Is Alcohol Counterproductive?

[quote]ctschneider wrote:

Vitamin A can be toxic at doses as low as 50,000 IU (2.5g) per day.

Zinc, Copper, and Selenium, at 19mg, 100mg, 1mg per day (respectively) have all produced toxicity in individuals.
This is significantly less than the hundred or so grams it takes to product acute alcohol toxicity. So should we all stop taking multivitamins?

[/quote]

That is such a terrible way to argue the point you are trying to make; all those cases of Vitamin A poisoning and driving under the influence of Zinc and whatnot…

Turns out it’s also much easier to accidentally consume “the hundred or so grams” of alcohol than it is to take 50,000 IU of vitamin A, especially given the nature of alcohol’s effect on your mental state.

Alcohol, even with it’s health benefits in moderation, still has health drawbacks in that same moderation(read post above). Your morning multivitamin may kill you if you down the entire 180 count bottle, but the first 2 pills will be nothing but healthy.

I think the argument hijack needs to stop so we can get back to the real issue here… The optimum protein shake + booze recipe. Strawberry vodka is pretty weak. I think chocolate protein powder + wild turkey 101 or your own choice of whiskey would work better. Add whatever else you want and enjoy.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
My body is a temple./ghey[/quote]

Vicomte 1 Negative nancies 0

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
I think the argument hijack needs to stop so we can get back to the real issue here… The optimum protein shake + booze recipe. Strawberry vodka is pretty weak. I think chocolate protein powder + wild turkey 101 or your own choice of whiskey would work better. Add whatever else you want and enjoy. [/quote]

You’re right. Sometimes threads just get way off topic. Back to what counts… how does Pernod & Lemonade Flavored Surge Workout Fuel sound? Too sweet?

How about brandy, gin, sweet vermouth, club soda, and Rootbeer flavored Surge Recovery served on the rocks in a highball glass? I think this might taste good. Plus it might lend an air of sophistication to your PWO shake, or barring that, get you drunk.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
Oh shit it’s a poison… oh shit it’s gonna be bad for your liver when you reach 80 years old.

Who cares? So through your entire life you’ll be surpressing this urge trying to prove you’re hardcore, while not having a great time. I mean if you truly believe this stuff is bad for you then it’s fine, but I think most people don’t drink just so they can brag to people that “they don’t ever drink alcohol, it’s like super-bad for you”.

And how much muscle would it cost you in the long run? 3-5 pounds? Yeah that’s worth it…[/quote]

I drink alcohol very occasionally but ive never gotten used to the taste.
I hate beer, wine and co but i dont mind some vodka or rum.
At whatever party i go to im usually having more fun than the guys with alcohol in their hands. Top that off to my good natured attitude :stuck_out_tongue:
I never liked alcohol and i dont see the point in forcing myself to like just to be cool and “have fun”.

“OH MY GFODZ I AMMMMMMMM SO FUR…IFJH…DRUNK. WOOHOO”

I find that just as sad as people who dont drink to show how they are uncomfortmist.

People should do what the fuck they want but to answer the thread title: yes.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
Oh shit it’s a poison… oh shit it’s gonna be bad for your liver when you reach 80 years old.

Who cares? So through your entire life you’ll be surpressing this urge trying to prove you’re hardcore, while not having a great time. I mean if you truly believe this stuff is bad for you then it’s fine, but I think most people don’t drink just so they can brag to people that “they don’t ever drink alcohol, it’s like super-bad for you”.

And how much muscle would it cost you in the long run? 3-5 pounds? Yeah that’s worth it…[/quote]

It could cost you three to five pounds per bulk cycle if you continue to drink while training. Im just providing information im not trying to tell anyone not to drink. All i know that since ive cut back on drinking when i diddnt feel i needed too (like while at work) and i don’t drink within three hours of a meal. My gains have been very good. Also my hangovers etc. no longer interfere with training because i only drink on nights when i don’t have to lift the next day.

you can drink for sure man i mean i do it too. However it would not be wise to drink within 3 hours of a meal as all those calories are just wasted and for sure be careful of what your drinking. All those delicious full flavor beers that i love to enjoy here and there (blue moon, guinness, american ale, michelob…) and even light beers are a shit ton of carbs and calories…

take shots you can get away with a fourth or so of the carbs… sometimes none… however stay away form shots with baileys… I stick to my whiskey and vodka… vodkas modest calories with no carbs… but remember its all getting stored as fat your not working off any as cals… so if your trying to lean up be wary of alcohol

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Dude, power hour before ME squat session.

Darwin awards FTW.

dude, power hours dont hit me at all! i did one last july with GoldSchlagger and went to my 8 A.M. Organic Chemistry Class without a problem
[/quote]

no fricken way you did Power Hour with Gold, let alone make it to your morning class

mmm gold schlagger… i’m assuming it wasn’t only that and mixed in with something else jehova.

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
Best thread ever… besides this post ^^^. Getting all sciency and stuff. I think its one of those things that depends on the person and their goals. As far as performance, as long as you counter the dehydration effect it shouldn’t hurt too much. If you like drinking and are getting good results / meeting your goals , don’t worry about it. Don’t sweat the petty stuff and don’t pet the sweaty stuff.

As for personal experience, i’ve hit prs deadlifting hammered and ive scored a try in every rugby match ive played hammered so i’m sold.[/quote]

this thread was started by someone who wanted some proper answers. thats where the ‘sciency stuff’ comes in, if you cant understand it fair enough. your weak opinions are just excuses for your lack of dedication.

scoring a try in every game you play when your hammered says less about the impact of alcohol on your performance than it does about the crap standard of rugby you must be playing, if thats ‘meeting your goals’ all the best to you

I drink and I’m still bigger than most people, I’m not too worried about it. Only time I cut it out is if I’m trying to drop some fat. Once a week never hurt anyone.

Alcohol is one of those individual things. It hinders people differently, depending on how your individual body handles it. I know that being half Korean, I turn red as hell/ heart beats fast/ and get wicked hangovers. This alone keeps me away compared to my college peers.

If you keep getting bigger and stronger while taking vodka in your preworkout shake, why stop? However, the fact that scientific literature points to the fact that consumption of alcohol halts protein synthesis why would you continue this?

I don’t think anyone on this board can tell you, “If you stop drinking, you will gain X amount of muscle mass and X amount of strength”

Why don’t you try it out, and report back to us?

Some people speak of alcohol as if it’s the devil incarnate. Sounds like the 20’s and prohibition all over again.

Okay kids, how about this one: of course you’ll get better results if you quit drinking. The less the better. You already knew that. On the other hand, this is just one of countless variables that determine your success at reaching your athletic/bodybuilding goals.

So the question is, are you satisfied with the progress you are making and the rate at which that progress is occurring? If so, why would you need to change your behavior? If not, then you need to start tweaking variables to see what works better.

But again, you already knew that.

The other two questions that I don’t think have been answered are alcohol and protein synthesis and alcohol and glycogen uptake. So is a pint with my post training steak going to seriously inhibit muscle recovery and repair? Or is the relaxing effect that seems to improve CNS recovery for me worth it?

I’m keener for some double blind studies than personal opinions here… Although other people’s experience is always useful.

I drink…I like it.

I lift weights…I like it.

I have had a shit load of fun drinking and going out and going to parties.

I think the dudes on this board that are so hard core that they avoid drinking because it “might” hinder their progress (an infinitesimal amount) are missing the point.

Go have some fun for FUCKS sake.

Yeah I was never going to stop drink completely. But if a couple after a squat session is going to wipe out half the gains then I might just wait until the next day…

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
I drink…I like it.

I think the dudes on this board that are so hard core that they avoid drinking because it “might” hinder their progress (an infinitesimal amount) are missing the point.

[/quote]

Amen brother.

If you don’t like drinking, don’t do it. But please don’t come on here and get all preachy telling everyone alcohol is satan incarnate.

If you do like drinking every now and then, why the hell would you quit just to drop that extra 1% body fat or to put 5 more pounds on your squat? Because that’s all the difference its gonna make. Is that gonna have a huge impact on your life? Unless you are getting paid a shit-ton of money for your performance, why quit doing something you enjoy?

[quote]rcsermas wrote:
UtahLama wrote:
I drink…I like it.

Amen brother.

If you don’t like drinking, don’t do it. But please don’t come on here and get all preachy telling everyone alcohol is satan incarnate.

If you do like drinking every now and then, why the hell would you quit just to drop that extra 1% body fat or to put 5 more pounds on your squat? Because that’s all the difference its gonna make. Is that gonna have a huge impact on your life? Unless you are getting paid a shit-ton of money for your performance, why quit doing something you enjoy? [/quote]

When I graduated high school, I was laboring for a brick/block contractor, working an average of 6 says a week. Come Friday, I came home, ate, showered, napped for an hour, worked out, then i’d shower again and go out drink all night, then try to get some sleep. Saturday morning (half the time I was still a little drunk) i’d get up, go to work, and then do it all over again. On Sundays I slept in and went to the gym later in the day.

I just made sure that I ate, and drank plenty of fluids after I was done drinking. I was young and I had a hell of a good time, usually. Great memories…and I still made gains at the gym. Although, it was hard when you’re doing physical labor for a living, but it can be done if you really want it to.

So true…

Some of the posters on this thread are those guys in the gym on Sat night at 9pm looking around thinking…

“I am so HARD CORE…I am gonna get all the chicks.”

News flash - girls like guys that can unwind and have fun…and maybe /shudder/ a cocktail or three.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
So true…

Some of the posters on this thread are those guys in the gym on Sat night at 9pm looking around thinking…

“I am so HARD CORE…I am gonna get all the chicks.”

News flash - girls like guys that can unwind and have fun…and maybe /shudder/ a cocktail or three.
[/quote]

What a boring life it would have been. Believe me, I had fun when I wasn’t drinking, but the stories and experiences that I had at parties, I wouldn’t trade for the world.

You can be disiplined, but still enjoy drinking as long as it’s in moderation. You’re only young once.