How to Dismantle a Car?

If you do manage to get it apart, make a coffee table by putting the engine block in front of your couch and a pane of glass on top of it. I’d love to have a piece like that.

Although, I doubt the engine in your hoopty is a big block V8 that’d look sweet in my living room.

sawzaw… buy extra blades, lol

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Jaws of Life. Ask the local fire department to come and practice. They might do it for free.[/quote]

As fun as they are, the jaws won’t do things like frames. And in all honesty they aren’t much faster than what you can do with an extension cord and a sawzall.

[quote]moveitorloseit wrote:
sawzaw… buy extra blades, lol[/quote]

Back when I was a kid, I used one of these suckers to help my dad remodel our kitchen. Ever since, I’ve known it was spelled ‘sawzall.’

But in all seriousness, I’ve seen quite a few different spellings/pronunciations of that thing hahaha.

[quote]Xav wrote:
I have a very old broken down car in my yard I need to get rid off, I need more room. It’s in a position that it can’t be lifted by these trucks used to remove old cars (well maybe it could, but it’s gonna be very difficult and I don’t want to pay for it).

I talked to a scrapyard guy and he’s charging 250 bucks (and I aint getting any money for the old metal, which obviously annoyed me very much). After I showed him a pic of the car’s position he said it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Anyone has experience with dismantling a car? I can’t even gets the bolts loose without breaking my low quality tools (the bolts are all extremely rusted), I tried using some kind of oil (or whatever the shop clerk gave me) to help getting them lose, didn’t help.

Right now I’m considering buying a blowtorch, however I have no idea how to use them and I’m not too keen on using a blowtorch on a car (gas, oil, other fluids). Any tips / insight?

Thanks![/quote]
Dude just tear it to pieces and start carrying bits of it off to the dump.

Hey what city are you in? Are you close to Tennessee? I’m being completely fucking serious right now. This sounds funner than absolute hell. If you’re close by, me and my 300lb friend will come by with a 24lb sledgehammer, a wrecking bar, and a mattock and turn your car into bite-sized pieces free of any charge save the sweet enjoyment of destruction.

Get yourself a 2’ or 3’ socketed (1/2") power bar, jack up the car and undo all the nuts for the calipers then gently remove them with a sledge hammer. Cut the brake lines, drain the fluid, throw the calipers away. Stick the wheels back on and even if the back wheels have drum brakes (give them a few whacks with the sledge to help free up teh shoes inside), it should make it a hell of a lot easier to push.

I had a car abandoned on the drive of the house (10+ years) I just bought, had to do exactly this!

Donate it. Most non profits will take it off your hands for nothing. I did that with an old car I had sitting in my yard for over a year. They sent someone over with a with a flatbed, winched it up and hauled it away.

Just get a wench and some high quality chain and drag it out of there!

Lol PimpBot reminded me of this.

Mythbusters have proven that 100lbs of C4 will dismantle your car quite efficiently… and permanently

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Blow torches are great for demolition, but if it’s a no go, then a large angle grinder with a cut off wheel will also rip a car to pieces pretty quickly.

Wear a face shield and safety glasses.

A product called PB Blaster is great for breaking loose rusted and frozen fasteners too.
[/quote]

There is your answer. Gloves too.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
If you do manage to get it apart, make a coffee table by putting the engine block in front of your couch and a pane of glass on top of it. I’d love to have a piece like that.

Although, I doubt the engine in your hoopty is a big block V8 that’d look sweet in my living room.[/quote]

Top Gear already did that. It looks great.

Sweet fucking Jesus, stop making this so complicated. Put the car on wheel dollies and push it out to where a wrecker can get it. If its on soft ground, use sheets of OSB so it can roll.

Is there not a scrap metal market there?

[quote]smallmike wrote:
Just get a wench and some high quality chain and drag it out of there![/quote]

Exactly this.

Have her make a sammich after she’s done with the car.