GPP Advice

If I were to do as many rounds as possible in 10 minutes of:
5 pull ups
10 push ups
20 squats

Would that be an okay form of GPP? I’m looking for stuff I can do at the gym.

Im betting it would make you better at push ups pull ups and squats. When I think of GPP I think more real life stuff, dragging things carrying things, climbing things, jumping on and over things swinging things etc etc. but yes it aint going to hurt for sure.

Heres one you can do at the gym. Go to the weight tree find the machine or station furthest away and spend 30-45 mins loading and then unloading all the plates onto and off of it :slight_smile: LOL shitty but it will work.

Here is an idea.

get about $70 go buy a keg of beer.

Invite buddies and girls over to drink beer.

When keg is empty, pick it up and throw it, run to it, pick it up again and throw it. Do this for a long time or 20 minutes.

If your not 21 you can find a nice rock to pick up and throw, but you won’t have anything for your friends to drink or any hot chicks.

yardwork

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Here is an idea.

get about $70 go buy a keg of beer.

Invite buddies and girls over to drink beer.

When keg is empty, pick it up and throw it, run to it, pick it up again and throw it. Do this for a long time or 20 minutes.

If your not 21 you can find a nice rock to pick up and throw, but you won’t have anything for your friends to drink or any hot chicks.[/quote]

Definitly works better if you’re 21.

Or if you’re buddies are 21 and can buy it for you. Just make sure you don’t start tossing the keg until you sober up…man I got some terrible stories about that.

[quote]bluestreets wrote:
5 pull ups
10 push ups
20 squats

Would that be an okay form of GPP? I’m looking for stuff I can do at the gym.[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=190fat2

Look at “Day 2” from above article. There are a few other things in this article to keep you going as well.

Well…My advice would be to read the article posted by Dan John yesterday. GPP for what? It is a short form for “General Physical Prepardness”. So, what are you trying to get generally physically prepared for? Any specific athletic events? Just looking to get into better “shape”? I know it may seem like I am splitting hairs, but what constitutes GPP for a sprinter is different than what constitutes GPP for a powerlifter. Catch what I am throwing?

Cheers,
Pat

5 pull ups
10 push ups
20 squats

Would that be an okay form of GPP? I’m looking for stuff I can do at the gym.[/quote]

[quote]Tags wrote:
Well…My advice would be to read the article posted by Dan John yesterday. GPP for what? It is a short form for “General Physical Prepardness”. So, what are you trying to get generally physically prepared for? Any specific athletic events? Just looking to get into better “shape”? I know it may seem like I am splitting hairs, but what constitutes GPP for a sprinter is different than what constitutes GPP for a powerlifter. Catch what I am throwing?
[/quote]
another good thing to check out is double tap #14 with Dave Tate (T-Nation radio). Once again its all semantics. So if your regular workouts are heavy and slow, the metabolic conditioning circuit you layed out would probably be good GPP. IMHO the GPP that most people need most is flexibility.

5 pull ups
10 push ups
20 squats

great idea

you can also do burpees and tabata intervals

[quote]kmanley wrote:
Tags wrote:

another good thing to check out is double tap #14 with Dave Tate (T-Nation radio). Once again its all semantics. So if your regular workouts are heavy and slow, the metabolic conditioning circuit you layed out would probably be good GPP. IMHO the GPP that most people need most is flexibility.

[/quote]

Good points (must be an ontario thing; Kidding) I like how Dave outlines the indicator process; I.E. If you are looking to just get huge, you may only need an aerobic capacity of 2 out of 10, where you may need strength at 8-9 out of 10. Helps you catagorize things and put it into perspective easily.

I also second the flexibilty/soft tissue work thought from previous experience.

Cheers

Thanks guys for all the responses. To be more specific, I was planning on doing Christian Thibaudeau’s Renaissance Body Development routine. The workout calls for GPP at the last part. Since I don’t have access to truck tires, sleds or sandbads (plus I’d like to do my GPP in the gym if I could) I was hoping something like I proposed would work.

I liked the look of that routine because I could continue lifting but I would get to focus on my conditioning, which I lack sorely, as well. Plus the agility training is great for me too. I don’t have any sport I’m training for, I’m just working on getting in better shape.