Highest Vertical Jump In The World?

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
Stefan Holm has a 60cm 24 inch Vertical jump, so it isn’t that great :slight_smile:

can’t be weak and have a great vertical jump[/quote]

That’s bullshit. I’ve played with plenty of cats who couldn’t squat a broom stick draped with two wet socks who were catching windmills on the break. Strength is important - and the weightroom is the great equalizer - but it is not the end all be all of athletic performance.

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
Stefan Holm has a 60cm 24 inch Vertical jump, so it isn’t that great :slight_smile:

can’t be weak and have a great vertical jump[/quote]

I am having trouble believing I have about the same vert. as that guy (if not higher) Seriously, look at how much he gets up. There must be a mistake.

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
Stefan Holm has a 60cm 24 inch Vertical jump, so it isn’t that great :)[/quote]

Lol. Yeah, with a slightly different definition of “vertical jump.” :slight_smile:

[quote]donpalmero wrote:
CoolColJ wrote:

Lol. Yeah, with a slightly different definition of “vertical jump.” :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Oh, yeah. High jump event is a “lil” different from vertical leaping.

vertical jump is a standing jump

Stefan Holm has a 60cm confirmed vertical jump. There is an article or soemthing on Elitetrack detailing this

There is not one single person with a 40 inch vertical jump, legitly measured with head height, that isn’t strong enough to squat at least 2.4xBW

So that means anyone with a real 40 inch VJ would not have gotten it “naturally”

Sure there are guys who can jump high with a step and off a run, but that’s not a vertical jump!

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
vertical jump is a standing jump

Stefan Holm has a 60cm confirmed vertical jump. There is an article or soemthing on Elitetrack detailing this

There is not one single person with a 40 inch vertical jump, legitly measured with head height, that isn’t strong enough to squat at least 2.4xBW

So that means anyone with a real 40 inch VJ would not have gotten it “naturally”

Sure there are guys who can jump high with a step and off a run, but that’s not a vertical jump![/quote]

You don’t understand. The guy has a 60 CM HIGH JUMP. He’s 1.80 cm and has jumped 2.40. That is probably the number that “article” refers to. Do you seriously think his vert. is the same as his high jump? That would mean he can’t get his head over a height he can leap over.

the video I speak of

translation of the narrator:

Stefan Holm:
31yrs old, 181cm, swedish,
he is training high jump since 25 years,
standing vertical leap: 59cm=23 inches
professional training like the 1m60cm hurdle drills since he was 15 yr

Donald Thomas:
23yrs old, 6??2=190cm, bahamas
standing vertical leap: 93cm=36,6 inches
played bb his whole life, highjump since 2 years.

The question is: How can Holm jump that high? He equalizes it with an extremely high run-up velocity.
which is with 30km/h (18,6mph) one of the fastest worldwide.
Decisive for his high vert. leap is the moment in which he transforms velocity into ?buoyant force? (lift).
The takeoff:
Holms body is forming a straight line.
Using a normal staff you can demonstrate why a stretched body pushes the body upwards.
If you throw the staff diagonal on the ground, it jumps with a ?rotation movement? upwards.
The horizontal momentum of the run-up-velocity is turned into a ?rotation movement? upwards during the moment of jumping-off the ground. (6:46-7:10)
This movement is called: ramping Rotation.
During the Run-Up velocity is turned into kinetic energy.
Holm takes over the role of the staff: the more his body is straight, the better kinetic energy is transformed into ?buoyant force?.
But not everybody is able to use this phenomen.

In the moment of takeoff, the takeoff-leg is extremely high stressed.
The shock equals 650kg (1433 lbs). In the case of Holm it is 10times his own bodyweight.
The left foot?s ankle is heavily loaded too.

All in all 3 factors are determining for Stefan Holms incredible vert. leap.:
an extreme highspeed run-up, a straight body and a left leg, which is strong as an ox,
with this he is compensating his small height.

But how to train someones leg to sustain such stress? With weights!
(8:59 - exercise)
By changing of the knee-angle and ?hoisting technology? different muscles are used.
In the process he keeps concentrating on his left leg.
Stefan Holm lifts weights up to 200 kg (440lbs).

BTW please link me to this article. It’s not that I don’t believe you, but all I can find is a forum topic where some bro says it.

EDIT: Thanks

Honestly you will find most high jumpers are not good at standing vertical jumps which rely more of strength and explosivness, rather than run up velocity and reactive spring

plus they try and keep their weight down, so they avoid muscle gain, which helps the running one leg jump.

you can see him doing a standing VJ in the video above, not very impressive :slight_smile:

Well I’ll be damned. He looks like he’s holding back a little bit but his vert IS about that much. Weird.

And that’s with a standing reach that wasn’t exactly stretched up that hard… :slight_smile:

If he measured the reach the way I do, and the way your supposed to, his VJ would be another 2 inches lower :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting. His HJ is 59cm over head and his VJ is 59cm.

If anything, his weak VJ shows how much more impressive his HJ is. Or at least how different the two jumps really are (although that is clear).

I find the 2.40 jump more impressive tbh.

I used to be able to high jump just short of my head height, 180cm, in school. Nothing impressive, but I’m suprised Holms doesn’t have a bigger vert. I’ve always been able to jump higher then most people.

I put a high jump bar at 230cm once, and looking up at it, its seems total bullshit that anybody could jump over it. I mean, its really fucking high.

one of my good friends was a highe jumper in college and his vertical got up to 37 inches suppossedly. Maybe he took a step or two I don’t know. I think the person with the highest verical in the world is an unkown regular joe. The highest I’ve ever seen anyone jump was in 1992 or 1993 at an athens ohio pool party a 5’5 white guy threw down a 360 in a dunk contest.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:

[/quote]

It’s about an inch from the world record, so it IS impressive, yeah.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
hardgnr wrote:

It’s about an inch from the world record, so it IS impressive, yeah.[/quote]

2inches :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah it’s just ridiculous anyone can even clear 2.25+ let alone anything approaching 2.45!

Koing

[quote]Bloobird wrote:

That guy, SquatDr from this site, has got to be close.[/quote]

not sure if i have the world record. I do know its a personal record for me and thats what drives me, thats what my goals are. If that gets me a world record in the process, than thats even better, but I train simply to push my limits, exceed my goals, and be better than i was the previous week, week in and week out.

AC

[quote]Bloobird wrote:

That guy, SquatDr from this site, has got to be close.[/quote]

Wait… what… white guys can jump?!

[quote]

not sure if i have the world record. I do know its a personal record for me and thats what drives me, thats what my goals are. If that gets me a world record in the process, than thats even better, but I train simply to push my limits, exceed my goals, and be better than i was the previous week, week in and week out.

AC[/quote]

I wish you could train me.

Mike Guadango 55" box jump.