I Need Your Wisdom. I Hate Lifting.

But I do want some level of strength. Can a person get away with just 4 exercises and not develop some awful imbalances or something.

Here is what I have started to do.

Power Cleans
Push press or bench press (alternating workouts)
Squats or deadlifts (alternating workouts)
pulldowns or rows (alternating workouts)

Plus I do abs and lower back. That does not take me too long so I get out of the gym relatively quick. Do I need to make some changes to optimize what I am doing.

As for results, I have gone from 218 to 201 doing this. Am I screwing myself up? (in terms of injury risk and such)

I’m pretty sure that people are going to ask what your diet is like, and what your specific long term goals are in order to better help you.

But don’t quote me on it.

Looks good to me. Even number of push and pull. Hits all muscle groups. For someone who hates lifting you picked the most taxing exercises.

Just hate the gym so I tried to figure out something quick and dirty. I picked the hard ones to get the most out of my time.

As for goals, I have no major goals. Just want to be able to pick stuff up when I need to do it. Not be a weak man. Have a body that follows my commands and does not disappoint me greatly if I am helping someone move furniture. My diet is all over the place. In school right now so I eat crazy stuff at crazy times.

Get a copy of “Starting Strength” by Rippetoe.

He uses 5 exercises:

The bench and press alternate workouts. The deadlift and power clean alternate workouts. You squat every workout. You add weight in small increments often as you adapt.

Squat
Bench
Press
Deadlift
Power Clean

Loooks like you got the big three which is what you want for your goals. I would just cycle between reps schemes and you should be fine.

Thanks for the input, gents.

I will definitely get that book.

You could add chins and alternate between the three. I like chins way better though.
God Bless Lonnie

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
Looks like you got the big three which is what you want for your goals. I would just cycle between reps schemes and you should be fine.

I agree.

I’d replace the pulldowns with chins though.[/quote]

Oh yeah good one Push! I been doing Chins and Pull ups since the end of Football. Pull downs can’t even compare!

You’re on to something. I think a lot of us to often start to add to many sets and exercises. Basic, big exercises are enough. I try to keep it simple. No pendlay rows or anything like that.

Don’t be baggin’ on my pendlay rows, man. I have all sorts of adjectival exercises. The more syllables in the adjectives, the better the exercise.

The reverse half-twist palestinian lateral raise with grimace is gonna make me HYOOJ! Then you’ll be sad you ever made fun of my training.

I put that in there for you skid. The pendlay rows sound like a great exercise. i may even try them.

[quote]GaryCDeWitt wrote:
Get a copy of “Starting Strength” by Rippetoe.[/quote]

I don’t post here very often, but I heartily second this recommendation. You can’t go wrong with this book.

-Fred.