Help w/ Lab Results and Follow Up Qs

No,and I do not put up with BS on this forum. I am waiting to see everyone jump to your defense.

The goals here are not your freedom to say things that are not consistent with the goals of this forum.

[quote]cjackson25 wrote:
With a 210 testosterone count I’d be surprised if you could even father a healthy child if you wanted to. HCG alone most likely won’t work. Maybe you sexually exhausted yourself or are a victim of estrogen hormone poisoning in meat or flouride poisoning in tap water or plastics poisoning producing more estrogen stress. [/quote]

Why would you post something like this? It’s bad enough that the OP is struggling with his problems and you try to make it seem like there is no hope for him? You offered no advice for his situation. Instead, you went off on some random tangent that doesn’t add anything useful to this thread. Then you attacked a member who has gone out of his way to help countless people on this board? Take your bullshit elsewhere.

xvorlonx - sorry for the tangent in your thread.

to cjackson:

can flouride be a legitimate issue? possibly

can BPA’s be a legitimate issue? possibly

have you built up any positive reputation so that people will listen to you? no

has KSMan built up enough positive reputation based on the help he has provided to countless people? yes

have you built up a negative reputation with short misdirected digestion-related posts causing people to view everything you say with a great deal of skepticism? yes

can you turn things around? yes, but it would take you completely changing your posting style.

cjackson25 = Asperger’s and/or a social nitwit/virgin

Pitiful that you don’t have anything more stimulating going on.

Can we petition the admins of the board to give one or more people the ability to remove idiots like this?

Good morning everyone! Thx for all the feedback…lol Anyways…
Waking temps.
Monday - 97.3 ( Took NO iodine all weekend. Took more iodine before bed because i did not take any all weekend)
Tuesday 96.6 ( Took more iodine )
Wednesday(TODAY) 96.4
It is very odd my temps seem to be going back down… I will continue to track this. Maby i am taking to much iodine? Hard to say. This week i will take one squirt a day and see if it helps. If not i will Try one squirt every two days and keep experimenting.

Tomorrow i have my appointment with the Endo. I am going to ask for the following labs. If there is anything else you guys think i should ask for please let me know.

Quest Sensitive 4021x
Labs to be done before you start TRT
-LH and FSH [LH/FSH]
-TT
-FT or bio-T
-E2
-Prolactin [optional in most cases]
-DHT [sort of a waist of time and blood if your testosterone levels are low]
-PSA
-DRE: the dreaded digital rectal exam, doc gives you the finger.
Thyroid labs [basic first line]
-TSH
-T3 no see fT3
-T4 no see fT4

• Chemistry Panel (Metabolic panel with lipids)
  • Complete Blood Count (CBC)
  • Free Testosterone
  • Total Testosterone (<500 is not good. 700-1000 is good)
  • DHEA-S - Sulfate (low DHEA = increased risk of cardio complications + DHEA converts to T)
  • Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA)
  • Estradiol
  • Homocysteine
  • C-reactive protein (High sensitivity) - (high = cardio risk)
  • TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) - not that important. It is inaccurate and too many doctors use it as the holy grail; T4/T3 numbers are more important.
    [KSman says: All of the group above can be had as a male lab panel from lef.org, the price is right, but it is always out-of-pocket and insurance will not cover.]
  • Total T4

• Free T4

• Total T3

• Free T3

• Reverse T3 (excess T4 converts to RT3. High RT3 blocks free T3 - so your TSH and T3 numbers could look great, but are blocked by RT3 and you feel like @$#!)

• Thyroglobulin Antibodies

• Thyroid Peroxidase

• Cortisol (low cortisol = low overall cellular functions)

• LH (low LH = pituitary disfunction causing hypogonadism - need MRI to check for pituitary tumor)

• FSH (same as above)

• DHT (Dihydrotestosterone)

• SHBG

• IGF-1 (Insulin-Like Growth Factor) (indicator of Human Growth Hormone <200 = not great)

• Prolactin

• Progesterone

• Pregnenolone (precursor of Cortisol, DHEA, and Progesterone + Preg resolves brain fog and improved memory)

• VITAMIN B12

• Vitamin D, 25-OH Total (should be 70-100 I think - almost everyone is deficient)

• Vitamin D, 25-OH D3

• Ferritin (critical for cellular function - low ferritin = low transport capability of hormones, etc.)

• Iron, Total Binding Capacity

• Iron, Binding Capacity

• Magnesium, RBC (is important for cellular energy (ATP) production)

Again everyone thanks for the feedback and answers.

Good morning everyone! Thx for all the feedback…lol Anyways…
Waking temps.
Monday - 97.3 ( Took NO iodine all weekend. Took more iodine before bed because i did not take any all weekend)
Tuesday 96.6 ( Took more iodine )
Wednesday(TODAY) 96.4
It is very odd my temps seem to be going back down… I will continue to track this. Maby i am taking to much iodine? Hard to say. This week i will take one squirt and see if it helps. If not i will Try one squirt every two days and keep experimenting.

Tomorrow i have my appointment with the Endo. I am going to ask for the following labs. If there is anything else you guys think i should ask for please let me know.
I also plan to ask for a sperm count.

Quest Sensitive 4021x
Labs to be done before you start TRT
-LH and FSH [LH/FSH]
-TT
-FT or bio-T
-E2
-Prolactin [optional in most cases]
-DHT [sort of a waist of time and blood if your testosterone levels are low]
-PSA
-DRE: the dreaded digital rectal exam, doc gives you the finger.
Thyroid labs [basic first line]
-TSH
-T3 no see fT3
-T4 no see fT4

• Free Testosterone
  • Total Testosterone (<500 is not good. 700-1000 is good)
  • DHEA-S - Sulfate (low DHEA = increased risk of cardio complications + DHEA converts to T)
  • Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA)
  • Estradiol
  • Homocysteine
  • C-reactive protein (High sensitivity) - (high = cardio risk)
  • TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) - not that important. It is inaccurate and too many doctors use it as the holy grail; T4/T3 numbers are more important.
    [KSman says: All of the group above can be had as a male lab panel from lef.org, the price is right, but it is always out-of-pocket and insurance will not cover.]
  • Total T4

• Free T4

• Total T3

• Free T3

• Reverse T3 (excess T4 converts to RT3. High RT3 blocks free T3 - so your TSH and T3 numbers could look great, but are blocked by RT3 and you feel like @$#!)

• Thyroglobulin Antibodies

• Thyroid Peroxidase

• Cortisol (low cortisol = low overall cellular functions)

• LH (low LH = pituitary disfunction causing hypogonadism - need MRI to check for pituitary tumor)

• FSH (same as above)

• DHT (Dihydrotestosterone)

• SHBG

• IGF-1 (Insulin-Like Growth Factor) (indicator of Human Growth Hormone <200 = not great)

• Prolactin

• Progesterone

• Pregnenolone (precursor of Cortisol, DHEA, and Progesterone + Preg resolves brain fog and improved memory)

• VITAMIN B12

• Vitamin D, 25-OH Total (should be 70-100 I think - almost everyone is deficient)

• Vitamin D, 25-OH D3

• Ferritin (critical for cellular function - low ferritin = low transport capability of hormones, etc.)

• Iron, Binding Capacity

• Magnesium, RBC (is important for cellular energy (ATP) production)

Thanks for the help guys.

I wish you the best. The chances of getting most (or any) of these tests from an Endo will be slim. Expect some push back, but try to insist. You just want a baseline before you start on any hormone treatments, and if your case turns out to be more difficult then normal, these tests may be able to save you a lot of time, money, and frustration.

I also cleaned up your list slightly.

-LH and FSH
-TT
-FT
-E2 (if Quest - confirm they do the sensitive test 4021)
-Prolactin
-DHT
-PSA
-SHBG
-IGF-1
-Progesterone
-Pregnenolone
-DHEA-S

Thyroid labs
-TSH
-free T3
-free T4
-reverse T3
-Thyroglobulin Antibodies
-Thyroid Peroxidase

• AM Cortisol (make sure you have the blood drawn as close to 8am as possible)
  • Homocysteine
  • C-reactive protein
  • VITAMIN B12
  • Vitamin D, 25-OH
  • Ferritin
  • Magnesium, RBC

[quote]PureChance wrote:
I wish you the best. The chances of getting most (or any) of these tests from an Endo will be slim. Expect some push back, but try to insist. You just want a baseline before you start on any hormone treatments, and if your case turns out to be more difficult then normal, these tests may be able to save you a lot of time, money, and frustration.

I also cleaned up your list slightly.

-LH and FSH
-TT
-FT
-E2 (if Quest - confirm they do the sensitive test 4021)
-Prolactin
-DHT
-PSA
-SHBG
-IGF-1
-Progesterone
-Pregnenolone
-DHEA-S

Thyroid labs
-TSH
-free T3
-free T4
-reverse T3
-Thyroglobulin Antibodies
-Thyroid Peroxidase

• AM Cortisol (make sure you have the blood drawn as close to 8am as possible)
  • Homocysteine
  • C-reactive protein
  • VITAMIN B12
  • Vitamin D, 25-OH
  • Ferritin
  • Magnesium, RBC[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I will use your cleaned up list! I will be sure follow up with my results as soon as i get them.

Good morning everyone!
Ok, so I went and saw the Endo yesterday. Told her all my symptoms and gave her all my results from previous blood tests ect.
When I told her I was checking my waking body temps and using iodine to try and raise them .she told me not to do that. She said at this point that is not necessary. My reaction at that point wasâ?¦ â?¦. Dang this isnâ??t goodâ?¦

Also she seemed very resistant towards some of the blood work I wanted done. Good thing though, I was able to get most of what I wanted on there.
Another odd thing she wanted me to do was test my urine for 24 hrs. So I am going to need to take a day off work to collect my urine all day and keep it refrigerated. I think she order this test because of my constant fatigue I told her aboutâ?¦ Not sureâ?¦

That is about all the main points. When I asked her about possible treatment she said it was too early to tell what treatment will be required. I also forgot to ask for a sperm count. She scheduled a follow up appointment 3 weeks from now to discuss the results from my labs. So I will ask her about that then. Anyway here is a list of what is getting tested below.

Quest Diagnostics, ICD9 Diagnosis Codes. 257.2, 253.2
Comp Metabolic Panel, 10165
ACTH, 211
Estradiol, 4021
IGF-1, 16293
IBC, Iron, 7573
Magnesium, 622
T4 total, 867 & T3 Uptake, 861
TSH, 899
Cortisol AM,4212

SPOT URINE TESTS
Urine Electrolytes, 8347, 8514, 1645

24-HOUR URINE COLLECTIONS
Cortisol, Free (with creatinine), 11280

Oh one more thing to add. the Endo said if we dont get any answers from this blood work she will be sending me to get an MRI of my pitulitary gland. Which i had been expecting. Any info you guys could give to help me with my follow up would be greatly appreciated.

run away from this doc (after the MRI and after you get a copy of your results). Make her office fax you the test results BEFORE your appointment so that you can review them and go in with a game plan (not that it will help with this particular doc). post your results and go in armed with suggestions.

those thyroid tests are useless. You already knew you had a possible issue, and needed the Free T4, Free T3, Reverse T3 to show you exactly what was wrong. Total T4 is useless. TSH is mostly useless.

testing for Cortisol is good, but why is she running estradiol without checking your Total T at the same time. The tests she picked seem completely random. I can’t see how they will help much.

I have gone through three years of this with eight different doctors and having a missmash of random tests that don’t give you the full picture which just prolongs your suffering and treatment plan. If I had the right tests two years ago and a good doctor who knew how to read test results (btw, most docs truly don’t know how to read test results), I would have gotten to the point I am at now a whole lot quicker.

the way I see it you will wait 3 weeks to get the results and then find out that you don’t have enough data to point to any particular cause. then the doc more than likely will say ‘well these tests are inconclusive (or normal or "in range), we don’t need to do anything more or run more tests because that would just be a waste of time. it must just be in your head. you just need to get more sleep, or more exercise, or go on these antidepressants.’ or he/she will put you on some sort of treatment plan that basically is just a random guess, because you can’t create a comprehensive treatment when you don’t know what is wrong.

Based on her refusal to run any of the legitimate tests you asked form, I strongly advise that you find a new doc.

Purechance,
Thx for the feedback. I called the DR office about getting my results faxed to me as soon as they get them before my appointment and they refused. They said they cannot release the results until the Dr. has had a chance to review them and follow up with me. They said they would give me a copy at my appointment. It appears they are going to squeeze another co-pay out of me to get these results from them.

My only other option I can try is when I go to Quest next week to do the blood work ask them if I can have a copy of the results mailed to me or something like that. At this point I think I will start to look for another Dr. just in case.
Depending upon what she says at this so called â??followâ?? up I might skip the MRI and go right to the next Dr. I donâ??t want to have to pay ANOTHER co-pay after this appointment to get these darn MRI results considering they wont release them to me unless I have the follow up.

For those who want to do out-of-pocket lab work with LEF.com, they will email the PDF of the labs to you and you will also receive a hard copy via the mail.

This is probably a shot in the dark, but does anyone know any good Doctors in FL?

Did you read this sticky?

sounds like a pretty bad office/doctor.

the only reason not to share the test results before hand is to keep the patient in the dark and not allow the patient to partner with the doctor on the patients treatment plan. sounds like the typical control freak doctor.

Quest won’t give you the results. you are at the mercy of the doctor.

I have been told no in the past, but I pushed back and argued that I need the results before the exam so that I can do my own research in order to have an intellegent conversation with the doctor about MY options and to avoid wasting the doctor’s valuable time. It hasn’t always worked, and I have had to leave some bad doctors who wouldn’t work with me.

Ksman:
Thx for the info. I have got numbers to 2 local compounding pharmacies. I will be calling them later to get referrals. Thx for the help.

Purechance:
Thx as well. I will call the Dr. office next week after i have the tests done and try to argue that point.

Update.
Had all blood work done today. Also dropped off my 24 hour urine collection… That was a pain. I stopped taking Iodine 5 days before these tests. My waking body temp has been around 96.8 during that time. I will resume iodine intake starting tomorrow. I will be calling my Dr. office probably Tuesday next week to verify the results are in. If so i will demand to have a copy of them before my follow up.
If this Dr. orders my MRI of the Pituitary gland this visit i will be satisfied. After i get those results i will go to my new Endo that i found through my local compounding pharmacist… thx to Ksman.

Symptoms update.
Since I stopped taking iodine I noticed a decrease in energy towards the afternoons. Not sure if the iodine is related to my decrease in energy lately.
I drank a full throttle energy drink over the weekend and it perked me right up. I felt great… energy wise. This was odd because usually energy drinks and coffee never have any effect on me.

Energy drink: Do you feel a slump in energy at a particular time of day?