Gregg Valentino's Influence on BBing

He’s a total fucking mess.

I can’t say that the guy hasn’t been around, and he obviously loves the sport, but he comes across as severely retarded, and attempting to read his “Ramblin’ Freak” column feels like washing my eyes out with Lye…

Plus, those arms are obviously ridiculous. I asked him about it in a thread on MD a while ago, and he swore up and down that it wasn’t synthol, just site injections that blew his arms up like that. Obviously, I believed that about as much as I believe in the Easter Bunny…

In short - he’s an extremely negative influence as a representative of bodybuilding…

Even tho he made several mistakes, after reading the interviews and watching the vidoes on YTube I came to the conclusion that afterall he’s a nice guy.
He had some kind of little man complex disorder so he wanted to becoma a freak.
A very stupid guy but still a good guy

I think he’s somewhat of a class act to go through what he did and still be able to produce comprehensable sentences…

But he’s a liar. And until he confesses that his arms aren’t just a by-product of steroids, I’ll never have any real respect for him.

I used to instictively revile him and thought he was an idiot, but he seems pretty cool. I wish he would explain, truthfully, what he did to his arms/body. I think it would be interesting. BTW, there are a lot of guys like him, out there, with inflated, distorted muscles.

Negative influence.

A regular joe who has seen the documentary “the man’s whos arms exploded” will lump all the bodybuilders into the same level as Valentino. Then tell his friends about it, who will do the same. Spreads like a virus and affects bodybuilding negatively.

However, I get a kick out of reading his stuff and watching his interviews. Funny guy.

guys a disgrace to bodybuilding and all he does is confuse people more about roids

Dude is a nut, but I love the sit down with him in Bigger, Stronger, Faster where he’s eating the T-Bone with his hands in the diner, that was pretty funny.

forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?t=60397

There are a couple threads on him over at the MD forums. Here is a link to one.

Thank you all for adding your comments.

I for one notice that anybody that is a bodybuilder/fan says he’s a lying sack of sht…and anybody who knows a miniscule amount about steroids says he’s a lying sack of sht.

The only people who seem to support him are those who probably believe what the musclet**h ads tell them LOL

Altho I do believe as a fan of bodybuilding himself, that Gregg could probably have a few cool stories to tell from the Gold’s Venice days…its just hard to believe him and you’d probably spend most of your time wading through the bullsh*t

Thanks for posting all.

I think some of the points he makes about steroids pre-ESPN-E60 interview are insightful and well thought out. I believe that his personal experience and recount of his own history are greatly distorted.

His change of heart is less believable because after espousing one behavior for so long the sudden change appears to be disingenuous. IMO it is convienet since he now has a far greater national platform to speak from through ESPN than from a niche sub-culture that accepts performance enhancing drugs. He stands to benefit much more now by saying “steroids are bad” than he ever would by saying “steroids are a part of the culture I most closely associate myself with.”

Net-net: He is bad for body building on more than 1 level.

I always thought he would be a cool guy to hang out with from what I have seen of his video’s. He also obviously knows what he is doing as far as training and diet are concerned. I just think he made a couple of mistakes like everybody in life. Only difference is that he had a camera on him at the time and most of us didn’t

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
I always thought he would be a cool guy to hang out with from what I have seen of his video’s. He also obviously knows what he is doing as far as training and diet are concerned. I just think he made a couple of mistakes like everybody in life. Only difference is that he had a camera on him at the time and most of us didn’t[/quote]

I think even if I had a camera, in no way would I be compelled to film something so retarted let alone do it in the first place, but hey I guess that was his way of getting noticed by blowing his fucking arms up

What the hell are his credentials to speak on ESPN about anything?

He is the circus freak of the week. Unfortunately, his week is lasting way fucking longer than expected.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
What the hell are his credentials to speak on ESPN about anything?

He is the circus freak of the week. Unfortunately, his week is lasting way fucking longer than expected.[/quote]

BAM! you hit the nail on the head there.

LAUGHING MY MOTHA FUCKING ASS OFF last twenty six seconds, where they try their fucking hardest to show the harm of steroids, and there is NONE!

I agree with everything he said:
Kids should not use steroids
Its cheating in sports that don’t allow it
Steroids can ruin lives, and for most are probably not worth it------- BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL NOT BECAUSE OF HEALTH ISSUES.

Anyone who does not realize that being caught with an illegal substance can severely fuck up your future is kidding themselves.

as we say in the uk, the guy is a total dick!
probably done more to damage the image of bodybuilding and steroids by his actions and bullshit than any person in the history of the sport.he is probably the main reason why in the general public and media’s view bodybuilding is seen as a joke and a freak show, rather than something to be admired and respected.

(apologies for sitting on the fence :wink: )

as we say in the uk, the guy is a total dick!
probably done more to damage the image of bodybuilding and steroids by his actions and bullshit than any person in the history of the sport.he is probably the main reason why in the general public and media’s view bodybuilding is seen as a joke and a freak show, rather than something to be admired and respected.

(apologies for sitting on the fence :wink: )

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
I’ve turned my back slightly on MD after The Blechman shafted Romano and Palumbo, but to stay on subject I think Gregg’s influence on bodybuilding is mixed. He’s the ugly side times 100 in regards to his abuse of AAS, his other clandestine business ventures, and general psychotic behavior (come on man, no pinning in the bis).

Personally, he’s someone I would like to buy a giant t-bone and sit down and talk to him about how it used to be like. When the “stuff” flowed freely and we could do as we wished. It would probably be 4 hour steak dinner. I hold him in higher regard than a certain politician and 6 + a freebie Mr. Olympia. “When you play by the rules” My ass. [/quote]

“6 + a freebie Mr. Olympia.” Good words Growing Boy!

No offence but I think you all are exagerating a bit. I know lots of people who have seen him who know nothing about bodybuilding etc. and just say what the hell is up with him and such…you know people who don’t workout still have logic that he obviosuly did something more than just steroids. half the people that I know have seen him and never heard of him before said he mustve got implants…

So anyways…yeah sure what he did was bad, but who cares…i DOUBT the general public is going to see you in the same light as him just because you workout/bodybuild too.

If someone see’s gregg, and then see’s you and you are huge and workout…i DOUBT they are going to think that you are like gregg.
Just like if someone knows about a crooked cop…do you really think everyone is going to think ALL cops are crooked?
No.

In the end, he hasn’t done ANYTHING in bodybuilding. There’s someone in every major sport that is doin fucked up shit you don’t know about lol. He just got a camera with him. He hasn’t done good, and I don’t think he’s done bad. He’s just another story to talk about.
Everybody’s got a story.