Given Up On Calves

[quote]llostintheworld wrote:
I never seen a basketball player with small calves .[/quote]
then u never seen any basketballer,i rarely see a bballer with good calves,only NBAs elite but thats like 0.01% of players.

i cant imagine how high the volume and frequency will have to be to get great calves w/o isolation. unless you are training for a sport, i dont think you will keep it up. i do farmers walks and sled drags and box jumps and i dont feel it in my calves.
what feels good for the calves is extending a set past failure on calf raises, maybe finish with a ten second hold in the stretched position, and calf raises done on a board, not a calf block so there is no stretch

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
While I get a lot of comments on my calves now, they didn’t really come into their own until about 5-6 years ago. Some people view this as a success, but to me, it also means that I spent 13 years being unable to figure out what to do in order to get those bastids growin’!

What I did (in case any of this sounds applicable):
-Split my gastroc and soleus into 2 seperate workouts
-Started using straight leg calf machines or leg sleds as I was always limited by the standing calf machine because it felt awkward and crushed my traps once I piled a lotta weight on
-Focused on the different fiber types of the two different muscle groups, low rep for gastroc, high rep for solei
-Did the higher rep work after legs as I knew I’d already be tired, but did the low rep (heavy weight) work after upper body (chest) so there would be no reason for not absolutely killing it

-Looked for any opportunity to stretch my calves, usually while walking my dog, if we stopped for some serious sniffing, I’d stand on the curb and stretch the entire time until we moved on.
-No bouncing, I don’t care how much weight you think you’re moving and how it will overload your muscles.
-Slow negatives, Explosive positives and a damn hard squeeze at the top or every rep
-Even with the low rep/heavy weight work, I’d always do a drop (usually a 5x time) for my last set to really push some blood in there and stretch everything out (not sure if I fully buy inot FST7 training, but an ocassional pump set does have its place in my book)

Certainly not the ultimate article on calf training, but maybe a tip or two may strike a chord the next time you’re pounding away.

S[/quote]

Weel fine Stuart

I’m just gonna take my FST7ing ass into my bathroom and cry in the tub while I listen to Garbage

You happy now?

Haha

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
Sarev0k, how much weight did you gain over this period? And were you in a different mode (bulk/cut/maintain) during the time you gained the .5"? [/quote]

Bulk Bulk Bulk. I never expected to grow my calves on a caloric deficit. the highest i got my calves was 16.5 and i was 252 lbs @ like 17 % bodyfat AKA a fatty powerlifter.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Weel fine Stuart

I’m just gonna take my FST7ing ass into my bathroom and cry in the tub while I listen to Garbage

You happy now?

Haha[/quote]

I’ll be happy when I can eat again after my contest -lol. Seriously, I understand the theory behind FST7, it’s essentially a the same rationale as ye ol’ pump sets that have been around forever. Hany Rambod just made it a gimmick, and was smart enough to have Jay and Phil praise it. Nothing wrong with being clever :slight_smile:

S

well coach Charles Poliquin has good ideas for calves . you should train dorsiflexion too with a machine . . maybe running in the mountains is good the downhill part . . because calves react to negative work much.

As I said I’ve trained calves 3-4 times/week for 3 months, and am still training them heavyly 1-2 times/week.

3 days ago, I went running for 25 minutes (and for the fist time of my life :wink:

Today, DOM is still incredible in my calves !!!

Mathieu