How Much Can You Millitary Press brah?

[quote]Alpha wrote:
Dude I can hit 500 raw on bench @ 220lbs, but my strict military press is no higher than 275 on my best day…It would seem i have a LOT of work to do! with leg drive i am in the low to mid 300’s but the idea of putting over 400 above my head seems completely asinine!

I appreciate the call out though CC, means a lot coming for a guy of your caliber.

If anyone needs me i will be attempting to put heavy things above my head… [/quote]

Brother, your standing mil of 275 at that bodyweight is beyond fucking incredible…

You are so much stronger at 220 than I used to be at that weight it’s not even funny, and that despite everything else you have to do (I was just a university student with nothing to do but eat, sleep, train and occasionally study…).

And yeah, that’s why I said that the 350 lb mil is sort of like a 565 bench…

How tall are you? Please say 5 feet nothing? :slight_smile:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]Alpha wrote:
Dude I can hit 500 raw on bench @ 220lbs, but my strict military press is no higher than 275 on my best day…It would seem i have a LOT of work to do! with leg drive i am in the low to mid 300’s but the idea of putting over 400 above my head seems completely asinine!

I appreciate the call out though CC, means a lot coming for a guy of your caliber.

If anyone needs me i will be attempting to put heavy things above my head… [/quote]

Brother, your standing mil of 275 at that bodyweight is beyond fucking incredible…

You are so much stronger at 220 than I used to be at that weight it’s not even funny, and that despite everything else you have to do (I was just a university student with nothing to do but eat, sleep, train and occasionally study…).

And yeah, that’s why I said that the 350 lb mil is sort of like a 565 bench…

How tall are you? Please say 5 feet nothing? :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Ha 5’10-11 pre brain tumor…now 6’ with the tumor…seriously…i swear…

i know it’s weird…so i guess 6’ and growing???

[quote]Alpha wrote:

hmmm…I would gladly trade my 400lb jerk when i was in my early 20’s to look half as good as you do…I would have gotten laid a lot more that is for sure! BTW, I was a very, VERY round 265-270 (5’6") then…haha

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
all the above and more. Poliquin expounds the dip, chin and overhead press as the king of upper body movements. and the squat and snatch grip deadlift from an elevated podium and the top lower body exercises. Poliquin gets a lot of hate on this site, but the fact is that he was training already world class athletes into even bigger beasts when i was just a kid, that is a long time ago folks.

most strength coaches who train athletes like the military press because (i think) you are standing which translates better to the field.

I find a 350lb overhead press more impressive than a 500lb bench press, though as i stated before the guy who can bench 500 probably looks more jacked than the overhead press guy. [/quote]

A 500 lb bench is easier to get imo.

Try 565 or so maybe.

Edit: Of course it depends on the individual, but I think if you’re training both equally, i.e. you’re not a strongman or Oly lifter who specializes more in OH lifting, then I’d say ~350 strict standing military and ~565 or so bench are roughly equal…

[/quote]

LOL yeah fucking right. Let’s count the guys here with a 500lb unassisted bench.
[/quote] I can think of 4, though one is not a regular poster (SincityIron, at 600x3).
What exactly does this have to do with my post is what I’d like to ask you?

nonsense. there aren’t alot of 500lb shirtless benchers walking around. hell, the raw record is still not much more than 6. and there aren’t alot of guys walking around at 300 either so if thats your yardstick you’re being ridiculous. and yes, i’m a long time powerlifter, and i’ve seen plenty of stuff with my own yes, and then read a bunch of crap on the internet. i competed for years in the 275s and i know what good lifters are doing - excusing of course those with the ridiculous shirts and ridiculous amounts of drugs. i want to see youtube of all these claimed shirtless 500 benchers here.

Your idea of advanced is probably a lot different from mine.

[/quote]

and i almost choked on that one

no disrespect intended by the way. outside elite pl circles, there just aren’t alot of 500lb raw benchers. subtract the shirts…and a bunch disappear. subtract drugs, and watch a bunch of them fall. we do agree that 350 over your head is alot more difficult than a 500lb bench and we both know its got more to do with pressing given all the accessory muscles at work while standing. when i’m healthy (neck problems this last year) i can close grip 350 raw, drug free at age 45. i can push press around 275…thats what i meant when i said i got some damn work to do to meet the poliquin standard :slight_smile: LOL strict pressing 350? i want to see it. that vid posted of the guy doing the triple he was a beast but that was a push press.

I would say that Wendler and Rippetoe are the ones that made me do it.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
all the above and more. Poliquin expounds the dip, chin and overhead press as the king of upper body movements. and the squat and snatch grip deadlift from an elevated podium and the top lower body exercises. Poliquin gets a lot of hate on this site, but the fact is that he was training already world class athletes into even bigger beasts when i was just a kid, that is a long time ago folks.

most strength coaches who train athletes like the military press because (i think) you are standing which translates better to the field.

I find a 350lb overhead press more impressive than a 500lb bench press, though as i stated before the guy who can bench 500 probably looks more jacked than the overhead press guy. [/quote]

A 500 lb bench is easier to get imo.

Try 565 or so maybe.

Edit: Of course it depends on the individual, but I think if you’re training both equally, i.e. you’re not a strongman or Oly lifter who specializes more in OH lifting, then I’d say ~350 strict standing military and ~565 or so bench are roughly equal…

[/quote]

LOL yeah fucking right. Let’s count the guys here with a 500lb unassisted bench.
[/quote] I can think of 4, though one is not a regular poster (SincityIron, at 600x3).
What exactly does this have to do with my post is what I’d like to ask you?

nonsense. there aren’t alot of 500lb shirtless benchers walking around. hell, the raw record is still not much more than 6. and there aren’t alot of guys walking around at 300 either so if thats your yardstick you’re being ridiculous. and yes, i’m a long time powerlifter, and i’ve seen plenty of stuff with my own yes, and then read a bunch of crap on the internet. i competed for years in the 275s and i know what good lifters are doing - excusing of course those with the ridiculous shirts and ridiculous amounts of drugs. i want to see youtube of all these claimed shirtless 500 benchers here. [/quote]

WR raw bench is over 700 pounds held by Scott Mendleson

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

WR raw bench is over 700 pounds held by Scott Mendleson[/quote]

Your point? Do me a favor. Go back 20 years and tell me the WR raw bench record. Or just go back to where shirts were first used. Track the progress of the “assisted” bench record v. the raw bench and you will see a long flat line for that raw bench. 500 raw is nothing to sneeze at. Remove the drugs and it gets even more elite. I’ve seen plenty of 500 benchers that don’t bench 5 anymore when they’ve been off a while. this isn’t a drug rant by any means. i’m just saying 500 raw is not pedestrian.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

WR raw bench is over 700 pounds held by Scott Mendleson[/quote]

Your point? Do me a favor. Go back 20 years and tell me the WR raw bench record. Or just go back to where shirts were first used. Track the progress of the “assisted” bench record v. the raw bench and you will see a long flat line for that raw bench. 500 raw is nothing to sneeze at. Remove the drugs and it gets even more elite. I’ve seen plenty of 500 benchers that don’t bench 5 anymore when they’ve been off a while. this isn’t a drug rant by any means. i’m just saying 500 raw is not pedestrian.[/quote]

500 raw bench is freaking amazing. I find it hard to believe the people that say its not have ever seen a 500 bench in a regular gym and not in the stands at a meet or on youtube. Trust me up close its a freking scarry thing. And if its in your hands its a damn near horror movie.

It ain’t pretty…but just like Kelly Osborne…it got done…

[quote]Alpha wrote:
It ain’t pretty…but just like Kelly Osborne…it got done…[/quote]

Alpha - Awesome lift, man!! You pushed that weight with authority!!

[quote]Alpha wrote:

prettier than most. that was a solid lift. you didn’t have some ridiculous gymnastic arch and your stroke is not 5 inches. as far as gym lifts, that was frikkin solid and better than a lot of the ridiculous meet lifts I’ve seen. nice lift.

[quote]Alpha wrote:

[/quote]

That is one hell of a lift.

I would be nervous just spotting, but there is obviously no need for that.

I’m not a fan of the standing military press. There’s no doubt that it can pack on some major mass, but I think if I’m going to press overhead standing, I’m going to do it in a push press fashion.

Also, about that 85% military press thing that Poliquin supposedly said, I don’t know about that. I do know he said this tough: “The press behind neck should represent 66% of what you can do in the bi-acromial width bench press.”

heavythrower, who is the girl in your avatar?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]Alpha wrote:

[/quote]

That is one hell of a lift.

I would be nervous just spotting, but there is obviously no need for that.

[/quote]

uh yea, I would not have trusted those guys to spot. it’s a good thing the lift didn’t slip cuz they sure weren’t ready. but you work with what you have. i had a bunch of gym regulars spotting me on a 700lb squat once with only my experienced lifting partner behind me…everyone else was just a regular moe gym rat…i had my guy in the back and two on each side and one of the idiots touched one side…well, it don’t take much to make 700lbs pitch. i almost bought it that day. saved it, racked it, and never again did that kind of weight out of the cage again in that gym.

spotting big lifts is serious business. even at powerlifting meets i’m amazed at the complete lack of decent spotters more often than not. it’s scary.

I was trying to figure out whether you were just trying to draw me into an argument for no reason or if it was just my English causing some confusion…
Then I realized you’re that great guy who was dissing a female poster on here about how you can close-grip so much more than her.

No I still don’t know what the hell you are going on about, considering that “500 raw bench is pedestrian/easily achievable/whatever” was never once said in here.

I mean, the thread went something like:

OP: Mil press seems to be gaining popularity over the bench press these days, discuss (or something to that effect)

Several people talking about the OP

HT and me talking about the OP and about what kind of bench press a 350 lb military press would roughly be equal to in terms of how difficult it is to get.

You barging in Show me all the 500 lb raw benchers here, bwahahaha I demand proof! etcetc… Then going on about drugs, geared vs. raw powerlifting, how you’ve seen it all and have it all figured out and whatever and none of this has anything to do with what was being discussed.

Where is the logic there?

As far as what I consider advanced? Someone who has very impressive lifts for their bodyweight/structure and/or carries a large amount of muscle-mass for their height… What else would it be?
I don’t care if someone has been lifting with some big name guys, or has been at it for 20 years or 2 or you’ve been to 30000 meets all over the world…
Either you’re extremely strong/big in relation to your height or whatnot, or you aren’t.

If someone weighs 300 lbs and benches 450, I don’t usually see him as an advanced bencher… He may be an advanced deadlifter or whatever, but that doesn’t make his bench any bigger… Long arms? Get bigger. Or be satisfied with a lower bench. It’s that easy.

Um… a military thread without Big Z?

…heard he set a new record of late…