Great Powerlifter's Routines

[quote]trivium wrote:
This is a post from a lifter on here named Reed. It was a good read, so I figured I would throw it up…

"As for training in general unless in the last 4-5 weeks of a meet I really push for reps. So I am able to break PRs but they may only be by a rep or by a few pounds but it allows me to almost weekly break some kind of PR almost weekly and none stop. I also mix up from week to week whether I am using completely raw or say using knee wraps or a sling shot or even bands or chains.

My training is adopted and mixed from Sam Byrds teachings and Chris Duffin’s also with even a few principle of Westside training.

Sam Byrd taught me basically everything I know about squat tech and anything related. I also learned from Sam to not be afraid to stop doing 1 rep maxes and focus more on 3-8 rep range for all compound moves and to not shy away from “body building” type moves. Unless of course in the last few weeks of meet prep. My main template is essentially a very basic linear progressive overload.
Week 1- 3x3 last set AMRAP.
Week 2- 3x5 last set AMRAP.
Week 3- 3x8 Last set AMRAP.
Week 4- work up to max 3-5 then overload with reverse bands.
Week 5- add 2-5% and start over 3x3.

Squat twice a week once heavy and once lighter never wrapped squat. It may still be heavy but its a move that I can’t get as heavy on like a low box squat with SSB Bar or Defict Deadlifts. Something like that or it may be speed work just depends on how I am feeling.

Sams most important aspect of training as well is recovery. I only train 3 times a week 4 MAX and its a optional speed bench day.

Sunday- Squat and Deadlift Heavy.
Monday- Bench Heavy
Tuesday- off
Wednesday- Light squat
Thursday- off
Friday- off
Saturday- off.

This gives me almost a full week of rest before doing a heavy set. I have a full 72hours off each week almost like a mini deload recovery week every single week. This on top of food and supps allows me to be damn near 100% every single session. Which comes more from a mix of Sam’s and Rich Weil’s Ideology.

As for Chris Duffin I believe in working alot of mixed grip, different stance, paused variations, and using a variety of bars and movements to really train my self. If you can Sqaut 500 starting out of the hole with SSB Bar then you can fucking annihilate it with a standard bar starting from the top.

Westside I believe in almost all accessory work should be where alot your volume is going to come from and every movement should be picked to destroy your weak sticking points. Like me in my bench. I have a horrible time getting my triceps to take over where they should they just don’t have the strength so most of my bench accessories revolve around smoking my triceps. Almost every bench session for me right now looks like this…

Bench: Follow Template
Sling Shot or 2-3 board pause presses for 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps.
Back 2 movements
Triceps Isolation move 4 sets of 8-15
Triceps Fatigue Band Work.

As for my Squat when I am wrapped I have never missed a squat due to my legs not being able to push but because my upper back just can’t support it. So I focus on alot Front Squats, Paused SSB Squats, Reverse Bands (because 600 feels like a empty bar after you have taken 700 with reverse bands) and lots of box pulls. Luckily my Deadlift goes up as my squat does because I pull with a stance almost identical to my squat. But, if anything goes its my upper back and I just can’t get it to lock out. Then finish up with GHR, Stiff Leg Deadlifts, Step Ups, Leg aband Pull Aparts, and anything else to really tax my Posterior Chain as I have always been very quad dominate I don’t need a ton of work there."

His log can be found here:

So he uses say 315 for 3x3 then the next week he does 315 for 3x5 and then so on?