Hunting Season

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Speaking of Flintlocks, I was out with mine yesterday and saw a little one, but let it walk. It will be bigger next year. Also, my town just passed an extended urban archery season, so 2 more months to put meat in the freezer. I was tempted to shoot him, just because I’ve been hunting with my flintlock long rifle for 3 years, and haven’t killed anything with it yet. [/quote]

I don’t think anyone would have a problem with someone taking a little one for his first deer with a flintlock. Hell, who knows even if the damn thing goes off. Good luck with that extended season for archery and getting an educated deer within 20 yards and pulling off a draw. Some advice; keep your bow out in the cold and then shoot it with all your gear on. Too many guys think everything’s the same as when it’s 75 degrees and they are in a tanktop.

Best of luck my friend![/quote]

I agree. When learning a new skill while hunting I think you should decrease your standards a little bit. That’s the way I was with bow hunting for a long time. If it had hair it was in trouble if it got close enough.

I guess it was just a matter of time until I got my buck. I just need my wife to say, “Maybe this is the year you go without a one”

Flintlock, 50 yard shot, 50 yard death run, 500 yard drag including a stream crossing.

I guess it was just a matter of time until I got my buck. I just need my wife to say, “Maybe this is the year you go without a one”

Flintlock, 50 yard shot, 50 yard death run, 500 yard drag including a stream crossing. [/quote]

Nice work with flintlock! I want one.

I have an inline, but it’s just like a rifle.

Nice job!

Why do you look surprised?

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Nice job!

Why do you look surprised?[/quote]

LOL!Self-timer on the cell phone, too cold and too much butchering to do to make a photo shoot out of it. You should have seen the look when I saw it was a buck headed my way. You never see them this time of year. Most are in a freeze by now, some have start to drop there antlers and the smart ones are only at at 1:00 in the morning.

Flintlock, 50 yard shot, 50 yard death run, 500 yard drag including a stream crossing. [/quote]
Got that deer in the headlights look lol.

[quote]csulli wrote:

Got that deer in the headlights look lol.[/quote]

I guess I tee’ed it up, and you hit it. I love wit, even if I am on the other side at times.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Speaking of Flintlocks, I was out with mine yesterday and saw a little one, but let it walk. It will be bigger next year. Also, my town just passed an extended urban archery season, so 2 more months to put meat in the freezer. I was tempted to shoot him, just because I’ve been hunting with my flintlock long rifle for 3 years, and haven’t killed anything with it yet. [/quote]

I don’t think anyone would have a problem with someone taking a little one for his first deer with a flintlock. Hell, who knows even if the damn thing goes off. Good luck with that extended season for archery and getting an educated deer within 20 yards and pulling off a draw. Some advice; keep your bow out in the cold and then shoot it with all your gear on. Too many guys think everything’s the same as when it’s 75 degrees and they are in a tanktop.

Best of luck my friend![/quote]

I’ve been hunting with the flintlock for three years now, and have let quite a few slick heads walk. I built it myself with some help from a master gunsmith. With a flintlock a quality lock is everything, I used a Jim Chambers lock on mine. A good flintlock is not as simple as a percussion, but when you do things properly they are every bit as reliable. I’ll post some pictures of my rifle on here. By the way, what kind of flintlock do you have there? Let’s see some pics.

The doe I got this year was in town with the crossbow, they are very tame, which is why they’re such a nuisance. It’s really not even sporting, but they need to go. But I want to get a compound bow and get good with it, so thanks for the advice. I will start practicing in my gear.