Gregg Valentino's Influence on BBing

Negative, watch bigger stronger faster, he is one of those guys who didnt have what it takes to make it in BBing so he got a sour taste in his mouth about bodybuilders and decided to become a freak.

Fuck him

When I see Gregg, I really don’t think bodybuilding lol. I mean most people do associate him with bodybuilding but he wasn’t doing any comps looking like that. Know why? He looked disgusting, and if he thought he looked incredible, he would have been competing and shit.

So, when I see him with his arms like that, and out at a club, or whatever else you see him doing in a video, I think of him as an average guy that just wanted, needed, craved for, and got a lot of attention. His arms were his medium. Looking at any successful bodybuilder, it’s easy to see they do not engage in the same insane antics that Gregg did.

But, as a person, I think he is misguided but not a bad person. People do what they feel they need to to be happy, he did that. It made him happy, then miserable, but the imediate gratification normally takes precident over long term goals.

Fortunately, he has no affect on me and my view point on steroids. And it didn’t take Gregg Valentino to show me that synthol is the dumbest nastiest shit.

For me:

Influence on view of bodybuilding-none
Influence on focusing on the long term goals and making sure I dont live too fast-good

Every sport has their Dennis Rodman bodybuildings is Gregg Valentino.

By the way I like the guy he’s a funny dude and from bigger faster stronger i thought he was pretty cool.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Professor X wrote:
What the hell are his credentials to speak on ESPN about anything?

He is the circus freak of the week. Unfortunately, his week is lasting way fucking longer than expected.

BAM! you hit the nail on the head there.
[/quote]

I mean hello, his arms EXPLODED you know. He’s the man who’s arms exploded…what more do you guys want? LMAO!

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
I’ve turned my back slightly on MD after The Blechman shafted Romano and Palumbo, but to stay on subject I think Gregg’s influence on bodybuilding is mixed. He’s the ugly side times 100 in regards to his abuse of AAS, his other clandestine business ventures, and general psychotic behavior (come on man, no pinning in the bis).

Personally, he’s someone I would like to buy a giant t-bone and sit down and talk to him about how it used to be like. When the “stuff” flowed freely and we could do as we wished. It would probably be 4 hour steak dinner. I hold him in higher regard than a certain politician and 6 + a freebie Mr. Olympia. “When you play by the rules” My ass.

“6 + a freebie Mr. Olympia.” Good words Growing Boy! [/quote]

Well all know Papa Weider gave him that one.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Vatic wrote:
No such thing as bad media. I think he was a good influence in that he got the sport even more out into the spot light, when it comes to BBing. When the make love not warcraft ep of south park came out taking the piss out of World of Warcraft, 3 times as many people joined for the next month.

Do I think he gave BBing good media, hell no, but that does not mean it was bad.

If bodybuilding needs any “spot lights” shown on it, they need to shine on the most well rounded and respectable individuals involved at the top of the sport, not some fool who injected oil into his arms until they distorted beyond any semblance of aesthetic/natural shape and development who insists “roids” did it when everyone else knows otherwise.

How do you see him as a “good influence”?

I really believe most of the people who think like you do so because no one mistakes you as a bodybuilder on a regular basis. You don’t have to worry about being grouped together with that lunatic so you don’t see the negative impact.[/quote]

I never said he was a good influence I said he got the sport even more out there, even tho it was in a bad way. He did some stupid things to do so and it would have been nicer if he didnt do it that way.

I fence sat, I dont think he was a good or bad influence.

[quote]LilDaDDyDreW wrote:

By the way I like the guy he’s a funny dude and from bigger faster stronger i thought he was pretty cool.[/quote]

Dennis Rodman was a great basketball player.

[quote]Vatic wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Vatic wrote:
No such thing as bad media. I think he was a good influence in that he got the sport even more out into the spot light, when it comes to BBing. When the make love not warcraft ep of south park came out taking the piss out of World of Warcraft, 3 times as many people joined for the next month.

Do I think he gave BBing good media, hell no, but that does not mean it was bad.

If bodybuilding needs any “spot lights” shown on it, they need to shine on the most well rounded and respectable individuals involved at the top of the sport, not some fool who injected oil into his arms until they distorted beyond any semblance of aesthetic/natural shape and development who insists “roids” did it when everyone else knows otherwise.

I really believe most of the people who think like you do so because no one mistakes you as a bodybuilder on a regular basis. You don’t have to worry about being grouped together with that lunatic so you don’t see the negative impact.

I never said he was a good influence I said he got the sport even more out there, even tho it was in a bad way. He did some stupid things to do so and it would have been nicer if he didnt do it that way.

I fence sat, I dont think he was a good or bad influence.[/quote]

How the hell can someone “get the sport more out there” yet have no influence whatsoever on the perception of the public in regards to that sport?

That doesn’t even make sense. If people are now taking more notice because of him, his is logically the stereotype they will now think of in that regard.

Again, I think many of you don’t get stared at because of your size or labeled as different or extreme because of it so this is no concern to you. That has to be the only reason you can’t understand why his being linked to bodybuilding at all is a negative.

[quote]Free2Be wrote:
LilDaDDyDreW wrote:

By the way I like the guy he’s a funny dude and from bigger faster stronger i thought he was pretty cool.

Dennis Rodman was a great basketball player.[/quote]

Exactly. He may have been weird, but the man had talent and kept the crowd interested. Since when does having fake freaky arms and no aesthetic qualities at all make you the same as a world class athlete with funny hair?

When Valentino got crowds intrested, like Rodman… He just had no talent in bodybuilding, he did have talent with speaking in front of a camera which is a talent in itself when most other bodybuilders are pretty lame when in the spotlight.

Vatic wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Vatic wrote:

I really believe most of the people who think like you do so because no one mistakes you as a bodybuilder on a regular basis. You don’t have to worry about being grouped together with that lunatic so you don’t see the negative impact.

I fence sat, I dont think he was a good or bad influence.

How the hell can someone “get the sport more out there” yet have no influence whatsoever on the perception of the public in regards to that sport?

That doesn’t even make sense. If people are now taking more notice because of him, his is logically the stereotype they will now think of in that regard.

Again, I think many of you don’t get stared at because of your size or labeled as different or extreme because of it so this is no concern to you. That has to be the only reason you can’t understand why his being linked to bodybuilding at all is a negative.[/quote]

Short version, spot light on BB, Good. Fact it was on him, Bad. Looking more into BBing because of him, Good. Making own choice based on new info, Good. Not looking into it more and accepting all BBers are like Gregg, Bad.

It is of concern to us because we are the other people. I saw Gregg before I got into lifting, did that have an effect on how I see BBing and Steroids, YES. Dont say that our opinion is worthless when we are the people you are talking about it swaying.

[quote]LilDaDDyDreW wrote:
When Valentino got crowds intrested, like Rodman… He just had no talent in bodybuilding, he did have talent with speaking in front of a camera which is a talent in itself when most other bodybuilders are pretty lame when in the spotlight.[/quote]

Question, if someone has no talent in a sport, why are they the focus of all of this discussion unless it is simply because they are a circus freak?

Valentino is no bodybuilding authority. He is just a guy who lifted weights and then went off the deep end injecting shit into his arms until they looked like tumors. People are using him (like MD magazine) to increase sales just because people like to look at the freak…but he is as removed from real bodybuilding as Rodman is from an Amish farmer.

I agree with X. Rodman was a great performer and you could look at him and see a great part of Basketball. You have to look past Gregg to see the great parts of BBing.

[quote]Vatic wrote:

Short version, spot light on BB, Good. Fact it was on him, Bad. Looking more into BBing because of him, Good. Making own choice based on new info, Good. Not looking into it more and accepting all BBers are like Gregg, Bad.

It is of concern to us because we are the other people. I saw Gregg before I got into lifting, did that have an effect on how I see BBing and Steroids, YES. Dont say that our opinion is worthless when we are the people you are talking about it swaying.[/quote]

You just admitted that it had an effect on how you viewed bodybuilding when you first saw him so why are you arguing that it has NO EFFECT on everyone else?

The average person is going to believe him when he says steroids are why his arms look like that. He is on fucking ESPN for crying out loud. If they don’t believe anyone else, they are going to assume what they are seeing after prime time sports is the absolute truth. They don’t know shit about “synthol” and then wouldn’t know how to conceptualize it if they did. That means when they see him, they will lump every really huge guy in with him believing his development is what could happen to each one of them.

The average person doesn’t see “big biceps, developed traps and big quads” when they see a pro bodybuilder. All they see is “big” and “veins” and then jump to whatever pre-programmed response is expected of them. They are not going to say, “Gee, Greg’s arms can’t be steroid related. He must have injected silicone gel into them”.

What? You just admitted that it had an effect on how you viewed bodybuilding when you first saw him so why are you arguing that it has NO EFFECT on everyone else?

The average person is going to believe him when he says steroids are why his arms look like that. He is on fucking ESPN for crying out loud. If they don’t believe anyone else, they are going to assume what they are seeing after prime time sports is the absolute truth. They don’t know shit about “synthol” and then wouldn’t know hoe to conceptualize it if they did. That means when they see him, they will lump every really huge guy in with him believing his development is what could happen to each one of them.

The average person doesn’t see “big biceps, developed traps and big quads” when they see a pro bodybuilder. All they see is “big” and “veins” and then jump to whatever pre-programmed response is expected of them. They are not going to say, “Gee, Greg’s arms can’t be steroid related. He must have injected silicone gel into them”.[/quote]

I never said it wouldn’t effect everyone else. If someone is that ignorant and stupid to just lump everyone together like that then fuck’em, hopefully by darwins theory those people will die. By taking up a sport that makes you significantly larger then what most people would see as required you have already created that view and made your self the outcast. Before Gregg people would see someone who was really big and think or say “he is on so many 'roids he must have balls like marbles and a dick like a tooth pick”. Gregg just gave steroid/synthol abuse a face. People already had and have a fucked up view of BBing regardless of if they know of Gregg or not. But if because of gregg they get interested and take a deeper look into BBing then all the better.

When I first saw Gregg I was amazed that someone would do that to himself and I took a look on the web to find out more, you know what I found…T-Nation.

[quote]Vatic wrote:

I never said it wouldn’t effect everyone else. If someone is that ignorant and stupid to just lump everyone together like that then fuck’em, hopefully by darwins theory those people will die. By taking up a sport that makes you significantly larger then what most people would see as required you have already created that view and made your self the outcast. Before Gregg people would see someone who was really big and think or say “he is on so many 'roids he must have balls like marbles and a dick like a tooth pick”. Gregg just gave steroid/synthol abuse a face. People already had and have a fucked up view of BBing regardless of if they know of Gregg or not. But if because of gregg they get interested and take a deeper look into BBing then all the better.

When I first saw Gregg I was amazed that someone would do that to himself and I took a look on the web to find out more, you know what I found…T-Nation.[/quote]

Good for you, but you seem to be drastically OVERESTIMATING the intelligence of the average person in this country. Most people don’t research SHIT. They want to be told what to think and how to react. Look at how everyone is overreacting to the fucking Swine Flu.

While we can all claim we really don’t care what people think, when there are BILLIONS of the mutherfuckers, it is inevitable that stupidity will eventually affect us one way or another.

We don’t need any help in the spread of “dumb” from this moron Valentino.

i just hate how he blames it on steroids when it was synthol

like is that so hard to admit?

he gives steroids a bad name when nothing that got him fame/notorioty has to do with steroids.

Good for you, but you seem to be drastically OVERESTIMATING the intelligence of the average person in this country. Most people don’t research SHIT. They want to be told what to think and how to react. Look at how everyone is overreacting to the fucking Swine Flu.

While we can all claim we really don’t care what people think, when there are BILLIONS of the mutherfuckers, it is inevitable that stupidity will eventually affect us one way or another.

We don’t need any help in the spread of “dumb” from this moron Valentino.
[/quote]

You have a fair argument, but I think we are arguing if a coin is heads or tails. I think we are both right to an extent, Valentino will make the steroid tag on BBing even worse and the fact that the guy is a “rambling freak” doesnt help the case. Esspecially in the case of average Joe Citizen who is a fucking moron. On the other side of the coin he is bringing more attention to the sport and the people who do look into it maybe pleasently suprised and join a gym and start lifting themselves and spread a good word of BBing.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i just hate how he blames it on steroids when it was synthol

like is that so hard to admit?

he gives steroids a bad name when nothing that got him fame/notorioty has to do with steroids. [/quote]

Totally agree!

Valentino will be the first to admit he was a moron for doing what he did to his arm and not giving a fuck about the syringe being dropped on the floor and what not. He knows he’s a jackass.

It was unfair to compare Rodman to Valentino, why the comparison was made is both are the outlaws/badboys of what they do. Both draw negative attention to the point where they would talk about their antics more than anything else. Rodman’s off court behavior got more attention then his on court greatness… Yet there was nothing else to talk about in Valentino’s case so again bad comparison. If he was an Ifbb pro that ended up doing this shit it would be a different story. You should understand what I was getting at though.