How to Keep One's Mouth Shut

Dude I have the same thing as you. Always pointed out mistakes the teachers made, things I thought was unfair, took neither side of an argument and tryed to logically come with pro’s and con’s and stuff discussing with people and I don’t think you should stop doing that if it’s in your nature. But just don’t do it with the people that are really uninterested because they’ll think you are better knowing jackass after a while, which isn’t what you intended in the first place. I don’t know if you have tryed the MBTI test, but I think it actually has some credibility, amongst the bullshit. Personally I’m INTP (which there is a 1/100 likelihood of being), and I am guessing you are the same type of personality perhaps more outgoing. Anyway try it if you haven’t allready:

And then find a site with more details about your personality site. I know you probably think it is bullshit, so did I, but after a while it made sense and helps me figure out the reaction patterns of the person I meet.

take 3 controlled breaths and realize by opening your mouth, you’re becoming ann coulter.

I have one rule in every conversation I have :

As long as your mouth is moving more than mine, I have the advantage.

Don’t know if this helps.

I used to(still do, occasionally)be troubled by nothing at all, but my own big mouth. I had to make funny comments on everything, or tell stories and all, and people absolutely loved it. However, you quickly become “that guy” when you’re always talking, and I realised it was probably more out of insecurity that I tried to get attention. And of course, if some stories didn’t work, more would probably do the trick.

After a while people love hearing you entertain them, but they rarely listen or ask about you themselves.

Only other thing I can tell you : make deadlines. I often study with other people around and I can’t NOT make conversation either, so I force myself to do X amount of work before I talk to anyone.

Write it down on a piece of paper and put it in your field of vision, it’ll help.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
“gold diggers of information”[/quote]

OMG, right on the nose funny!!!

And, I’m obviously the wrong person to place any input into the suject, BUT…the first thing that came to mind was 1.Duct Tape, 2.“Smile and Nod”.

A friend of mine taught me this, and I’ve used it for years, and it really works well…the “Smile and Nod” technique. DEFINITELY will keep your mouth shut. Say for example someone at your job is saying something offensive…rather than say anything at all, even defensively, just keep your mouth shut, look at them attentively, then SMILE and NOD. That’s it. Works every time.

It helps to think the phrase to yourself over and over again in your mind (“Just smile and nod, smile and nod”) if the person is being really terrible and you’d like to punch them in the nose or put them in their place, or something to that effect that could get you into real trouble. And this is particularly useful in those kinds of “no win” situations where you would get into all kinds of trouble for correcting the person, defending yourself, etc.

Just SMILE AND NOD!!!

I have a variation, being in a supervisory type of situation, when I have to deal with complaints, venting employees, etc… The LOOK OF CONCERN AND NOD. Works every time too.

LOOK OF CONCERN AND NOD…

[quote]Leeuwer wrote:
Write it down on a piece of paper and put it in your field of vision, it’ll help.[/quote]

Thanks.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
If you really don’t want to talk to people, then just walk around looking irritated.
[/quote]

Hahaha. Very good!

…Or always have some kind of engrossing looking reading material. If people start gossiping, I’ll pull out some book, usually medical or scientific, and read while simultaneously slightly scowling, as if completely engrossed. They never try to suck me into the conversation, you’ll find people will respect your quiet activity and leave you alone. Same applies if you’re in the mood where you don’t feel like conversing with anyone. And if you’re not in the mood to read, you can still hold the reading material in front of you and act like you are. Works every time, people always leave you alone… SCOWL SLIGHTLY AND LOOK LIKE YOU’RE ENGROSSED WITH YOUR READING MATERIAL.

It isn’t not talking at all, it’s choosing the right subjects. I was amazed to discover that in ‘charm school’ social conversations were practiced. A quiz might consist of being required to bring up several neutral topics in succession. There’s more that’s neutral than just the weather, but practicing neutral chatting wouldn’t hurt. Comments about some of the local current events, cars, sports, golf, great places to eat and so on can be rehearsed in advance and drawn upon when in need.

Asking folks for information on these neutral topics can also be quite useful. “Where’s the best Chinese takeout in the area?” “Are you planning to go to any baseball games this summer?” “Did you test-drive the new clunka-mobile?”

Once you’ve triggered them to speak, just listen, nod every so often and determine if an additional question will be required to get the person to keep talking.

You will be considered a brilliant conversationalist.

[quote]Ladyjaine wrote:
You will be considered a brilliant conversationalist. [/quote]

Hahah, I’m long past capable of that one.

I do appreciate the advice everyone has given. I’m going to try to spend more time engaging my work and less time paying attention to the chatter around me, and remember that anything I say is likely to be annoying and/or offensive.

I really hate those computer nerd guys who talk down to everyone, express their wacky views constantly, and have no social skills to speak of. You know what they say… we hate in others what we hate in ourselves.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
orion wrote:
That does not mean you can change it without compromising everything you stand for…

I’m an obnoxious, motormouth know-it-all. Me mastering my need to comment and join in conversations has absolutely nothing to do with anything I stand for, and everything to do with getting along with others and not being a pain in the ass for other people. I’m just hoping there is some way to accomplish this without simply relying on will, since I obviously have poor impulse control for this sort of thing.[/quote]

Some alternatives: Humor, change the subject, mirror their comments to put them in a position where they have to justify themselves, acknowledge what they say only to get plug one of the above tactics, see them as using your own words against you. Any sort of aikido/judo-esque verbal tactic works generally better than a too direct approach. Sad but true. If you are too direct, you can be tagged as ‘unpleasant’, which apparently means a lot in the Estrogen world.

Realizing that your opinion is only important in proportion to how they see themselves reflected in it, and that most people are only talking to get a reaction also helps to take things less seriously.

When you find yourself about to enter a political (or social, etc.) conversation with people whom you know do not share your view it often helps if you supplicate to thier whim. For example, I often begin a conversation with, “it’s just my opinion, but…”

In a similar vein I usually end my editorials with, “but what do I know, I’m just an asshole.”

You can add your own flair if you like.

It’s best not to get into these conversations at work especially if you know you’re more intelligent than those around you because it has a way as coming across as arrogance–and nobody likes that. Fortunately, this is not the case where I work.

Naturally being a annoying in temperment is something you are going to have to work around. Then again you could just go work for the government, that seems to attract those with zero social skills.

[quote]Soco wrote:
Naturally being a annoying in temperment is something you are going to have to work around. Then again you could just go work for the government, that seems to attract those with zero social skills. [/quote]

Yep, I’m trying to work around it.

Lesson to parents everywhere: don’t let your kids sit at home reading all day as youngsters… get them involved with activities that allow them to develop some sort of social skill. Of course, that still doesn’t help some people.

You’re a big mouth, too, Neph?! I go on and on and on. (Case in point: the circumcision thread. hahaha!)

I realize, sometimes, that even getting involved in the conversation (whatever it may be) is just useless. I’ve actually said that to ppl, too. They go off on their little conversations about whatever and I open my mouth and start to say somethign and then I just say, “You know what? forget. It’s not worth it.” And then they try and enagge me and I still maintain my stand on NOT talking. Then they stew about it all afternoon. hehehe :smiley:

When you feel like engaging in the conversation ask yourself, “Is it worth it?”

[quote]nephorm wrote:
orion wrote:
That does not mean you can change it without compromising everything you stand for…

I’m an obnoxious, motormouth know-it-all. Me mastering my need to comment and join in conversations has absolutely nothing to do with anything I stand for, and everything to do with getting along with others and not being a pain in the ass for other people. I’m just hoping there is some way to accomplish this without simply relying on will, since I obviously have poor impulse control for this sort of thing.[/quote]

Realize that the smartest person in the room is invariably the quietest person in the room. If you remember this and take it to heart, you will never have the need to prove your intellect with inappropriate comments.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
It’s best not to get into these conversations at work especially if you know you’re more intelligent than those around you because it has a way as coming across as arrogance–and nobody likes that. Fortunately, this is not the case where I work.[/quote]

Problem is, in most cases, that the other guy is convinced he’s more intelligent than others, too, so… why are they talking? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]TeeVee69 wrote:
Realize that the smartest person in the room is invariably the quietest person in the room. If you remember this and take it to heart, you will never have the need to prove your intellect with inappropriate comments. [/quote]

Intelligent people will indeed recognize the silent ones for their true value.

However, one also has to take into account the insecure Motormouths who generally are back-stabbers, so one has to put them in their place, at least once to stop them in their bitchin’ ways. Being weak, the insecure motormouths then go find another victim, or get into Backstabbing202.

Otherwise the silent, no bark, no teeth person gets tagged as a target, a victim, the one who gets hit on (not in the I’d hit it sense :P).

Nepster,

I’ve been an IT guy my entire career. The field is filled with people who have to worry about the tiniest little detail, or massive systems screw up.

We can’t even talk about our work to 99% percent of the population because their eyes glaze over and they go into a coma within seconds.

However, in my days, I’ve managed to straddle the divide between IT and management. It is a huge divide, and it involves dealing with issues very differently than in the IT sector.

As a programmer, it is important to be exact, to be correct, to be right. We learn to examine and nitpick the tiniest detail and consider our solution under every condition we can imagine, and indeed, if we do this well, we create robust adaptable systems that are very valueable to somebody.

However, people, real people that don’t work in IT, don’t work this way. Nobody, on the entire planet, gives a shit about details like we do. Nobody gives a rats ass about how the entire world will collapse if we don’t handle mixed case, whitespace and punctuation appropriately within key fields, if you catch my drift.

Some ideas, and I really have no idea if they apply to you, but I’ve seen them around.

1. Our career teaches us the importance of being right and making sure the right action is taken. This is not how to act in real life.

2. Everyone has an opinion. Everyone likes to be heard. Generally, it doesn’t matter what most people think. The world has muddled along for millions of years without our input, and it will continue to do so without it.

3. STFU. Don’t tell people what they already know! Don’t tell people what you think (nobody cares). Don’t tell people what you prefer (nobody cares). If someone wants your opinion they will ask you for it.

Being a persistent poster and very obnoxious arguer online, I have to make clear that in real life I abhor discussing politics or religion. There is a time and place for it and it’s best if you keep it there.

Anyway, you need to think long and hard about the concept of talking. People use it a lot these days to whine about their work, to whine about their life, to make sure everyone knows their opinion on things. None of this bullshit is useful to anyone.

For example, how many losers will jump into a thread to say how they feel about something. Who gives a crap. If something makes you happy, sad, glad, angry, bonerific, why in the world would it be news enough to share to all of us in the forums? That is all some people do… relate how they feel. Whoa, stop the presses, home-boy doesn’t like something.

If you are going to open your mouth, have something to say. As someone posted about charm school, have something interesting or constructive to say. Or, if you don’t have anything useful to say, don’t say anything at all.

Silence is a fucking virtue. Shut your fucking mouth and try to figure out what is important and what isn’t. Until you figure out something is important and that people actually NEED to know what you are about to say, shut your piehole, there is too much opinion and commentary on the planet. We don’t need any more.

Anyway, I’m not attacking you, you know that. I’m trying to get you see the situation in a different light. After all, you asked for our advice…

So, an observation, the knowledge you have, and express online here, is also very esoteric and presumably unable to be expressed to the people you generally hang around with… just as the technical end of your job is useless in a conversation to most of the world.

Start working on figuring out what type of information your audience is looking for, and give that to them. If you can do that, then people will start to think your communication matters and they will choose to seek your input because it gives them what they need to know to make decisions.

Computer jockeys are fucking attrocious at all this stuff… I know it is a stereotype, but it’s also true that computer people are good with computers and not people about 95% of the time.

Figure out how and why, and change that.

[quote]vroom wrote:
As a programmer, it is important to be exact, to be correct, to be right. We learn to examine and nitpick the tiniest detail and consider our solution under every condition we can imagine, and indeed, if we do this well, we create robust adaptable systems that are very valueable to somebody.
[/quote]

vroom -

You just explained more about yourself in that paragraph than you will probably ever really know.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
When I was a little kid, my mother would make a bracelet out of paper and tape and put it on my wrist. It said “don’t talk in class,” over and over. It was the only way I would keep my mouth shut during the day and not get behavior points knocked off. Of course, the effect eventually wore off.

Since paper-and-tape bracelets are no longer an option as an adult, I need to come up with a new tactic. It isn’t that I talk too much at work, given the people I work with, but I often get into discussions/arguments that aren’t prudent. Unfortunately, I talk before I think, and combined with poor social intelligence… well, it occurs to me that I could have a short career if I keep this up.

So: any tips on how to stop oneself from engaging in conversations, when one seems programmed to automatically do so? A shock-collar might not be a bad idea…[/quote]

I would think the fact that you realize what your problem is would at least be half way to the solution. I think I could say the exact same thing about my self. Good luck

[quote]rainjack wrote:
vroom -

You just explained more about yourself in that paragraph than you will probably ever really know.
[/quote]

I know…

I like to think of it as analysis. It’s my forte, digging into the issues and finding out how all the parts connect…

And if I’m an ass online, who cares, its the Internet! :wink: