How Hardcore are You?

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]metamorphic wrote:

So if I was born with the body of a Mr. Olympia, would I be hardcore?[/quote]

No, but I’d say your Mom’s birth canal was.[/quote]

You may be the funniest person on this site. (remembering a pretty inspired reference to American Psycho)

I’ve also been through a couple of injuries/surgeries/rehab/periods of being weak as hell but I didn’t mention it before because I don’t think I need to use that to quantify my “hardcore-ness”

This is starting to remind me of the special olympics. Are you built or not? Don’t say you’ve won a gold medal at the olympics and then mention later that it was the special olympics.

-Macho Man

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
Results without effort is not “hardcore” - it’s called being gifted. Hardcore isn’t a grade in my opinion. It’s a mindset, it’s what you do, it’s your disposition.[/quote]

Amen!

Gifted does not equal hardcore. Gifted and hardcore equals ‘Top Shelf’.

I was speaking to a guy at the gym today, didn’t know his name but he is always friendly and we were sharing the pullup station. He’s in good shape, but he walks all fucked up, so I asked him because I am incessantly curious what happened, he told me he has cerebral palsy, this guy trains pretty hard IMO, he was certainly doing more pullups than me, I thought that was pretty hardcore.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I was speaking to a guy at the gym today, didn’t know his name but he is always friendly and we were sharing the pullup station. He’s in good shape, but he walks all fucked up, so I asked him because I am incessantly curious what happened, he told me he has cerebral palsy, this guy trains pretty hard IMO, he was certainly doing more pullups than me, I thought that was pretty hardcore.[/quote]

Nonsense. He hasn’t won anything. Do you want to give everyone a star or a trophy for showing up? :slight_smile: LOL

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]talldude wrote:

Hardcore is about SACRIFICE in order to obtain a goal. [/quote]

Hmmmm…so what do you call the ones who never get there or obtain it?

Look, lifting weights for half a decade with nothing to show for it is NOT hardcore…even though some of you seem to be trying hard to make it seem that way.

In bodybuilding, the goal is to actually build your body up. If you never do that, then you didn’t even meet the entrance requirement.[/quote]

build up to be judged at some point you mean. there’s a beauty contest at the end of the rainbow. of course, you can buy the dresses, and the tiaras and practice your dance routine and speech, but you can’t win that lil beauty contest unless you get in the game. [/quote]

LOL. Is this a fight?

I don’t have to compete to have reached my personal goals.

Once again, the people not reaching any goals can not be called “hardcore”. No one cares how “hard” they think they worked if they get nowhere.

Of course, you can continue making this all about me…but good Gawd we can’t call you original, huh?

If I were you, I would watch that blood pressure.

U mad…and u don’t no Y.[/quote]

Not a fight that I’m aware of. Are you so insecure that every time someone challenges your opinion, you think it’s a “fight” or a personal attack upon you? 'm not mad. I’m pointing out facts.

In case you missed it (you didn’t, you ignored it), I adopted your logic, and put it back to you as a question in my other reply, which of course you haven’t responded to. So, that’s a fight?

Follow along X, I’ll do it again. So you claim to be hardcore, because you reached your “personal goals” and admittedly haven’t competed or won anything, but the average guy that busts his ass, and uses squeaks out 100% of what his body and genetics can give is less than you b/c he might not be as developed as you - even if he reached his “personal goals”? So is “hardcore” now measured by reaching your “personal goals”? Or, is it accomplishing some nebulous level of development?

If you don’t want to clarify, then don’t. If you want to pretend it’s about “you” instead of about the opinion you expressed in this thread, go right ahead. I disagreed with your opinion.

i don’t typically post in these threads but felt compelled to give my take on hardcore. a fellow teacher and close friend got cancer. she had many surgeries to remove the cancerous tumors…they kept coming back. all the while, through all the pain, surgeries and chemo she always had a smile and an inner strength that was unequaled. she lost her battle with cancer but did so with grace and dignity. that’s hardcore.

this is just lifting weights.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i don’t typically post in these threads but felt compelled to give my take on hardcore. a fellow teacher and close friend got cancer. she had many surgeries to remove the cancerous tumors…they kept coming back. all the while, through all the pain, surgeries and chemo she always had a smile and an inner strength that was unequaled. she lost her battle with cancer but did so with grace and dignity. that’s hardcore.

this is just lifting weights. [/quote]

Perspective. We all would be better people if we always had it.

Nonsense! I’m pretty sure her “goal” was to beat cancer and she obviously failed. Do you want to give her a star for showing up?!

Obviously, I’m being facetious. My first post in this thread was about just what she did; face adversity and not give up. It’s something people constantly talk about (and like to think they can do), yet the average person is quite incapable of it. A lot of people crumble when faced with adversity.

If we only measure “hardcore” by the end result or reaching a “personal goal”, then a lot of lazy and perhaps gifted motherfuckers slip in and are thus “hardcore”. Because, when considering human achievement, many people have reached goals and succeeded without much work. That’s not “hardcore”, that’s being gifted in that endeavor or goal.

I just think hardcore is the the mindset. You are what you do. And you can be committed to what you do along a pretty wide continuum, ranging from not committed at all, to fully committed. If you’re fully committed, living that shit, I think you’re hardcore.

Nonsense! I’m pretty sure her “goal” was to beat cancer and she obviously failed. Do you want to give her a star for showing up?!

Obviously, I’m being facetious. My first post in this thread was about just what she did; face adversity and not give up. It’s something people constantly talk about (and like to think they can do), yet the average person is quite incapable of it. A lot of people crumble when faced with adversity.

If we only measure “hardcore” by the end result or reaching a “personal goal”, then a lot of lazy and perhaps gifted motherfuckers slip in and are thus “hardcore”. Because, when considering human achievement, many people have reached goals and succeeded without much work. That’s not “hardcore”, that’s being gifted in that endeavor or goal.

I just think hardcore is the the mindset. You are what you do. And you can be committed to what you do along a pretty wide continuum, ranging from not committed at all, to fully committed. If you’re fully committed, living that shit, I think you’re hardcore. [/quote]

Duuuude, you’re killing me with these posts. I can’t catch my breath. I gadda pain in my shess, an I can’t breif…

[quote]dianab wrote:

So if I was born with the body of a Mr. Olympia, would I be hardcore?[/quote]

No, but I’d say your Mom’s birth canal was.[/quote]

You may be the funniest person on this site. (remembering a pretty inspired reference to American Psycho)[/quote]

Well thanks but I was just thinking I had a 8lber and it hurt like bloody hell.
I’m so not hardcore.

[quote]Bellmar wrote:

Perspective. We all would be better people if we always had it.[/quote]

Courage, that’s hardcore.
Having courage keeps you consistent and it’s the only reason really that we do anything worth doing in life.

Some of these posts are over the top. My grandmother died of cancer. It is possibly the hardest thing that anyone has to deal with. She fought that along with growing up the wrong color from the 1920’s onward. That is hardcore. Working three jobs as a single mother at one point in her life and having two jobs up until she got sick? Yeah, that beats just about every single one of you especially including me.

I can say that and STILL talk about lifting weights in a context that denotes the real hard workers and the ones making progress.

It is great that some of you know some guy who did something great while dealing with a great setback.

Yes, that is hardcore. However, we are talking about THE GYM.

My grandmother wasn’t just “some guy I know”. She was Super Woman. So anyone acting like they need to remind me what “hardcore” is in that sense can eat a dick.

I am talking about progress in the gym, not some situation where everyone tries to one up the next guy with what “hardcore” is in the sense of the entire world.

If you have been lifting for ten years and you DON’T look like you lift at all, you ain’t “hardcore” in the gym.

Sorry.

Now, back to the topic.

I’m not hardcore.

I’m dedicated.

Some of these posts are over the top. My grandmother died of cancer. It is possibly the hardest thing that anyone has to deal with. She fought that along with growing up the wrong color from the 1920’s onward. That is hardcore. Working three jobs as a single mother at one point in her life and having two jobs up until she got sick? Yeah, that beats just about every single one of you especially including me.

I can say that and STILL talk about lifting weights in a context that denotes the real hard workers and the ones making progress.

It is great that some of you know some guy who did something great while dealing with a great setback.

Yes, that is hardcore. However, we are talking about THE GYM.

My grandmother wasn’t just “some guy I know”. She was Super Woman. So anyone acting like they need to remind me what “hardcore” is in that sense can eat a dick.

I am talking about progress in the gym, not some situation where everyone tries to one up the next guy with what “hardcore” is in the sense of the entire world.

If you have been lifting for ten years and you DON’T look like you lift at all, you ain’t “hardcore” in the gym.

Sorry.
[/quote]

Very nice tribute to your grandmother.

“I can say that and STILL talk about lifting weights in a context that denotes the real hard workers and the ones making progress.” The “real hard workers”. That’s what most of us have been saying all along.

“Making progress” and “looking like you lift” are two very different things and both are undeniably subjective. A “real hard worker” is not very subjective. You work hard, or you don’t.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
I’m not hardcore.

I’m dedicated.[/quote]

Nah, bitch, youz jes prettehhh!!!

[quote]debraD wrote:
Hardcore is kind of like MILF, you can’t self-assign it…[/quote]

deb summed it up perfect. You can’t give yourself a nickname.
At my work if you call yourself “hard” in any manner other than clowning around you’re a joke. When somebody else calls you “hard” then you are good to go.

Ex: Guy 1 - “There’s a new Sergeant-Major posted in this summer, know him?”,
Guy 2 - “Hell yes, that guy is harder than Christmas candy”

[quote]Scants wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[/quote]

“The Situation” would disagree with you on that one.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Scants wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[/quote]

“The Situation” would disagree with you on that one.[/quote]

True…I guess it’s alright to make up your own nickname if you already are a joke.