Happy Marriages/Relationships

Excellent questions, to get back on the original topic if the OP hopes to glean any useful information from this thread.

Going back off topic, and slightly prolonging the train crash that all threads involving a certain member tend to become, I cannot resist at least one more set of comments:

This assertion is based on your personal experiences, I suppose. If you and/or the people you interact with have had negative relationship experiences, then I am not surprised that you feel this way. The problem is that you take this information and generalize it broadly to a belief that nearly all women are broken-down bags of trash; then, when presented with anecdotes to the contrary, you seem unable to process and consider that information because it conflicts with your prior beliefs. You simply cannot believe that there are happily married men out there with wives who are intelligent, confident, high-achieving, and not “mentally and emotionally defective” creatures, for two reasons - one, it runs counter to your own personal experience, and two, it would require admitting that perhaps there is some culpability on your part.

To explain that “culpability” problem further, I do not mean that you have dated/encountered a string of perfect women. There are plenty of screwed-up women out there just like there are plenty of screwed-up men out there (if you want to see one, check the mirror). There’s likely some selection bias in the women you have dated for long enough for long enough to draw conclusions. From what I can tell based on your posts in the T-Nation forums, there is a pretty minimal chance that a high-achieving and confident woman would waste more than one date on you (and if you did happen to stumble your way into a second or third date withone & she kicked you to the curb after that, everything that I’ve seen on these forums suggest that you’d consider it a problem with her rather than you). I suspect that every woman you’ve dated who has ended the relationship of their own accord has left you thinking something to the effect of “they’re an emotional fucking cunt” and never once considering the possibility that she left because you were not what she was interested in. If that’s your attitude, it’s no wonder you think all women are “mentally and emotionally defective” because the alternative is admitting that maybe she’s just not that into you.

That’s not what I actually said; it’s just that you’re incapable of reading anything in less than black and white terms. I stated several positive attributes that my wife has, which add up to a relationship that is very easy for the two of us because we are both happy with what the other offers.

And if you have issues with people speaking in absolute terms about positive relationship experiences, I think you should ask yourself why you are more tolerant to posts that make broad generalizations as “all women are mentally and emotionally defective” than you are of posts that characterize relationships in a positive light.

Do I speak positively about my wife in real life? Yes. I’m proud of the things that she has and continues to accomplish, and proud to be married to her, as she is proud to be married to me.

Again, your frustration and inability to attract a woman that makes you sufficiently happy colors your judgement here - you simply cannot believe that this exists, because doing so would both conflict with your own experience and make you question (admit) that perhaps you are part of the problem.

If I showed your post history to 100 randomly chosen women, how many do you think would swipe right, so to speak? Here are some examples just from skimming your post history in the last month or so:

Protip: talking about women like they’re some other species is a surefire tell to any reasonably well-functioning woman that they need not spend another moment in your presence.

As a statistician, I’ll just say that pinning down a figure like a “divorce rate” (as a percentage of the number of marriages) is pretty tough because of the dynamics of time. What’s the proper denominator? The number of divorces that occurred in the last year divided by…what? The number of marriages that occur in the years those people got married? As you posted, figures like an annual “rate per population” are much easier to calculate & by comparing the marriage numbers against the divorce numbers you can at least get a general sense of whether the ratio of the two is increasing or not.

I work on a lot of time-to-event analyses in medicine, you could apply those techniques if you had a dataset with had a start date and “end date” (along with an indicator of whether the marriage ended in divorce or some other reason) to get an estimate of the % of marriages that ended in divorce at specific points of interest (1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc). But that requires a lot more work than just chucking a stat out there like “50 percent of all marriages end in divorce”

5 Likes