Gyms in San Diego CA?

I’m moving to San Diego and wanted to know where the good gyms are. Don’t care about treadmills or machines…just want a few good power racks that aren’t crowded out by guys using 5lb plates to do bicep curls and a good set of free weights.

Really would like it if they had olympic weights for those lifts. Also a gym that isn’t anal about using chalk would be cool so my hands don’t look like the bottom of my feet. Low price would be a bonus.

Thanks

SDSU is pretty good…

Curves for women.

[quote]flea333 wrote:
I’m moving to San Diego and wanted to know where the good gyms are. Don’t care about treadmills or machines…just want a few good power racks that aren’t crowded out by guys using 5lb plates to do bicep curls and a good set of free weights.

Really would like it if they had olympic weights for those lifts. Also a gym that isn’t anal about using chalk would be cool so my hands don’t look like the bottom of my feet. Low price would be a bonus.

Thanks[/quote]

World Gym in Pacific Beach is probably the only gym in San Diego that meets your criteria. It is pretty good. I’m not a member (yet), but I’ve toured it a couple times and it is pretty loaded. A group of very dedicated powerlifters trains there as well, so it’s got all the goodies for that, including a monolift.

Otherwise, there are a number of CrossFit locations throughout the county. While you may not want to do CrossFit, their gyms are usually pretty solid when it comes to equipment (racks, platforms, bumper plates, quality barbells, etc.) and you might be able to get into one of those facilities to train.

There’s a couple Powerhouse Gyms in San Diego, I believe. I’m pretty sure there is one in Hillcrest (the gay area of San Diego) or Pacific Beach.

I know SDSU has a fantastic gym, but I’m not sure what the status is for non-students. Otherwise, I think that’s it.

For a city with so many active, good-looking people, you’d think there would be more gyms.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Curves for women.[/quote]

hahaha…