Injuries and calories

When you are injured you most likely can not move very much so your total expenditure is lower, however you need to heal so I think your body uses more calories resting than it would be if you are resting without injury so I do not how to calculate calories properly. Also is recovering after injury right time to lose weight or is better just to maintain it?

Do not lose weight, eat enough protein.

1 Like

I’ve been losing weight whilst coming back from injuries. I think as long as you’re not in an extreme deficit (no more than 300-500calories), it’s probably okay. Getting into a deeper calorie deficit than that though probably isn’t smart. I would imagine your bodyfat percentage has an impact on how deep is too deep. If I were less than 10% I probably wouldn’t be doing it, as in my mind I wouldn’t have the fat stores to facilitate the deficit whilst also having enough energy for recovery.

Would love to hear one of the elite coaches’ thoughts on this though. It’s entirely likely I’m doing the wrong thing.

1 Like

Did you know that clinical protein recommendations are typically ramped up by 50% or more (from the usual paltry 0.8 up to 1.2-1.5 grams per kg) for skeletal injury and trauma? Or that related energy (kcal) needs rise by 20-35% depending on your clinical method of calculation?

DURING ACUTE INJURY, ENERGY NEEDS ARE INCREASED. IN FACT, BMR
MAY INCREASE BY 15 - 50% BASED ON THE SEVERITY OF THE TRAUMA. FOR
EXAMPLE, SPORTS INJURY AND MINOR SURGERY MAY INCREASE BMR BY
15-20%, WHILE MAJOR SURGERY AND BURN INJURY MAY LEAD TO A 50%
INCREASE IN BMR. WHEN TRYING TO DETERMINE ENERGY NEEDS DURING
RECOVERY FROM INJURY, IT’S IMPORTANT TO CONSIDER THIS INCREASE IN
ENERGY REQUIREMENT

2 Likes