Great Powerlifter's Routines

[quote]trivium wrote:
This is a post from a lifter on here named Reed. It was a good read, so I figured I would throw it up…

"As for training in general unless in the last 4-5 weeks of a meet I really push for reps. So I am able to break PRs but they may only be by a rep or by a few pounds but it allows me to almost weekly break some kind of PR almost weekly and none stop. I also mix up from week to week whether I am using completely raw or say using knee wraps or a sling shot or even bands or chains.

My training is adopted and mixed from Sam Byrds teachings and Chris Duffin’s also with even a few principle of Westside training.

Sam Byrd taught me basically everything I know about squat tech and anything related. I also learned from Sam to not be afraid to stop doing 1 rep maxes and focus more on 3-8 rep range for all compound moves and to not shy away from “body building” type moves. Unless of course in the last few weeks of meet prep. My main template is essentially a very basic linear progressive overload.
Week 1- 3x3 last set AMRAP.
Week 2- 3x5 last set AMRAP.
Week 3- 3x8 Last set AMRAP.
Week 4- work up to max 3-5 then overload with reverse bands.
Week 5- add 2-5% and start over 3x3.

Squat twice a week once heavy and once lighter never wrapped squat. It may still be heavy but its a move that I can’t get as heavy on like a low box squat with SSB Bar or Defict Deadlifts. Something like that or it may be speed work just depends on how I am feeling.

Sams most important aspect of training as well is recovery. I only train 3 times a week 4 MAX and its a optional speed bench day.

Sunday- Squat and Deadlift Heavy.
Monday- Bench Heavy
Tuesday- off
Wednesday- Light squat
Thursday- off
Friday- off
Saturday- off.

This gives me almost a full week of rest before doing a heavy set. I have a full 72hours off each week almost like a mini deload recovery week every single week. This on top of food and supps allows me to be damn near 100% every single session. Which comes more from a mix of Sam’s and Rich Weil’s Ideology.

As for Chris Duffin I believe in working alot of mixed grip, different stance, paused variations, and using a variety of bars and movements to really train my self. If you can Sqaut 500 starting out of the hole with SSB Bar then you can fucking annihilate it with a standard bar starting from the top.

Westside I believe in almost all accessory work should be where alot your volume is going to come from and every movement should be picked to destroy your weak sticking points. Like me in my bench. I have a horrible time getting my triceps to take over where they should they just don’t have the strength so most of my bench accessories revolve around smoking my triceps. Almost every bench session for me right now looks like this…

Bench: Follow Template
Sling Shot or 2-3 board pause presses for 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps.
Back 2 movements
Triceps Isolation move 4 sets of 8-15
Triceps Fatigue Band Work.

As for my Squat when I am wrapped I have never missed a squat due to my legs not being able to push but because my upper back just can’t support it. So I focus on alot Front Squats, Paused SSB Squats, Reverse Bands (because 600 feels like a empty bar after you have taken 700 with reverse bands) and lots of box pulls. Luckily my Deadlift goes up as my squat does because I pull with a stance almost identical to my squat. But, if anything goes its my upper back and I just can’t get it to lock out. Then finish up with GHR, Stiff Leg Deadlifts, Step Ups, Leg aband Pull Aparts, and anything else to really tax my Posterior Chain as I have always been very quad dominate I don’t need a ton of work there."

His log can be found here:

So he uses say 315 for 3x3 then the next week he does 315 for 3x5 and then so on?

[quote]Scott_Rhino wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
This is a post from a lifter on here named Reed. It was a good read, so I figured I would throw it up…

"As for training in general unless in the last 4-5 weeks of a meet I really push for reps. So I am able to break PRs but they may only be by a rep or by a few pounds but it allows me to almost weekly break some kind of PR almost weekly and none stop. I also mix up from week to week whether I am using completely raw or say using knee wraps or a sling shot or even bands or chains.

My training is adopted and mixed from Sam Byrds teachings and Chris Duffin’s also with even a few principle of Westside training.

Sam Byrd taught me basically everything I know about squat tech and anything related. I also learned from Sam to not be afraid to stop doing 1 rep maxes and focus more on 3-8 rep range for all compound moves and to not shy away from “body building” type moves. Unless of course in the last few weeks of meet prep. My main template is essentially a very basic linear progressive overload.
Week 1- 3x3 last set AMRAP.
Week 2- 3x5 last set AMRAP.
Week 3- 3x8 Last set AMRAP.
Week 4- work up to max 3-5 then overload with reverse bands.
Week 5- add 2-5% and start over 3x3.

Squat twice a week once heavy and once lighter never wrapped squat. It may still be heavy but its a move that I can’t get as heavy on like a low box squat with SSB Bar or Defict Deadlifts. Something like that or it may be speed work just depends on how I am feeling.

Sams most important aspect of training as well is recovery. I only train 3 times a week 4 MAX and its a optional speed bench day.

Sunday- Squat and Deadlift Heavy.
Monday- Bench Heavy
Tuesday- off
Wednesday- Light squat
Thursday- off
Friday- off
Saturday- off.

This gives me almost a full week of rest before doing a heavy set. I have a full 72hours off each week almost like a mini deload recovery week every single week. This on top of food and supps allows me to be damn near 100% every single session. Which comes more from a mix of Sam’s and Rich Weil’s Ideology.

As for Chris Duffin I believe in working alot of mixed grip, different stance, paused variations, and using a variety of bars and movements to really train my self. If you can Sqaut 500 starting out of the hole with SSB Bar then you can fucking annihilate it with a standard bar starting from the top.

Westside I believe in almost all accessory work should be where alot your volume is going to come from and every movement should be picked to destroy your weak sticking points. Like me in my bench. I have a horrible time getting my triceps to take over where they should they just don’t have the strength so most of my bench accessories revolve around smoking my triceps. Almost every bench session for me right now looks like this…

Bench: Follow Template
Sling Shot or 2-3 board pause presses for 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps.
Back 2 movements
Triceps Isolation move 4 sets of 8-15
Triceps Fatigue Band Work.

As for my Squat when I am wrapped I have never missed a squat due to my legs not being able to push but because my upper back just can’t support it. So I focus on alot Front Squats, Paused SSB Squats, Reverse Bands (because 600 feels like a empty bar after you have taken 700 with reverse bands) and lots of box pulls. Luckily my Deadlift goes up as my squat does because I pull with a stance almost identical to my squat. But, if anything goes its my upper back and I just can’t get it to lock out. Then finish up with GHR, Stiff Leg Deadlifts, Step Ups, Leg aband Pull Aparts, and anything else to really tax my Posterior Chain as I have always been very quad dominate I don’t need a ton of work there."

His log can be found here:

So he uses say 315 for 3x3 then the next week he does 315 for 3x5 and then so on?
[/quote]

Ask him in his log. He is great about responding, and gives very detailed responses (like the one he gave me above).

I wanted to throw this up. I have been crunched for time, so I haven’t been posting all of my finds up here. I have been reading a ton on Chris Duffin, Sam Byrd, George Leeman, Jonnie Candito, Jamie Lewis, Benni Magnusson, the Lilliebridges, and Mike Tuchscherer. I am really enjoying Mike Tuc’s stuff, but I haven’t bought the book yet.

I wanted to keep this going by posting an awesome thread that was brought to my attention by Fletch.

It was made by StormTheBeach. It is on Westside. I haven’t read the whole thing yet, but it is definitely a gem and belongs here.

Here is the Magnusson-Ortmayer program as written by Jonathan Pietrolaj of IronMillStrong.

There is a 12 week version of the program that I don’t think that we covered.

Magnusson-Ortmayere Deadlift Program**********************
By: Jonthan Pietrolaj*

Week 1

Warm up

4X4 @ 70%

2X2 @ 80%

1X8+ @ 70%

Week 2

Warm up

4X4 @ 70%

1X2 @ 80%

1X2 @ 90%

1X8+ @ 70%

Week 3 â?? If you hit all your reps in Week 2, add 10lbs to your weights in Week 3. If not, repeat Week 2 weights.

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% + 10lbs

1X2 @ 80% + 10lbs

1X2 @ 90% + 10lbs

1X8+ @ 70% + 10lbs

Week 4

Do something other than Deadlifting. I squatted heavy.

The percentages are based on a projected max. I picked a conservative starting weight, 655lbs. My goal was to not miss a rep. I went through the above cycle once. A few weeks later I decided to try a max Deadlift. I worked up to 675lbs. It flew off the ground to lockout. I couldnâ??t believe how easy it felt. At that point I decided I was going to repeat the program, but do a few cycles back to back.

I ended up finding a 12 Week version of the program online. Iâ??m not sure if its official, but I liked the way it was set up. Itâ??s not that different from the original program. The 12 week version looks like this:

Example weights are based off a max Deadlift of 675lbs.

Week 1

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% Ex: 475lbs

2X2 @ 80% Ex: 540lbs

1X8+ @ 70% Ex: 475lbs

Week 2

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% Ex: 475lbs

1X2 @ 80% Ex: 540lbs

1X2 @ 90% Ex: 610lbs

1X8+ @ 70% Ex: 475lbs

Week 3 â?? If you hit all your reps in Week 2, add 10lbs to your weights in Week 3. If not, repeat Week 2 weights.

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 485lbs

1X2 @ 80% + 10lbs Ex: 550lbs

1X2 @ 90% + 10lbs Ex: 620lbs

1X8+ @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 485lbs

Week 4

Week 5 â?? Week 5 you use the same weights you did in Week 3

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% Ex: 485lbs

1X2 @ 80% Ex: 550lbs

1X2 @ 90% Ex: 620lbs

1X8+ @ 70% Ex: 485lbs

Week 6 â?? If you hit all your reps in Week 5, add another 10lbs to your weights in Week 6. If not, repeat Week 5 weights.

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 495lbs

1X2 @ 80% + 10lbs Ex: 560lbs

1X2 @ 90% + 10lbs Ex: 630lbs

1X8+ @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 495lbs

Week 7 â?? If you hit all your reps in Week 6, add another 10lbs to your weights in Week 7. If not, repeat Week 6 weights.

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 505lbs

1X2 @ 80% + 10lbs Ex: 570lbs

1X2 @ 90% + 10lbs Ex: 630lbs

1X8+ @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 505lbs

Week 8

Week 9 â?? Week 9 you use the same weights you did in Week 7

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% Ex: 505lbs

1X2 @ 80% Ex: 570lbs

1X2 @ 90% Ex: 630lbs

1X8+ @ 70% Ex: 505lbs

Week 10 â?? If you hit all your reps in Week 9, add another 10lbs to your weights in Week 10. If not, repeat Week 9 weights.

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 515lbs

1X2 @ 80% + 10lbs Ex: 580lbs

1X2 @ 90% + 10lbs Ex: 640lbs

1X8+ @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 515lbs

Week 11 â?? If you hit all your reps in Week 10, add another 10lbs to your weights in Week 11. If not, repeat Week 10 weights.

Warm up

4X4 @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 525lbs

1X2 @ 80% + 10lbs Ex: 590lbs

1X2 @ 90% + 10lbs Ex: 650lbs

1X8+ @ 70% + 10lbs Ex: 525lbs

Week 12

Russian Lifter Classifications

I was unable to find percentages and progression for Zydrunas Savickas’ programming.

Zydrunas Savickas’ Program*********

Monday;

1. BACK SQUAT ? 1 SET OF 12 REPS, 1 SET OF 8, 1 SET OF 6, 1 SET OF 4, 2 SETS OF 3 WITH WEIGHT INCREASE EVERY WEEK.
  2. FRONT SQUAT ? 1 SET OF 8 REPS, 1 SET OF 6, 2 SETS OF 4.
  3. CALFS ? 4 SETS OF 15 REPS.

Tuesday;

1. BENCH PRESS - 1 SET OF 12, 1 SET OF 8, 1 SET OF 6, 2 SETS OF 4, 1 SET OF 2.
  2. INCLINE BENCH PRESS - 1 SET OF 8, 1 SET OF 6, 2 SETS OF 4.
  3. CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS ? 4 SETS OF 5.
  4. TRICEP PUSH DOWNS ? 4 SETS OF 8.

Wednesday;

1. DEAD/LIFT ? 1 SET OF 10, 1 SET OF 8, 1 SET OF 6, 3 SETS OF 3 GETTING HEAVIER EACH WEEK.
  2. GOOD MORNINGS ? 3 SETS OF 6.
  3. MACHINE PULLDOWNS AND ROWS.

Thursday;

1. APOLLONS AXLE ? 1 SET OF 10, 1 SET OF 8, 3 SETS OF 6.
  2. SEATED PRESS ? 4 SETS OF 5.
  3. TRAPS ? 4 SETS OF 6.

Friday;

1. MEDICINE BALL THROW FOR HEIGHT - 10 TO 15 THROWS.
  2. CARDIO TRAINING FOR 30 MINS ON A EXERCISE BIKE OR CROSS TRAINER.

Saturday;

1. FARMERS WALK ? 150KG EACH HAND FOR 40M, 2 RUNS.

Sunday;
REST DAY.

Another Version of Savickas’ Program***************
Monday:

1 x 8 Back Squats
5 x 5 Back Squats
1 x 8 Front Squats
4 x 6 Front Squats
1 x 8 Leg Press
4 x 8 Leg Press
4 x 10 Lying Leg Curl
4 x 20 Calf Raises
Tuesday:

1 x 8 Standing Shoulder Press
5 x 6 Standing Shoulder Press
1 x 8 Incline Shoulder Press
4 x 6 Incline Shoulder Press
1 x 8 Close Grip Bench Press
4 x 6 Close Grip Bench Press
1 x 8 French Press
4 x 8 French Press
30 Minutes Cardio
Wednesday:

3 x 25 meters Super Yoke
3 x 150 kg. Max Distance Farmers Walk
1 x 6 Atlas Stones Over Bar (120 cm.)
3 x 5 Atlas Stones Over Bar (120 cm.)
3 x 25 Crunches
Thursday:

3 x 6-10 Deadlift
3 x 3 Deadlift
4 x 6 Good Mornings
4 x 10 Pull Ups
3 x 25 Crunches
Friday:

2 x 6 Log Lift
4 x 4 Log Lift
3 x 25 meters Truck Pulls
3 x 12 Tire Flips
Saturday: Cardio

Sunday: Off Day

Been Reading alot of Dan The Boss Greens stuff lately, and wrote down a split kinda like the one he describes in hos articles and in some podcasts hope you like it :slight_smile:

Mon-Squats/Hams & Calfs (Heavy)

1. LowBar-Squat: 1x1-5
  2. LowBar-Squat B.Offs: 5x2-6 (+1 Reps/-10% of 1.)
  3. Pause-Squats: 2x6 (2s Pause)
  4. Stiff.DeficitDeads: 2x5-8
  5. AssistanceWork: HamCurls/GHR:s & Calfs: 2-6 sets

Tues-Shoulders/Back (Heavy)

1. MilitaryPress: 2x2-5
  2. MilitaryPress B.Offs: 5x3-6 (+1 Reps/-10% of 1.)
  3. Dumbell.OHP: 2x6-10
  4. AssistanceWork: Laterals & Chins/Pullups: 2-6 sets

Wed-FrontSquats/Hams & Calfs (Volyme)

1. Front-Squats: 5x5-8
  2. Front-Squat B.Offs: 3:s (Ramp to Daily 2/3-TM, 5% Jumps)
  3. AssistanceWork: HackSquats & Abs/Core-Work: 2-6 sets

Thurs-CG.Bench/Triceps (Volyme)

1. CG-BenchPress: 5x5-8 (Thumb From Marks) (With Band)
  2. CG-Bench B.Offs: 3:s (Ramp to Daily 2/3-TM, 5% Jumps) (With Band)
  3. AssistanceWork: Dips/Extensions & Rows: 2-6 sets

Fri-Pulls (Heavy)

1. SumoDeads: 1x1-5
  2. "3 BlockPulls B.Offs: 2x2-6 (+1 Reps @110% of 1.)
  3. Conv.Deads: 2x6

Sat-Rest & Recovery/MobilityWork

Sun-BenchPress/Chest & Back (Heavy)

1. Pause-BenchPress: 2x2-5
  2. TnG B.Offs: 5x3-6 (+1 Reps/-10% of 1.)
  3. Dumbell.IncllinePress: 2x6-10
  4. AssistanceWork: H.HighPulls & Rows: 2-6 sets

When i hit the Repranges ill increase the weight with 2.5/5 kg next week.
Example Week 1-5 for Squats
W1. 5x140
W2. 5x145
W3. 3x150
W4. 5x150
W5. 2x155

[quote]El Svajn wrote:
Been Reading alot of Dan The Boss Greens stuff lately, and wrote down a split kinda like the one he describes in hos articles and in some podcasts hope you like it :slight_smile:

Mon-Squats/Hams & Calfs (Heavy)

1. LowBar-Squat: 1x1-5
  2. LowBar-Squat B.Offs: 5x2-6 (+1 Reps/-10% of 1.)
  3. Pause-Squats: 2x6 (2s Pause)

Tues-Shoulders/Back (Heavy)

1. MilitaryPress: 2x2-5
  2. MilitaryPress B.Offs: 5x3-6 (+1 Reps/-10% of 1.)
  3. Dumbell.OHP: 2x6-10
  4. AssistanceWork: Laterals & Chins/Pullups: 2-6 sets

Wed-FrontSquats/Hams & Calfs (Volyme)

1. Front-Squats: 5x5-8
  2. Front-Squat B.Offs: 3:s (Ramp to Daily 2/3-TM, 5% Jumps)
  3. AssistanceWork: HackSquats & Abs/Core-Work: 2-6 sets

Thurs-CG.Bench/Triceps (Volyme)

1. CG-BenchPress: 5x5-8 (Thumb From Marks) (With Band)
  2. CG-Bench B.Offs: 3:s (Ramp to Daily 2/3-TM, 5% Jumps) (With Band)
  3. AssistanceWork: Dips/Extensions & Rows: 2-6 sets

Fri-Pulls (Heavy)

1. SumoDeads: 1x1-5
  2. "3 BlockPulls B.Offs: 2x2-6 (+1 Reps @110% of 1.)
  3. Conv.Deads: 2x6

Sat-Rest & Recovery/MobilityWork

Sun-BenchPress/Chest & Back (Heavy)

1. Pause-BenchPress: 2x2-5
  2. TnG B.Offs: 5x3-6 (+1 Reps/-10% of 1.)
  3. Dumbell.IncllinePress: 2x6-10
  4. AssistanceWork: H.HighPulls & Rows: 2-6 sets

When i hit the Repranges ill increase the weight with 2.5/5 kg next week.
Example Week 1-5 for Squats
W1. 5x140
W2. 5x145
W3. 3x150
W4. 5x150
W5. 2x155
[/quote]

Great post man. I will have to go over it with a fine toothed comb for my own understanding later.

I don’t have time to reverse engineer his programming. It is too “all over the place” on the web and seems to change quite often based on the goal of the upcoming competition.

Here are some other programs I have heard Dan Green talk about using in the past. These are taken from forums, youtube comments, seminars, articles, etc…

You can see a common theme.

M–Squats
T–Shoulders
W–front squats
TH–triceps/CG bench
F–Deadlifts
Sa–rest
Su–Bench/chest

Day 1 - Squats, Pause Squats, Stiff Legs
Day 2 - Press and Dumbell Rows
Day 3 - Front Squats and Stiff Legs
Day 4 - Bench, touch and go bench, dips
Day 5 - Deads, block deads and deficits
Day 6 - Touch and go bench, close grips, chest supported rows

Sure… right now I’m going 6x per week:

M – squats and deads
T – bench
W – front squats
Th – bench
F – deads
Sa – rest
Su – bench

Every day is heavy but usually not maximal

It would be kinda involved to spell out everything in this thread, but the basic idea is to start light and aim to hit tops sets of reps just a little heavier each workout. very basic linear loading. This was just kind of a stalling pattern so I could train lighter for a month before going back to real training. Most of the lifts are done for 5-8 reps tho if that helps. In the future I will lay out a couple of programs and how to follow them tho.

Monday: Back squats, low and high bar
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Front Squats
Thursday: Military press, dumbbell press â?? a bodybuilder style day for arms
Friday: Deadlifts, block pulls and deficits with very few pulls off the floor
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Bench Press, pause bench, touch and go, speed bench, wide and close grip

My basic split is:

M: squat no belt, paused squats (closer stance/high bar), stiff leg deads
T: DB bench, DB flyes, DB rows
W: front squats
TH: rest
F: conv. deads, deficit deads, stiff leg deads
SA: rest
SU: Paused bench, touch and go bench, DB laterals

M: Squat
T: Upper body or bench
W: Squatting again (front squat)
TH: Upper body or bench
F: Deadlift
Sa: Off
SU: Benching again

Workouts are always paused benches followed by repetition bench. I call it speed, but really the percentages are around 10% lighter than my paused benching for the day. Itâ??s sort of speed, but itâ??s really more volume. This is like 5 sets of 5 or 6 sets of 4.

Squat first with a wide stance, but only as long as you can do it with a good technique without turning your squats into goodmornings. Then I will focus on squatting with a pause or with a full drop, high bar, front squats. Two to three sets at a competition stance at a top weight. Then everything else is going to be closer stance, front squat, back squats.

Deadlifting is kind of the same thing. Pull off the floor for a set, maybe two. Everything else will be pull off of blocks to build up hip strength, or pulling from a deficit to build up overall pulling muscle, quads, hams, back. Stiff legs are most basic lift for building back.

Front squat for quads, Stiff legs for back.

His typical progression at one point in time went…Warm up to 1-5 rep max. Then drop to weight for 6-10 reps. Do 3 more sets, followed by one more in th 10+ range.

I know this is all very nonspecific, but I am not a client of his, and not much of his training is leaked out on the web.

I know he does a lot of BB work at times as well. We covered a bit of it a few pages ago.

When I get more time, I will probably make a full effort to figure out his style more.

I guess we can see that Saturday is always an off day, and that he likes to deadlift on Friday haha.

Great post though. It went straight into my personal file of programs on my computer.

Yeah there a pretty similar, ive read all those posts to, but the big thing with Dan if you ask me is hes OFF/ON-Season Training. Not many powerlifters that compete every year have pretty long periods with like no LowBar-Squatting and SumoDeads (If thats youre Comp.Stance) etc.
And some other things ive heard him say is that he dosent do much assistancework anymore, But for a couple of years ago he did like rows/chins ever workout so even if hes program sucked he build up som really strong areas. And he always think the big 3 (And close variation of them) is the best way to go. But for smaller/newer liftersputtin on some decent mass is a most.

i know he said in a couple of podacasts and interveiws that benchin is the best AssistanceExercise for benching, och squatting is the best complement for squatting. He´s also a big believer in frontsquats and over all BB-trainign like HackSquats to build up huge Quads.

With the split if think hes basic splitt is like 5 times/Week, but in periods (atleast for a year ago or so) he went up for like 6 times/week.
becouse of the fact that i love to train, 6 times/week sounds better :slight_smile:

and btw sorry for my poor english, my only excuse is that im from sweden :wink:

[quote]El Svajn wrote:
Yeah there a pretty similar, ive read all those posts to, but the big thing with Dan if you ask me is hes OFF/ON-Season Training. Not many powerlifters that compete every year have pretty long periods with like no LowBar-Squatting and SumoDeads (If thats youre Comp.Stance) etc.
And some other things ive heard him say is that he dosent do much assistancework anymore, But for a couple of years ago he did like rows/chins ever workout so even if hes program sucked he build up som really strong areas. And he always think the big 3 (And close variation of them) is the best way to go. But for smaller/newer liftersputtin on some decent mass is a most.

i know he said in a couple of podacasts and interveiws that benchin is the best AssistanceExercise for benching, och squatting is the best complement for squatting. He´s also a big believer in frontsquats and over all BB-trainign like HackSquats to build up huge Quads.

With the split if think hes basic splitt is like 5 times/Week, but in periods (atleast for a year ago or so) he went up for like 6 times/week.
becouse of the fact that i love to train, 6 times/week sounds better :slight_smile:

and btw sorry for my poor english, my only excuse is that im from sweden :wink: [/quote]

Thanks for contributing man. I am thankful for the detailed programming that you put up. I am especially impressed that you were able to get rep ranges in there.

np man, Glad to help! Tbh everything isnt exactly as Dan layed it out, but pretty much, i guess every program need some self adjustment etc. But the one thing i really like about Dans training is the high volyme, Very high intensity och pretty high freqvency, and he dosnt doing a ton of assistancework. (He recomends for smaller/begginer Athletes to do more assistance/BB-Work tho)

when it comes to dan i really like the fact that he always tries to help ppl and never gets short on his answers and he dosnt keep secrets. He also have a awesome tread on animals forums there he answer questions about almost everything.

Great thread :slight_smile:

Doug Young’s routine.

According to a lot of sources, Doug Young would run three 4 week cycles for his bench. For the first four weeks, he would bench 4x6, AMRAP on the last set. For every rep above 6, he would add 5 pounds - for every rep under 6, he would remove 5 pounds. In this way it was almost autoregulating each session. For the second four weeks, he would alternate 4x6 and 5x3, AMRAP on the last set for both as before and adjusting accordingly. Finally the last four weeks he would do 5x3, AMRAP on the last set.

There are other variations where does triples, doubles, and singles in higher quantities and with different grips as well. Young tended to do a lot of bodybuilding movements as accessory work - 6x6 seems to be pretty common, though he preferred higher reps for lat raises and similar.

Young would bench 2-3x a week but would only supposedly squat once every 7-10 days and deadlift every 12-15 days, mostly just for singles. Some programs had him doing each once a week for 5-4-3-2-1, with the FIRST set being an AMRAP set and adding/removing 10 pounds per rep as above. He would then cycle down to triples, and then doubles.

Young competed primarily in the under-242 class.

Squat: 722.
Bench: 612.
Deadlift: 738.
Total: 2017.