Gluten-Free Diet

Is anyone on a gluten-free diet right now?

I know a bit about which foods have gluten in them (and plan to read more about it) but wasn’t sure if anyone was on one and could share.

I know the anabolic diet is one, but my cholesterol is too high right now (sad huh? at 26 yo) to go on that again.

With some recent developments in my blood work and talking with some other medical people the thought that I have celiac disease has came up. Now, it’s nothing bad or crazy but something I’d like to think about addressing. Here is a definition of celiac disease:

“Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley. Gluten is found mainly in foods but may also be found in everyday products such as medicines, vitamins, and lip balms.”
More here: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/

So basically I have some abdominal pains, tons of farting shit inconsistent shits. The part that really bugs me isn’t any of those, it’s that (if I have it) I’m unable to properly digest food. Making my body a very inefficient machine.

Wow this thread is too long. Sorry.

The end.

I have celiac disease…PM me I will be glad to help

Both my mum and my training partner has coeliacs. And cos there’s a genetic component to it, I may do in the future. TBH, the only problem with a gluten free diet is eating out. It’s impossible to tell whether you’re getting gluten-ated food or not. I’ve pretty much been on a gluten free diet for the majority of the time I’ve been at home and it’s not so bad. Bit of a pain.

So what, you can’t eat traditional pasta, bread and huge quantities of oats. And no processed foods. But all meat is a yes, eggs and oils, nuts yes, milk yes, rice yes, legumes yes and most supplements yes. I’ve often thought that if everyone went gluten-free the world would be a lot slimmer.

It’s annoying definitely but definitely compatible with bodybuilding. Do you get really easily fatigued? Lose weight really easily? Feel like shit after meals? The typical age for coeliacs appearing is mid 40s, but usually the person has had coeliacs for much much longer, but they’ve just been asymptomatic.

[quote]Jrocco wrote:
I have celiac disease…PM me I will be glad to help[/quote]

Done.

[quote]pete1989 wrote:
Both my mum and my training partner has coeliacs. And cos there’s a genetic component to it, I may do in the future. TBH, the only problem with a gluten free diet is eating out. It’s impossible to tell whether you’re getting gluten-ated food or not. I’ve pretty much been on a gluten free diet for the majority of the time I’ve been at home and it’s not so bad. Bit of a pain.

So what, you can’t eat traditional pasta, bread and huge quantities of oats. And no processed foods. But all meat is a yes, eggs and oils, nuts yes, milk yes, rice yes, legumes yes and most supplements yes. I’ve often thought that if everyone went gluten-free the world would be a lot slimmer.

It’s annoying definitely but definitely compatible with bodybuilding. Do you get really easily fatigued? Lose weight really easily? Feel like shit after meals? The typical age for coeliacs appearing is mid 40s, but usually the person has had coeliacs for much much longer, but they’ve just been asymptomatic. [/quote]

Thanks for the list man, I appreciate it.

I wouldn’t say I get fatigued very easily. I get through a 1-2hr workout and feel alright after; nothing crazy. I’ve been trying to bulk for the past 2-3yrs so I don’t know about losing weight…probably could lose fast. I don’t FEEL like shit after meals, but I do shit OFTEN. And I’m only 26. But in the past 2-3yrs of bulking I’m eaeting TONS AND TONS of carbs…

My son is on this diet and is feeling much better. I have strated eating this diet a little bit as well and agree that this diet would be better for most of us since most people do not digest gluten that well.

Also 2 weeks ago, the colorado rockies became the first mlb team to offer a complete gluten free concession stand. You can actually buy gluten free beer, cookies, pretzels, burgers and hot dogs at Coors field now.

Jrocco- what is a sample diet like for you?

Thanks.

Did you get a blood test done? I am pretty confident I have celiacs as well, I just haven’t made it in to get tested yet. I have the similar issues as you though, along with the ever so lovely steatorrhea.

But to answer your question, here are some foods that are not celiac friendly.
NOT pre-packaged lunch meats
gum
most oatmeal
almost all chinese sauces
Most sauces in general
Vanilla extract

I think that is most of the tricky ones…

I am. It’s annoying as hell at first and you’ll make plenty of missteps, but once you get over the adjustment period it’s pretty easy. I find that I also eat way healthier in general now that I don’t have the temptation to eat all the bready crap that passes for food. You’ll likely need to improve your cooking skills and broaden your tastes if you’re accustomed to eating mostly western european style food, but this again is quite rewarding both in terms of nutrition and in taste experience.

One thing to keep in mind with the testing side is that the blood tests are still not entirely reliable. One of the best ways to test (not for celiacs specifically, but for food intolerance in general) is to eliminate the suspect substance entirely for a several weeks, reintroduce it, and see what happens.

A vaccine is in the works for it.

Here’s a really interesting article about celiac/leaky gut:

My wife has celiacs, which means that I am basically on a gluten free diet too. It does take a bit of getting used to not being able to eat any type of grains, eating out like the above poster said is pretty much out of the question. There are however, a lot of gluten-free alternatives to your favorite foods. They are much more expensive but taste a lot better too, there is gluten free bread, pancake mix, etc. You will mostly find them at health food stores such as Trader Joes and Whole Foods. It will take you about a month to get used to it and you’re going to have cravings real bad until one day you just are over it.

I recommend reading “The Paleo Diet” and “Dangerous Grains”. I would advise everybody to try out a gluten free diet for at least a few months out of their lives, even though most people do not have celiacs disease, a LOT of people are gluten sensitive and so they have digestive problems and feel semi-shitty. They might feel a lot better trying this diet even though it is challenging at first.

Hey, thanks for posting this thread!

I learned not too long ago that I had a gluten intolerance when I was younger, that I “grew out of.” Now as an adult I have thyroid issues that I believe are connected to the whole gluten thing…

I willingly gave it up to see if it will improve my thyroid tests…which weren’t too far out of whack to begin with…

As of now I am only avoiding the obvious culprits…but going completely gluten free means you have to know labels!! Its in EVERYTHING! Even toothpaste I think…

Im thinking of bugging my docs for the official test, but it sounds like a pain.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

For those of you ON A GLUTEN FREE DIET, could you post what a typical day in your diet is like?

I did the worlds fastest food shopping last night and picked up some pasta, bread and ginger snaps that are all gluten free.

I’d like to map out a gluten free diet this week to start next week.

Wow, where do YOU shop? :stuck_out_tongue:

There are a ton of websites out there to get you started…avoiding gluten is a lot more than just avoiding bread and pasta…

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/DG00063

There’s also a lot of books that are good reads(dangerous grains, healthier without wheat)
For right now, I have just been eating whole foods, nothing processed. I made cookies yesterday with buckwheat flour!

Its pretty much everything you were already eating, minus the starchy carbs…and you have to inspect labels for hidden forms of gluten…But why wait til next week?

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Wow, where do YOU shop? :stuck_out_tongue:

There are a ton of websites out there to get you started…avoiding gluten is a lot more than just avoiding bread and pasta…

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/DG00063

There’s also a lot of books that are good reads(dangerous grains, healthier without wheat)
For right now, I have just been eating whole foods, nothing processed. I made cookies yesterday with buckwheat flour!

Its pretty much everything you were already eating, minus the starchy carbs…and you have to inspect labels for hidden forms of gluten…But why wait til next week?

[/quote]

I just had some of these ginger snaps made with brown rice, wow…GO good!

Well i’m starting to look at more thing that are gluten free. I’m cutting back on about 50+% of the stuff that has gluten. Next week should be 90-100% gluten free.

the way i do things with my diets is to plan it out on my excel sheet ahead of time and then implement it.

Get some cookbooks from parts of the world where wheat is traditionally non-existent and start with that. You’ll get an idea of some of the more common building blocks you can work with pretty quick. This means like Southeast Asia (Thai and Indonesian are a good start) along with Mexico and South America as places to look first. I suggest starting with these types of food because you can do whole menus of traditional food without having to make omissions or substitutions to start with.

I can’t have gluten either, but I find it very easy to make my diet manageable. In fact, I was already eating a gluten free diet before I even knew I HAD too. I just focus on these foods for carbs:

Quinoa
Oats (the GF kind…because there’s possible cross contamination with the regular kind)
Veggies
Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes/Yams
Fruits
Brown Rice
Legumes

Notice that these are basic bodybuilding staples to begin with. No loss by going gluten free.

I had a question for you B rock…

If your doctors are thinking you possibly have celiacs, are they going to do any formal testing for it? Because in all the reading Ive been doing, you have to eat gluten for it to show up on the test…

My wife has celiacs, so I eat gluten-free most of the time. If you are trying to cut out ALL gluten, then be wary of certain ingredients. Caramel color is one that is found in a lot of sauces (BBQ, etc.) and, obviously, sodas. Soy sauce is another, although Tamari is ok.

As for restaurants, most will accommodate specific requests to make something gluten-free now. Since it’s gotten a lot more press lately, most servers don’t give you a blank stare anymore when you ask them about it. They now know what it is. Also, I know Outback Steak House and PF Changs have GF menus.