How Much Can You Millitary Press brah?

My main regard was that it seems that more and more lifters are choosing the oh press over the bench (refer t the other thread) and it reminds me a lot of what Pavel has been saying for the last decade: work your oh press, get huge shoulders with just enough pecs, get a real solid core (the C word!) doing so, etc. Of course now more and more people are talking about the oh press, but Pavel’s Power to the People was the first place where I saw someone discarding the bench in favor of the oh press.

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
I prefer shoulder press to bench as the main upper body pressing movement because men aren’t supposed to have tits[/quote]

LOL WTF?

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
I prefer shoulder press to bench as the main upper body pressing movement because men aren’t supposed to have tits[/quote]

LOL WTF?[/quote]

Seriously, Tits are not the same thing as pecs man. Why not do both?

My 1RM for military BB press is 225 lbs, and my bench is almost 300 again thank god. But big shoulders and big chest should go hand in hand, not one or the other.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Poliquin put forth that your overhead press should be at least 85% of your bench long before Tsatsouline gained popularity.

[/quote]

I got work to do…

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
all the above and more. Poliquin expounds the dip, chin and overhead press as the king of upper body movements. and the squat and snatch grip deadlift from an elevated podium and the top lower body exercises. Poliquin gets a lot of hate on this site, but the fact is that he was training already world class athletes into even bigger beasts when i was just a kid, that is a long time ago folks.

most strength coaches who train athletes like the military press because (i think) you are standing which translates better to the field.

I find a 350lb overhead press more impressive than a 500lb bench press, though as i stated before the guy who can bench 500 probably looks more jacked than the overhead press guy. [/quote]

A 500 lb bench is easier to get imo.

Try 565 or so maybe.

Edit: Of course it depends on the individual, but I think if you’re training both equally, i.e. you’re not a strongman or Oly lifter who specializes more in OH lifting, then I’d say ~350 strict standing military and ~565 or so bench are roughly equal…

[/quote]

LOL yeah fucking right. Let’s count the guys here with a 500lb unassisted bench. Go ahead, I’ll wait. I hope you just meant it’s easier to get a 500lb bench press than a 358lb stand press and not because the 500lb bench is “easy” or even attainable for even advanced trainees.

Bench just isnt that practical. Plus in the old days all the competitions were how much weight you could get over your head. Anyone can lie down and push, but its tough to keep your spine stable while pressing your max over your head… You want some real shit tho, check out the “two hands anyhow lift”

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

all the above and more. Poliquin expounds the dip, chin and overhead press as the king of upper body movements. and the squat and snatch grip deadlift from an elevated podium and the top lower body exercises. Poliquin gets a lot of hate on this site, but the fact is that he was training already world class athletes into even bigger beasts when i was just a kid, that is a long time ago folks.

most strength coaches who train athletes like the military press because (i think) you are standing which translates better to the field.

I find a 350lb overhead press more impressive than a 500lb bench press, though as i stated before the guy who can bench 500 probably looks more jacked than the overhead press guy. [/quote]

Try 565 or so maybe.

Edit: Of course it depends on the individual, but I think if you’re training both equally, i.e. you’re not a strongman or Oly lifter who specializes more in OH lifting, then I’d say ~350 strict standing military and ~565 or so bench are roughly equal…

[/quote]

LOL yeah fucking right. Let’s count the guys here with a 500lb unassisted bench. Go ahead, I’ll wait. I hope you just meant it’s easier to get a 500lb bench press than a 358lb stand press and not because the 500lb bench is “easy” or even attainable for even advanced trainees. [/quote]

" I hope you just meant it’s easier to get a 500lb bench press than a 358lb stand press and not because the 500lb bench is “easy” or even attainable for even advanced trainees"

Calm down, I think that is exactly what he meant, me too.

Try 565 or so maybe.

[/quote]

LOL yeah fucking right. Let’s count the guys here with a 500lb unassisted bench.
[/quote] I can think of 4, though one is not a regular poster (SincityIron, at 600x3).
What exactly does this have to do with my post is what I’d like to ask you?

[quote]
Go ahead, I’ll wait. I hope you just meant it’s easier to get a 500lb bench press than a 358lb stand press[/quote] Isn’t that exactly what I said? “A 500 lb bench is easier to get imo” in response to HT saying that he finds a 350 lb Mil Press more impressive than a 500 lb bench? My English must have gotten worse lately. [quote]

and not because the 500lb bench is “easy” or even attainable for even advanced trainees. [/quote]
Your idea of advanced is probably a lot different from mine. If you weigh 280-300 lbs without being fat or have arms like a monkey, I’d sort of expect you to be able to put up 500+, at least for bodybuilders (i.e. train with 495 for reps, most likely) and powerlifters, if you consider yourself an advanced trainee. In fact, unless you’ve got really long arms, 500x1 as a max is even somewhat low for a 300lb guy.

You can of course disagree with me if you like.

I don’t expect it from someone who weighs 230, even though Alpha can do it (does he still weigh 200-230?)… But then again, Alpha is a total badass.

I don’t expect it from Oly Lifters etc either, for obvious reasons.

(For the record, I don’t expect anyone to ever achieve a 350 lb military… That is truly extraordinary. There are a handful of people who can do 405 strict, or maybe more if we count oly lifters of which I don’t know many… which is entirely beyond my capabilities, despite a rather large raw bench and generally good numbers on all other overhead press variants… Now 275-330 or something like that, yes, again at 280-300 or so…)

to me, this:

is more impressive than this:

both are bad mother fuckers…but just my opinion :slight_smile:

to me, this:

is more impressive than this:

both are bad mother fuckers…but just my opinion :)[/quote]

I agree. And that’s coming from the big bench whore himself harhar.

Can’t even imagine doing that much for reps overhead, free-standing…

Dizenzo can press too:

Gotta say though, Hoornstra’s 675 raw bench at 242 impresses me even more… How can anyone that light do shit like that? Shrugs 1035 for 5 or so, does 495 for reps seated BTN press, 405 for reps seated front press (that in itself isn’t even it, it’s that he does it at 242!)… Whenever I think I’m a good presser, I just need to look at his log or watch his vids and have my ego ground into dust :slight_smile:

Try 565 or so maybe.

[/quote]

LOL yeah fucking right. Let’s count the guys here with a 500lb unassisted bench.
[/quote] I can think of 4, though one is not a regular poster (SincityIron, at 600x3).
What exactly does this have to do with my post is what I’d like to ask you?

good post carnage. in that regard, these two guys might have been two of the strongest motherfuckers on the planet ever:

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Dizenzo can press too:

Well, shit lol

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Dizenzo can press too:

yep, like i said, he is a bad man no doubt

good post carnage. in that regard, these two guys might have been two of the strongest motherfuckers on the planet ever:

[/quote]

You’re trying to make me feel really, really weak, aren’t you…

haha…if that makes you feel weak what do you think it does to my old busted up fat ass?

the fact that they CLEANED that shit THEN did a press(not a jerk), well, fuck.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Poliquin put forth that your overhead press should be at least 85% of your bench long before Tsatsouline gained popularity.

[/quote]

I got work to do…[/quote]

You and me both, man… I’d have to make Ko look like a beginner in order to meet that ratio… Very likely to happen, I figure I’ll use this as my short term goal for, say, next month.

Right. No comment on Poliquin’s logic.

Dunno how Pavel is supposed to have popularized overhead training either tbh (not picking on you Sky)… As far as I know, it’s been part of strength training since long before the bench press came along…

[/quote]

Me neither?

Maybe something got confused, but I was the first one in the thread to point that out.

Dude I can hit 500 raw on bench @ 220lbs, but my strict military press is no higher than 275 on my best day…It would seem i have a LOT of work to do! with leg drive i am in the low to mid 300’s but the idea of putting over 400 above my head seems completely asinine!

I appreciate the call out though CC, means a lot coming for a guy of your caliber.

If anyone needs me i will be attempting to put heavy things above my head…