IF, Fasted Cardio, Training and PWO Nutrition

hi guys

I’m currently following the daily fast protocol outlined by Dr J Berardi here on Tnation (as I’m finding it more convenient than the 6 meals a day and easier to stick to) while predominately eating a paleo orientated diet.

With regards to training, I perform fasted cardio in the form of complexes (with mile and a half runs to be added) within 30 minutes of rising. I sip a BCAA shake while training and then continue the “fast” till after my main/heavy workout circa 5-5:30pm which I also have a BCAA shake to sip during this session. After which I have a “super shake” comprised of whey, oats and superfood, and shortly after my main meal (have shake while cooking!)

With regards to nutrition and training while following an IF approach I was mainly unsure as to wether I should include a shake or meal intake after the fasted cardio session? if so, what should I be looking to take?

Any feedback/criticism concerning any parts of the plan are welcome and appreciated.

Height 5’11"
Weight 91kg (~200.2lb)
BF% ~12-17 (depends on when I take readings. It’s a tanita scale)

Aiming to hit single digit. And poss drop down to 180-190lb (need lower BMI for forces!!)

Hodge twins say they don’t take anything post workout to spur on HGH release. They said the exact opposite before that, so fuck knows.

I would think getting carbs in you post workout is probably more important than protein, simple fasting acting, maybe a white potato with some tuna?

Or these…pretty fast acting.

Ian, holla at your boy!

How many calories are you getting in a day.

+1 on the post workout carbs…try adding maltodextrin to the shake. This was advised by Layne Norton and many others. Since doing so my training has been better. Interestingly you are training much later in the day, when exactly are you having all your meals?

[quote]Moonboots wrote:
hi guys

Aiming to hit single digit. And poss drop down to 180-190lb (need lower BMI for forces!!)[/quote]

Out of interest mate, what made you decide to join the military?

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:

[quote]Moonboots wrote:
Aiming to hit single digit. And poss drop down to 180-190lb (need lower BMI for forces!!)[/quote]
Out of interest mate, what made you decide to join the military? [/quote]
Service Guarantees Citizenship.

[quote]Moonboots wrote:
With regards to nutrition and training while following an IF approach I was mainly unsure as to wether I should include a shake or meal intake after the fasted cardio session? if so, what should I be looking to take?
[/quote]
If your following the IF approach you don’t need to take a shake after your morning cardio.

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:

[quote]Moonboots wrote:
hi guys

Out of interest mate, what made you decide to join the military? [/quote]

Her Royal Majesty’s Forces. Live in Great Britain. :slight_smile: we don’t get citizenship for service. Waiting to apply to Sandhurst, but have had to put it on hold for a year as I had an opp in March and there is a 12month bar after any surgery before joining.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Moonboots wrote:
[/quote]
If your following the IF approach you don’t need to take a shake after your morning cardio. [/quote]

Is taking a BCAA during workout okay or would it be better to leave it till later in the day?

[quote]TrapsLatsnHat wrote:
How many calories are you getting in a day.

+1 on the post workout carbs…try adding maltodextrin to the shake. This was advised by Layne Norton and many others. Since doing so my training has been better. Interestingly you are training much later in the day, when exactly are you having all your meals?[/quote]

Can only train the second time then due to work have a shake with roughly 500cal comprised of almond milk whey superfood and oats

I then eat within an hour to an hour and. Half of finishing the workout prob get 1200-1500cal a day ATM but that is a rough estimate. .

[quote]Moonboots wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Moonboots wrote:
[/quote]
If your following the IF approach you don’t need to take a shake after your morning cardio. [/quote]
Is taking a BCAA during workout okay or would it be better to leave it till later in the day?[/quote]
Taking BCAA’s is fine during the fasted portion of the day. No need for them once you break the fast though. (ie. after your 5:30pm weight training session you don’t need to add them to your super shake) Reason being, your body will have plenty of aminos on hand from the break down of the food you are eating, that’s why they are useful in a fasted state.

[quote]Moonboots wrote:
…prob get 1200-1500cal a day ATM but that is a rough estimate. . [/quote]
That is way too little, I never recommend below 2000 for an adult male.
Absolute bare-minimum for an adult male is 1500, IMO.

If you are going below 2000 make sure you only stay at that level for 4 weeks or less.
You are playing a dangerous game with your metabolism so be careful.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Moonboots wrote:

If you are going below 2000 make sure you only stay at that level for 4 weeks or less.
You are playing a dangerous game with your metabolism so be careful. [/quote]

It was just a guesstimate, I’m not entirely sure. Will do some calculations to check this evening. What happens with you metabolism?

[quote]Moonboots wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Moonboots wrote:

You are playing a dangerous game with your metabolism so be careful. [/quote]

It was just a guesstimate, I’m not entirely sure. Will do some calculations to check this evening. What happens with you metabolism?[/quote]

Check yo macros mayne!

wb if your traning lasts longer than 2 hours and your doing the if protocol and you consume bcaas before traing do you recomned consuming some during your workout aswell
?

[quote]Moonboots wrote:

[/quote]

all your answers and a lot more :

period

Mat’

[quote]Moonboots wrote:
hi guys

I’m currently following the daily fast protocol outlined by Dr J Berardi here on Tnation (as I’m finding it more convenient than the 6 meals a day and easier to stick to) while predominately eating a paleo orientated diet.

With regards to training, I perform fasted cardio in the form of complexes (with mile and a half runs to be added) within 30 minutes of rising. I sip a BCAA shake while training and then continue the “fast” till after my main/heavy workout circa 5-5:30pm which I also have a BCAA shake to sip during this session. After which I have a “super shake” comprised of whey, oats and superfood, and shortly after my main meal (have shake while cooking!)

Any feedback/criticism concerning any parts of the plan are welcome and appreciated.

Height 5’11"
Weight 91kg (~200.2lb)
BF% ~12-17 (depends on when I take readings. It’s a tanita scale)

Don’t take anything. Just fast and then eat when you would normally break the fast. The longer you fast the better the results will be. The point of the fast is to provide your body the beneficial hormonal response and give your digestive system a chance to recover itself.

If you have any visible body fat do not take any supplements before, during or after your training sessions. They just make you more fat despite their claims to the contrary. Let real food be your supplementation.

[quote]mat_angus wrote:

[quote]Moonboots wrote:

[/quote]

all your answers and a lot more :

period

Mat’
[/quote]

Any good? I’m getting it because it’s cheap anyway

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]mat_angus wrote:

[quote]Moonboots wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Any good? I’m getting it because it’s cheap anyway
[/quote]

best nutrition book have ever bought (and I bought tons…)

Mat’
PS.‘intermittent feast’ from the same autor is just released
PS2. and yes, I just bought this one too :wink: