Is This A Solid Computer????

sup guys. im buying my girl a comp for her b-day. i don’t know much about what’s good and what’s not. i’m checkin this one from www.memoryexpress.com . they are supposed to be the best around where i live in canada. here are the specs of the one i’m thinkin about.

Cost $569.95 CDN
AMD Sempron 2600+ processor
AMD Heatsing & Fan
ASUS A7V400-MX Motherboard w/ Video, Audio, Lan, USB 2.0
Kingston 512 MB PC 2700 DDR SDRAM
Elite V60 Black Mid Tower
ATX 400W Power Supply
Samsung 80GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Liteon 52x32x52 CDRW
Onboard Via UniChrome Graphics
Onboard 6-Channel 5.1 Audio
Onboard 10/100 Lan
One Year Parts and Labour WarrantyAMD Sempron 2600+ processor
AMD Heatsing & Fan
ASUS A7V400-MX Motherboard w/ Video, Audio, Lan, USB 2.0
Kingston 512 MB PC 2700 DDR SDRAM
Elite V60 Black Mid Tower
ATX 400W Power Supply
Samsung 80GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Liteon 52x32x52 CDRW
Onboard Via UniChrome Graphics
Onboard 6-Channel 5.1 Audio
Onboard 10/100 Lan
One Year Parts and Labour Warranty

make any sense to anyone?

Is that plus tax? You could probably do better than that. Go for an Intel CPU. Check out www.canadacomputers.com for a reference for decent prices on systems (they are in the GTA and Kingston if you’re in Ontario). Good luck.

It looks like you getting an on-board video card. If your daughter is wanting to play video games, I’d get a better graphics card. That on-board stuff gets to be a memory hog, as it borrows memory from your RAM.

Yeah I agree. It all looked good up until I saw onboard sound and graphics. It is always best to buy a motherboard without those on because they can be a real pain when you upgrade graphics and sound. However, if you are not going to use it for games, graphics applications or music sampling then I wouldnt worry about it.

I’m not to partial on the sempron processors.

Check this page out, it has nice deals on PC.

http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?node=deals

Personally, I don’t use any Intel crap in my boxes. AMD chips are every bit as good as Intel, and you get a better bang for your buck with the AMD chips.

Few things: Sorry if I missed it, but I didn’t see a monitor? Is that included? Also, what is your processor and front-bus speed? These play heavily in determining the computer throughput (processing data). Your RAM and hard drive capacity looks good.

I also didn’t see anything about inclusive SW. Companies like Dell inlude “basic” SW/monitor in their computer packages.

I’ve had gateway and Dell boxes. Right now I’m using a Dell Dimension 4600, with a 2.8 Ghz, P4 processor and it is smokin’. Also, if most of your computer usage is on-line, the performance will primarily hinge on your connection speed. I don’t care if your using a Mach5 super-computer, if your connecting via dial-up, it will be painful. It will be worth your time to explore a Dell or Gateway box. Because there sales volume is so high, they can offer more “bang for the consumer buck”.