Is Alcohol Counterproductive?

i heard that drinking was bad for protein synthesis and all that, but i have been drinking since 10 th grade and i’m pretty muscular

so the questions are

1. do you think i’d get any bigger if i stopped drinking

2. how often should i drink? if its ok

and when i say drink, i mean the thursday through saturday type college stuff

jager,151,quervo,absinthe ect

i do not drink any kinda beer at all

plus, sometimes i put a couple shots of vodka in a protein shake before lifting for some courage to attack bigger weights lol

is that counterproductive?

Dude, power hour before ME squat session.

Darwin awards FTW.

The vodka in the protein shake made me seriously LOL

yes, the way your using it.

You’re a 280 pound Bouncer?

What’s the vodka to protein ratio you use?
I want in on the secret…

Seriously, though. What’s the verdict on Alcohol?

"The main problem with alcohol is not the number of calories it contains but rather the effect is has on fat metabolism. A recent study, for example, has shown that even small amounts of alcohol has a large impact on fat metabolism.

In this study eight men were given two drinks of vodka and lemonade separated by 30 minutes. Each drink contained just under 90 calories. Fat metabolism was measured before and after consumption of the drink. For several hours after drinking the vodka, whole body lipid oxidation (a measure of how much fat your body is burning) dropped by 73%.

The reason why alcohol has this dramatic effect on fat metabolism has to do with the way alcohol is handled in the body. When alcohol is consumed, it readily passes from the stomach and intestines into the blood and goes to the liver. In the liver, an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase mediates the conversion of alcohol to acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is rapidly converted to acetate by other enzymes. So rather than getting stored as fat, the main fate of alcohol is conversion into acetate, the amount of acetate formed is dose dependant on the amount of alcohol consumed. For example, blood levels of acetate after drinking the vodka were 2.5 times higher than normal. And it appears this sharp rise in acetate puts the brakes on fat loss.

The type of fuel your body uses is dictated to some extent by availability. This is one of the reasons for the induction phase of the Metabolic Diet. By severely limiting your carb intake your body is forced to rev up it?s fat burning machinery, so that you become fat adapted, and increase the use of protein for some of the functions, such as anaplerosis, that carbs are usually heavily involved in.

In other words, your body tends to use whatever you feed it, and after a time becomes adapted to the macronutrient intake. Unfortunately when acetate levels rise, your body burns the acetate preferentially, since acetate is basically the same product of beta oxidation of fatty acids and glycolysis (glucose to pyruvate to acetate), but it doesn?t? require the metabolic work to produce. So the body simply burns the acetate first, and with the rapid rise seen with alcohol intake, basically pushes fat oxidation out of the metabolic equation.

Because acetate is readily formed from alcohol it can be worse than taking in carbs as far as affecting fat metabolism. That?s because glucose has to be sequentially metabolized through various steps to form acetate while acetate is formed from alcohol in just a few steps. Also alcohol, because of it can be considered part way between carbs and fats, has more calories than carbs. That?s why even the low carb beers contain under 100 calories even though they only have about 2.5 grams of carbs and .5 grams of protein. While the carbs and protein only make up 12 calories, the 12 grams of alcohol make up the remaining 80 or so calories."- from metabolic diet found on bodybuilding.com

Youll never look like cutler or coleman or even Lesnar if you dont cut the alcohol… sorry mange

Best thread ever… besides this post ^^^. Getting all sciency and stuff. I think its one of those things that depends on the person and their goals. As far as performance, as long as you counter the dehydration effect it shouldn’t hurt too much. If you like drinking and are getting good results / meeting your goals , don’t worry about it. Don’t sweat the petty stuff and don’t pet the sweaty stuff.

As for personal experience, i’ve hit prs deadlifting hammered and ive scored a try in every rugby match ive played hammered so i’m sold.

alcohol is fucking vile shit

[quote]belligerent wrote:
In extreme excess, alcohol is fucking vile shit[/quote]

Fixed.

Poison.

drink drink drink, but dont expect your body to stick around as you get older and form longterm bad habits

[quote]elano wrote:
Poison.[/quote]

Everyone seems to forget this part.

Negative nancies

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
elano wrote:
Poison.

[/quote]

Of course it’s a poison. in sufficient amounts, everything’s a poison - even water. Ever heard of hypomatremia? In limited amounts, it’s probably not going to hurt you.

A drink or two a night = a few extra calories for bulking & a myriad of health benefits.

A twelve pack a night = cirrhosis of the liver.

Fuck all this shit, real T-men drink 3 gallons of rum a day.

Even a few drinks a night will damage your liver over the long run to an extent that is comparable to consuming supposedly thereputic doses of Tylenol on a daily basis.

[quote]ctschneider wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
elano wrote:
Poison.

Of course it’s a poison. in sufficient amounts, everything’s a poison - even water. Ever heard of hypomatremia? In limited amounts, it’s probably not going to hurt you.

A drink or two a night = a few extra calories for bulking & a myriad of health benefits.

A twelve pack a night = cirrhosis of the liver.[/quote]

Actually it IS a poison. The shit you drink is SUPER fucking diluted. 4 percent doesnt mean its 4 percent water.
It means its 4 percent alcohol.

Also, by your logic, drinking Hydrogen fluorid is ok…if it’s diluted enough. Right?
I mean sure it’s a poison but thats only if you drink alot.
Hey, why not have some dog shit. I mean of course it’s bad for you but in suffience amounts everything is a poison - even stupidity.
In limited amounts, it’s probably not going to hurt you.

crickets

[quote]blazindave wrote:
ctschneider wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
elano wrote:
Poison.

A twelve pack a night = cirrhosis of the liver.

Actually it IS a poison. The shit you drink is SUPER fucking diluted. 4 percent doesnt mean its 4 percent water.
It means its 4 percent alcohol.

Also, by your logic, drinking Hydrogen fluorid is ok…if it’s diluted enough. Right?
I mean sure it’s a poison but thats only if you drink alot.
Hey, why not have some dog shit. I mean of course it’s bad for you but in suffience amounts everything is a poison - even stupidity.

crickets[/quote]

Who the fuck drinks 4%?
fucking Coors light?..

[quote]blazindave wrote:

[/quote]

Why not? This guy does

Hell, you can even eat maggots. Turns out they are a great source of protein and calories