Hunting Season

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Got two nice ones on game camera’s this year. They made Archery season include crossbows this year so I am kind of wondering how that’s going to effect my early season public land honey holes. Our archery season opens Oct 1. Going to try to take out some doves tomorrow.[/quote]

In PA they started the Xbow about 10 years ago. It’s settled down some and the technology has caught up but your in for a treat. Guys out there thinking they can now shoot at 60 yds. and deer running around with arrows in their ass. I have a Xbow and harvested with it, not very thrilling for me.

I will say I like the fact that the Jr. & Sr. can now enjoy archary. Maybe I will return to it for some early fun, or when I can no longer pull back 65 lbs.[/quote]

I see the accessibility issue, but I basically believe it’s laziness and not having to move to draw. Especially with modern let off’s.

Modern compounds can kill deer at 100 yards with practice. I’ve never pushed my pins past 60 yards. Maybe one day, but no real need in the east. [/quote]

Last year I took a buck and a doe during archery. Both from the same stand at 12 yds., 4 days apart. After butchering 2 that quick, I didn’t want to shoot again for awhile!
[/quote]

Nice shot placement and congrats on the archery buck.

I’m flying home for the last two weeks of PA Archery Season. Its been a tradition to take the last week off to hunt with my father the past few years, being in Japan won’t halt that.

I’ve been on a “every other year” type record for harvesting a deer. This is my year if that holds true, though not placing any pressure. I’ll be excited to be out in the woods to experience nature and see some deer. Been hunting the same stand for the past 5 years. Seen buck every year.

Good luck to those hunters going out for Archery Season. Aim small, miss small.

Still early anterless season and he’s gotta show up within 30 yds. I hope he makes the same mistake next week infront of my son!

Anyone else hunt’n with a recurve or long bow ??

[quote]FOX FIRE wrote:
Anyone else hunt’n with a recurve or long bow ??[/quote]

Nope. Maybe one day, but the compound is challenging enough for now.

[quote]FOX FIRE wrote:

I cant bring myself to take that step yet. That never has been something that really called to me though.

Anyone have any blood in the woods?

Pa rifle started today. I took my 10 y.o. out. He passed on a little one. Very little action in my area, Monroe County.

I jumped a decent looking buck Friday walking to my stand. Saturday just before dark one was walking through the mountain laurel on the ridge below me just out of sight. I used a buck grunt/wheeze call, which I’ve fooled with some but never had any luck with, and the wheeze really set him off. He wouldn’t come up though.

I’m encouraged that he/them are there. There’s also four or five fresh rubs on the power line next to me. Last year by this time there was nothing happening on the land I hunt at all.

I killed a doe two weeks ago that I got 40 lbs of meat off of, so I can relax now and look for something to hang on the wall.

My fortune cookie last night said “A couple of extra bucks could be floating in your direction”. I hope those chinese know what they’re talking about.

Word of warning to all my fellow hunters, had a friend this weekend stick his Streamlight battery pack in his pocket with his bullets, somehow it managed to heat the bullets up to the point of one of them exploding in his pocket. Just a work of warning.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
I jumped a decent looking buck Friday walking to my stand. Saturday just before dark one was walking through the mountain laurel on the ridge below me just out of sight. I used a buck grunt/wheeze call, which I’ve fooled with some but never had any luck with, and the wheeze really set him off. He wouldn’t come up though.

I’m encouraged that he/them are there. There’s also four or five fresh rubs on the power line next to me. Last year by this time there was nothing happening on the land I hunt at all.

I killed a doe two weeks ago that I got 40 lbs of meat off of, so I can relax now and look for something to hang on the wall.

My fortune cookie last night said “A couple of extra bucks could be floating in your direction”. I hope those chinese know what they’re talking about.[/quote]

There’s a good chance of getting shot in some of the areas I hunt if you are grunting at dusk or dawn. The last thing you need to do is convince a dumb-ass guy with a gun that you are a deer. Be safe my friend and happy hunting.

Anyone have any blood in the woods?

Pa rifle started today. I took my 10 y.o. out. He passed on a little one. Very little action in my area, Monroe County.[/quote]

2 does, 1 eight point, Stuck a doe in archery and lost it.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Word of warning to all my fellow hunters, had a friend this weekend stick his Streamlight battery pack in his pocket with his bullets, somehow it managed to heat the bullets up to the point of one of them exploding in his pocket. Just a work of warning.[/quote]

I learned not to keep live rounds in my pocket back in the Boy Scouts. Pocket lint sticks to lead bullets and doesn’t do your accuracy any favors. Here we have one more reson why it’s not the best idea. Your friend was lucky if he escaped serious injury. A rifle cartridge cookoff in one’s pocket is no joke.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Word of warning to all my fellow hunters, had a friend this weekend stick his Streamlight battery pack in his pocket with his bullets, somehow it managed to heat the bullets up to the point of one of them exploding in his pocket. Just a work of warning.[/quote]

I learned not to keep live rounds in my pocket back in the Boy Scouts. Pocket lint sticks to lead bullets and doesn’t do your accuracy any favors. Here we have one more reson why it’s not the best idea. Your friend was lucky if he escaped serious injury. A rifle cartridge cookoff in one’s pocket is no joke. [/quote]

Yeah, he was fine, had a bloody welp and some battery acid irritation, He had on multiple layers so that worked to protect his skin a little. Told me the scariest part for him was his 4 year old son was sitting on his lap when the bullet went off. Scared the kid to death and gave him a nice welp but nothing major.

[quote]FOX FIRE wrote:

haven’t done it in a few yrs but loved it. had an ugly factory 2nd Bear recurve that never missed. however, the guy pulling the string did screw up more than a few times. depending on how you hunt you’ll really find out how your stalking skills are. don’t go for a real heavy pull to start with. plenty of deer have been taken with 45-55 lb pulls.

Samick is now making bows at very reasonable prices so you can get one to try without breaking the bank. they make take downs and you can order various limb wts. if you get one from 3rivers they’ll do a set up on it for $15.
the guitar players know who Samick is. they’ve been making Epiphone, Squire, and other guitars for yrs.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

I learned not to keep live rounds in my pocket back in the Boy Scouts. Pocket lint sticks to lead bullets and doesn’t do your accuracy any favors. Here we have one more reson why it’s not the best idea. Your friend was lucky if he escaped serious injury. A rifle cartridge cookoff in one’s pocket is no joke. [/quote]

I was so looking forward to you chiming in! I have heard of a cook-off in a gun but never in a pocket. The temperature a cartridge would have to reach is very high yet I guess anything is possible.

As for lint on a round; it’s a non-factor for a guy using a 30-30 with factory loads and shooting at 75 yds. (bet you want that in meters) I have a feeling your precision far out exceeds the average PA hunter.

Last day of rifle in the Pocono Mountains of PA. Didn’t see a tail but wow!

Some sonofabitch got my buck. 9 pointer with a 19" spread. I’d jumped him twice on the land I hunt, (the buck, not the other hunter) and had him pass by my stand near dark a couple of times but never got a shot. I knew someone had left a climbing stand close to mine but as the land is semi public that’s fair game.

Oh well, good for him. I’ve let a few does walk recently while waiting for Bullwinkle, but from now til the end of the season if it’s brown it’s down.

Harvested a nice doe at 60 yds. First time I dropped one with a flintlock; they always seem to run awhile with those things.

8 degrees when I went out, -1 when I was done butchering. Now I remember why I like bow so much!

Speaking of Flintlocks, I was out with mine yesterday and saw a little one, but let it walk. It will be bigger next year. Also, my town just passed an extended urban archery season, so 2 more months to put meat in the freezer. I was tempted to shoot him, just because I’ve been hunting with my flintlock long rifle for 3 years, and haven’t killed anything with it yet.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Speaking of Flintlocks, I was out with mine yesterday and saw a little one, but let it walk. It will be bigger next year. Also, my town just passed an extended urban archery season, so 2 more months to put meat in the freezer. I was tempted to shoot him, just because I’ve been hunting with my flintlock long rifle for 3 years, and haven’t killed anything with it yet. [/quote]

I don’t think anyone would have a problem with someone taking a little one for his first deer with a flintlock. Hell, who knows even if the damn thing goes off. Good luck with that extended season for archery and getting an educated deer within 20 yards and pulling off a draw. Some advice; keep your bow out in the cold and then shoot it with all your gear on. Too many guys think everything’s the same as when it’s 75 degrees and they are in a tanktop.

Best of luck my friend!