Importance of BCAA's?

I was just wondering why there is not more importance placed on your intake of BCCAA's and BCAA supplements, especially leucine? I know that a couple studies that showed the only amino acids that actually improved protein synthesis were the essential amino acids, and the three most important being the BCAA's, with leucine being the king. 

I was just wondering what the conversion of BCAA’s to regular whey isolate protein was per day? I was also wondering how stable are BCAA’s in liquid and how long can they be left in liquid until used? thanks

Seriously, with no major changes in diet, training, sleep, or life/work stresses, I gained roughly 10 [lb] following CT’s BCAA protocol of 10 grams of BCAA 5 times a day in ADDITION to meals.

I obviously believe very very strongly in branched chain aminos now.

My protein powder has a lot of BCAA’s per scoop. And I am getting bigger and stronger. Taking any kind of BCAA supplement would cost me more then just taking a scoop of protein powder. And a scoop of my protein powder has higher amount of BCAA’s then many popular BCAA supplements.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
My protein powder has a lot of BCAA’s per scoop. And I am getting bigger and stronger. Taking any kind of BCAA supplement would cost me more then just taking a scoop of protein powder. And a scoop of my protein powder has higher amount of BCAA’s then many popular BCAA supplements.[/quote]

All complete proteins contain BCAAs. They wouldn’t be considered complete if the didn’t.

What the OP is referring to is the effects of supplementing with high doses of BCAAs, likely much more than found in a scoop of your favorite protein. I agree with him that the recovery and muscle building effects of high-dose BCAA supplementation are surprising.

What aren’t they discussed more? I think it’s because they aren’t sexy enough. People want to talk about new stuff like CEE and NO2 supplements, which don’t hold a candle to BCAAs.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
My protein powder has a lot of BCAA’s per scoop. And I am getting bigger and stronger. Taking any kind of BCAA supplement would cost me more then just taking a scoop of protein powder. And a scoop of my protein powder has higher amount of BCAA’s then many popular BCAA supplements.

All complete proteins contain BCAAs. They wouldn’t be considered complete if the didn’t.

What the OP is referring to is the effects of supplementing with high doses of BCAAs, likely much more than found in a scoop of your favorite protein. I agree with him that the recovery and muscle building effects of high-dose BCAA supplementation are surprising.

What aren’t they discussed more? I think it’s because they aren’t sexy enough. People want to talk about new stuff like CEE and NO2 supplements, which don’t hold a candle to BCAAs.[/quote]

I said that my protein powder contains more BCAA’s per serving then does a serving of BCAA pills.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:
Seriously, with no major changes in diet, training, sleep, or life/work stresses, I gained roughly 10 [lb] following CT’s BCAA protocol of 10 grams of BCAA 5 times a day in ADDITION to meals.

I obviously believe very very strongly in branched chain aminos now. [/quote]

I’m willing to experiment with this, but I’m curious if you’ve continued with large doses of BCAA or if you cut back to your normal amount. I could shoulder the cost for a couple weeks, but I’m not willing to for years, know what I mean?

[quote]Leafblighter wrote:
buffd_samurai wrote:

I obviously believe very very strongly in branched chain aminos now.

I’m willing to experiment with this, but I’m curious if you’ve continued with large doses of BCAA or if you cut back to your normal amount. I could shoulder the cost for a couple weeks, but I’m not willing to for years, know what I mean?

[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean.
I have cut back on my intake of BCAAs to match more what the article recommended, and subsequently upped my total protein intake to compensate somewhat.

I haven’t lost weight since doing this, but I must say that taking the pills was easier than eating that much more…at least for me!

I was wondering this same thing myself.

I would really like to use them, but at the doses I’ve seen recomended, they just seem too expensive right now.

Just from hearing this I’ll give BCAA’s a try. Not right now though. When I get more moulah. I’ll be sure to follow CT’s BCAA protocol.

I think for best results you need to take them on an empty stomach. IE within protein powders the other AAs compete for absorbtion.

Inorder to get the high gh and insulin release that has to happen. If you really want to feel the amazing effects, try at least 20 during your workout with some glutamine.

Thats poloquins favorite. actually he likes 40g during workout.

Its better to take full spectrum amino acids and or liver tabs Beverlys fav with meals or between,

but bcaas I think are only beneficial during and after a workout.

I think that BCAA’s are intriguing for both gaining and loosing weight.

I think they are the most attractive if you’re trying to loose weight…it’s an extremely efficient way of getting what you need to your muscles without having all the calories.

I think they’re also convienient for those who are trying to get that extra bulk but simply can’t put down the food.

Are they expensive…yes, but it’s all relative when you start to seperate everything.

BCAAs are certainly beneficial in lower doses and between meals. I think most if not all would see benefits from 4 pills 4 times a day between meals or even 3 times a day between meals. Assuming proper diet and training, you wouldn’t lose your gains when switching from those very high doses of protocols like CT’s to lower doses or discontinuing for a time.

[quote]tallan_30 wrote:
I was just wondering why there is not more importance placed on your intake of BCCAA’s and BCAA supplements, especially leucine? I know that a couple studies that showed the only amino acids that actually improved protein synthesis were the essential amino acids, and the three most important being the BCAA’s, with leucine being the king.

I was just wondering what the conversion of BCAA’s to regular whey isolate protein was per day? I was also wondering how stable are BCAA’s in liquid and how long can they be left in liquid until used? thanks[/quote]

We place plenty of importance on them.

Check out this article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1123403

how long are they stable in water if i am using a powder form?

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:I said that my protein powder contains more BCAA’s per serving then does a serving of BCAA pills.
[/quote]

Have you considered that some people may be using more than a “serving” of BCAAs at a time?

With something like BCAAs, what’s considered a “serving” is arbitrary.

[quote]Shortest Straw wrote:Its better to take full spectrum amino acids and or liver tabs Beverlys fav with meals or between,…
[/quote]

Care to explain why you believe this to be true?

In contrast to a BCAA supplement, I believe that standard amino acid supplements are redundant if you consume enough protein.

I’ve also never had anyone give a sound explanation as to why liver tablets should be used.

I just have to say I have been using Biotest BCAA’s since their release. I use them first thing in the morning, then before, during, and after, my weight training, then throughout the day, and before going to bed. My muscles are harder, I am stronger, I am slowly but consistently dropping fat and also due to BETA-7 my endurance in my workouts is better then it ever has been. Count me a big believer in BCAA supplementation.

D

How long did it take you to gain the 10lbs? How long did you do the super high dose protocol?

Down the hatch !!! Get’m & Eat’m up - simply enough - Importance: High