Higher Frequency Programming?

Coming back from a hamstring tear, I want to increase my strength in the the power lifts, but try something I have not done in many years. I want to bench/squat at least twice per week to improve my technique and strength on these. All the 1x a week programs I’ve tried over the years didn’t really do much for me in terms of strength, sure did in terms of muscle, but I’m 200lbs right now and don’t want to get any heavier for abs are more useful for my work.

Do you have any idea of programs I could check on?

NO CONJUGATE because I don’t feel I am strong enough to benefit from it (I love conjugate, I have chains and bands, but it only improved my deadlift, never the other lfits, even regressed my squat).

No French High Frequency either (I hang with a few world class athletes using this) because the sessions are 3h30 minimum each and it’s a make it or break it mentality: a fuckton of work, only those who can withstand it (usually younger folks) become ultra strong, the others crash and burn. Right now, at 32, with arthrosis and several business to work on, I don’t have the desire nor want to spend more than 2h30 in the gym, and most likely 2 hours.

Current maxes I could do if I stepped in the gym and tried right now:

• Paused Bench 275
• High Bar Squat 360 (haven’t trained low bar in years, but my shoulder finally allows me to try it)
• Conv Deadlift 505 (I want to try sumo for a few months, to alleviate the stress on my hammies and because I never tried)

Thanks for your suggestions

2 Likes

Lots of programs have bench and squat two times a week. How many days a week total do you want to be in the gym ?

Something simple like 531 full body full boring meets the brief and you could build in other accessory work or technique on other days.

Tagging in @wiseman83

4 Likes

531 big but boring, you’ll probably only be able to squat once a week doing that one. And I’d probably use a variation lift for the 5x10.

I suggest a heavy and a light-medium day for both squats and bench if two days per week is what you want mate. Alternating them. Squat heavy/bench light, and the reverse on the other day.

Could be as simple as 3-4 sets of 8, and 4-5 sets of 4 to begin with.

I’d start that with 65% and 75% respectively.

Maybe you start on the lower end, 3x8 and 4x4 for week 1. Add a set to each in week 2 and two weeks, then another set in week 4. Then Deload.

Add accessories as needed. Hamstrings. Triceps. Biceps on these days. Maybe pick one of each for day 1. And quads, more trips and more bis for day 2.

I don’t know what else you want to do through the week.

If you also want to deadlift and press say, I Wouldn’t do the above if you train More than 3x per week. If four days, I’d suggest an upper lower split (the same idea for squat and bench, and I’d add the deadlift to the lighter squat day, and the press to the lighter bench day). And I’d suggest rowing on both bench days also, barbell on the heavier day, chins and maybe dumbbell rows on the other day.

Weight increase of 5% in week 2, and 2-2.5% thereafter.

I’d do that. Then see how you recover.

Really I could type for 6 years on recommended ideas…it’s an endless thing. Haha.

4 Likes

I trained like this for years

Mon- Bench
Tue- Squats
Thu- Bench
Fri- Squat/Deadlifts

WK 1- 70% 5 sets of 3
WK 2- 75% 5 sets of 3
WK 3- 80% 4 sets of 2
WK 4- 85% 4 sets of 2
WK 5- 90% 2 sets of 1
WK 6- 95% 1 set of 1
This is a basic training cycle that was used for the main lifts when doing a raw cycle

In gear it was a little different

On the “lighter days” was by feel

Secondary lifts was 3 sets of 3-5 reps heavy

On the accessory exercises was anywhere between 8-20 reps

2 Likes

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions! I’ll be lifting 4 or 5 days. I recover better when I split up my work in several shorter sessions. If there’s a fifth day it’s only usually very easy stuff like arms isolation, calves, and abs

1 Like

Keep us posted!

1 Like