How to Keep One's Mouth Shut

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
harris447 wrote:
If you really don’t want to talk to people, then just walk around looking irritated.

Hahaha. Very good!

…Or always have some kind of engrossing looking reading material. If people start gossiping, I’ll pull out some book, usually medical or scientific, and read while simultaneously slightly scowling, as if completely engrossed. They never try to suck me into the conversation, you’ll find people will respect your quiet activity and leave you alone. Same applies if you’re in the mood where you don’t feel like conversing with anyone. And if you’re not in the mood to read, you can still hold the reading material in front of you and act like you are. Works every time, people always leave you alone… SCOWL SLIGHTLY AND LOOK LIKE YOU’RE ENGROSSED WITH YOUR READING MATERIAL.

[/quote]

BRILIANT!! Absolutely marvelous!

I just realized I have been doing this without knowing it! Works almost every time.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
vroom wrote:
As a programmer, it is important to be exact, to be correct, to be right. We learn to examine and nitpick the tiniest detail and consider our solution under every condition we can imagine, and indeed, if we do this well, we create robust adaptable systems that are very valueable to somebody.

vroom -

You just explained more about yourself in that paragraph than you will probably ever really know.

[/quote]

Not really. My job is no different. If I royally screw up, somebody dies. I have to put things in lay terms on a daily basis, along with make the information so easy to accept that someone who has no education can actually “get it”. What he wrote works across many professions. Bottom line, there is a time and place for everything. Life soon teaches you that it is often wise to just shut the fuck up and let the other guy expose everything first.

Heavy post there vroom, but true.

Thanks for the great advice.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Not really. My job is no different. If I royally screw up, somebody dies. I have to put things in lay terms on a daily basis, along with make the information so easy to accept that someone who has no education can actually “get it”. What he wrote works across many professions. Bottom line, there is a time and place for everything. Life soon teaches you that it is often wise to just shut the fuck up and let the other guy expose everything first.[/quote]

I was referring to his posting style (especially in the political forum) and how what he said explains why he posts the way it does.

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
chinadoll wrote:
harris447 wrote:
If you really don’t want to talk to people, then just walk around looking irritated.

Hahaha. Very good!

…Or always have some kind of engrossing looking reading material. If people start gossiping, I’ll pull out some book, usually medical or scientific, and read while simultaneously slightly scowling, as if completely engrossed. They never try to suck me into the conversation, you’ll find people will respect your quiet activity and leave you alone. Same applies if you’re in the mood where you don’t feel like conversing with anyone. And if you’re not in the mood to read, you can still hold the reading material in front of you and act like you are. Works every time, people always leave you alone… SCOWL SLIGHTLY AND LOOK LIKE YOU’RE ENGROSSED WITH YOUR READING MATERIAL.

BRILIANT!! Absolutely marvelous!

I just realized I have been doing this without knowing it! Works almost every time.[/quote]

Haha. It does work, don’t it!

I work in a 30x15 foot concession stand,complete with grills/fryers/etc.There are at least 8 people crammed in there.Most of them are dumber then the 5 yr old who is ordering.I talk to the ones that wont be offended by what I say,and I make sure we’re alone when I say it.

It’s common sense man.Politics,personal life,religion,and the like are things you just dont talk about at work.Hell I dont even talk about them at school except with my best bud,and i still whisper.Learn to bite your damn tongue.

[quote]swivel wrote:
take 3 controlled breaths and realize by opening your mouth, you’re becoming ann coulter.[/quote]

Man, that’s a really low blow.

Honestly, you must accept the fact that what you say will NOT change the minds of those willing to debate with you. Anyone who starts their part of the conversation/debate from a deliberate, and defined opinion is a lost casue. Save your breath.

If someone comes up and asks: “What is your take on such and such?”, you may have a change of dispensing some useful information (keep it brief).