Gluten-Free Diet

Gonna try this for a week

I just found out that I have an allergy to wheat, and am already trying to stay gluten free. Are there any pasta’s or breads out there that I could fit in?

I am not having problems finding great food, and love the results both energy and health-wise, but it would be nice to have a sandwich or some pasta once a week. Any thoughts?

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
I just found out that I have an allergy to wheat, and am already trying to stay gluten free. Are there any pasta’s or breads out there that I could fit in?

I am not having problems finding great food, and love the results both energy and health-wise, but it would be nice to have a sandwich or some pasta once a week. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Where do you live? I’m in the mid-west, which has a major grocery chain called Cub Foods. They have a natural/organic section that carries gluten free pastas, cookies, bake mixes, etc. Or honestly just any health food store should have plenty of products for you to choose between. I still bake cookies and blondies all the time and they taste just as good to me. Don’t miss the wheat one bit (except for pizza).

As far as the sandwiches…millet bread. I know Food For Life makes one…and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Normally I loathe gluten free bread…but I’m telling you, it’s the bees knees.

Sounds great, I’ll check all of those out. I have a Whole Foods right near me and was told that they have similar sections that are gluten free so that is where I will be heading. Thanks.

i think i’m sensitive to gluten too. no formal tests yet to back that up, but if i eat normal bread i get the shits. pizza makes me comatose, as do most other prepared foods. even cereal will put me to sleep and give me the shits.

wheat i cut out a while ago, and just cut out oats this week. oats have been replaced with buckwheat (no gluten!).

bragg liquid aminos taste just like soy sauce, but they’re gluten free.

i also plan out my daily diet on an excel spreadsheet… it’s a good practice i think.

a typical high carb day for me is:

2 banannas
8 oz buckwheat
20 fl oz OJ
4 oz raisins
10 oz chicken breast
50 fl oz whole milk
16 oz red potato
12 oz stonyfield whole milk yogurt

this is hard! especially at work haha

but im gonna finish my week, cant wuss out

Heres a link for some organic grains, a bunch that are gluten free. Quinoa, millet, rice, wild rice (which is not even rice) amaranth, sorghum, etc.

has anyone with gluten sensitivity taken Metabolic Drive? good or bad results?

still trying to navigate this diet thing. i’ve eliminated gluten, now i’m thinking of cutting out dairy as well, just to see if there is even more improvement.

also, i found this from a website in another thread:

[quote]So what about grains? While the celiac recovery plan continues to steer clear of any of the gluten-containing varieties, rice can be introduced not only as a substitute, but as a healing food. It is interesting to note that in traditional Chinese medicine very dilute, long-cooked broths of rice and water (called congee or jook) make up an entire class of healing foods for numerous disease conditions.

Rice is cooked in up to nine times as much water in a slow-cooker for eight or nine hours, sometimes with added medicinal herbs, until the rice grains have dissolved completely and the broth thickens. Eggs, meat or vegetables are poached in this broth and served as a healing, very easily digested and tasty meal. It is highly recommended for convalescents, the very old and the very young. [/quote]

i’m thinking of tossing some mint and ginger into such a broth, as those are both supposedly good for your stomach (at least that’s what mom always said). gotta be a good carb source too.

I was wondering the same thing about Metabolic Drive, as well as if the other supplements sold here are gluten free, because if so I would jump on them instantly.

If you are looking for something right now, I currently use Isoflex, a whey isolate protein shake that is gluten free and aspartame free and I love it. I have seen great results and the taste is perfect.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing about Metabolic Drive, as well as if the other supplements sold here are gluten free, because if so I would jump on them instantly.

If you are looking for something right now, I currently use Isoflex, a whey isolate protein shake that is gluten free and aspartame free and I love it. I have seen great results and the taste is perfect.[/quote]

ahh thanks. i didn’t realize whey isolate can also be lactose free as well as gluten free. i will have to pick some up soon.

[quote]grettiron wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:

If you are looking for something right now, I currently use Isoflex, a whey isolate protein shake that is gluten free and aspartame free and I love it. I have seen great results and the taste is perfect.

ahh thanks. i didn’t realize whey isolate can also be lactose free as well as gluten free. i will have to pick some up soon.[/quote]

That would be handy to have around!

I double checked the ingredients on my MD, and in bold print it says CONTAINS: WHEAT…
So it’s definitely out for me!
Otherwise I would have never bothered looking…