Getting to a 400 lb. Deadlift

I dont like threads like this. Making a 400lb Dead seem like some sort of special feat. My training partners 14 year old little brother can pull 400lb at 175lb. I am not joking at all.

Aim for something reasonable people, min 500lb. I weigh in at 198 for competition and I pulled 508 for 11. Up your standards people.

After a long talk with my training partner we came up with this:

Strong for an average person
200lb+ OH Press
300lb+ Bench
400lb+ Squat
500lb+ Dead

Strong for an Athelete
240lb+ OH Press
350lb+ Bench
500lb+ Squat
600lb+ Dead

Strong for a Strength Athelete
300lb+ OH Press
400lb+ Bench
660lb+ Squat
700lb+ Dead

I know most of you will look at this and go “no its too high”, give yourself some credit and hit it.

I also know most of you wont care what I just wrote.

Peace

[quote]lytw8 wrote:

Peace[/quote]

qft

My 28 year old friend pulled a pr 370 yesterday. He never trained until last April and started with a 210 pull. He’s not a great strength athlete but he’s making gains.

Since I moved february of this year and switched gyms, I’ve seen maybe one guy going above 400 pounds and he looked thick as hell. Most men in my gym are doing significantly less than 300 pounds for reps. I also saw a woman doing 220 or so for two reps. Myself, I do not deadlift but do rows (with very liberal form) with weight above of 350 pounds which draws looks, I think. Powerlifting competitions are regularly held in my gym, if that matters.

In the words of Tim Henriques and his strength chart, just about nobody is going to hit 400 (OK, 405) “without significant formal training”.

[quote]lytw8 wrote:
I dont like threads like this. Making a 400lb Dead seem like some sort of special feat. My training partners 14 year old little brother can pull 400lb at 175lb. I am not joking at all.

Aim for something reasonable people, min 500lb. I weigh in at 198 for competition and I pulled 508 for 11. Up your standards people.

After a long talk with my training partner we came up with this:

Strong for an average person
200lb+ OH Press
300lb+ Bench
400lb+ Squat
500lb+ Dead

Strong for an Athelete
240lb+ OH Press
350lb+ Bench
500lb+ Squat
600lb+ Dead

Strong for a Strength Athelete
300lb+ OH Press
400lb+ Bench
660lb+ Squat
700lb+ Dead

I know most of you will look at this and go “no its too high”, give yourself some credit and hit it.

Peace[/quote]
Yeah. It’s high. What is the distinction between an athlete and a regular person anyway? Playing soccer, floorball or boxing is not going to make anyone much stronger in the gym. I think most NHL players could not jerk 240 pounds overhead, let alone press it without leg drive.

That said, I do think that the squat and deadlift numbers are far more attainable than the press numbers for most people. And that for many people, the gap between bench and overhead press will be more than 100 pounds or alternatively their bench will not be more than 50 pounds higher. The reason people justify comparing a 300 pound bench to a 400 pound squat is likely because the level of competition in bench is so very high due to its popularity, which perverts natural order. I think a more natural comparison would be 250/400 but of course that’s just my opinion as well.

To push:
I got the exact words wrong but the meaning remains the same. Strength Standards: Are You Strong?

I don’t care what people weigh; only their height matters because that determines how much work they are doing. A short person doing a sumo demonstrates little more than grip strength.

Squatting is bad enough for my back. I don’t want to feel like 60 at 30.

People who can dead 500 very quickly have good retard strength. An intellectual, nerdy type is going to have to work for his 400. You need to be really stupid to get to 600 fast, and can audition for a horror film’s antagonist.

[quote]Alffi wrote:
To push:
I got the exact words wrong but the meaning remains the same. Strength Standards: Are You Strong?

I don’t care what people weigh; only their height matters because that determines how much work they are doing. A short person doing a sumo demonstrates little more than grip strength.

Squatting is bad enough for my back. I don’t want to feel like 60 at 30.

People who can dead 500 very quickly have good retard strength. An intellectual, nerdy type is going to have to work for his 400. You need to be really stupid to get to 600 fast, and can audition for a horror film’s antagonist.[/quote]

I remember when you were just supposedly a genius with aspergers that couldn’t filter the offensive/insulting things you said, and then you slowly transformed into just a run of the mill troll. Real creative thesis you have up there, intelligence inversely correlated to physical strength!

[quote]Alffi wrote:

I don’t care what people weigh; only their height matters because that determines how much work they are doing. [/quote]

Force is part of that equation too, champ

[quote]
A short person doing a sumo demonstrates little more than grip strength. [/quote]

Only if their arms naturally hang around mid-shin

Did this just happen? Morpheus, come get me out of the Matrix!

[quote]deputydawg wrote:

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
In my humble opinion deadlifting from the ground using 45 pound plates or larger diameter is a joke.

If you want to seriously deadlift 400 pounds, stand on a box or use smaller diameter weight so the bar starts at your feet, instead of at your knees. [/quote]

How short are you?[/quote]

i agree, i deadlift with 45s from the ground and the bar is not even halfway up my shin.

I started deadlifting again this year after 2 years off from a torn MCL and crack/compressed discs in my back and within 4 months of training im back at lifting 405, and adding weight weekly.

400lbs is considered “whoa dude!” in commercial gyms.

People in real gyms will look if its on your back.

People will gawp if its on your delts in a front squat.

lol retarded

LOL who bumped this thread? It’s really not hard to deadlift 400lbs if you train for a while.

I trained for three years before implementing deadlifting, and got to 415 in a reasonable six months time or so on the HPMASS program, I was 6ft 187 pounds at the time, nothing real jaw dropping for any serious training person… Now a 500 pd dead I would consider pretty impressive even for serious trainees…

Of course to those that just go and tone themselves with trainer prescribed programs it looks insane, I would always have people in awe because I was not a very large person but I still could pull of the heavier lifts… Though to really go the next step you can’t stay at a lightweight.

Anyways I have no idea why this thread was bumped like the above poster mentioned haha

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
I trained for three years before implementing deadlifting, and got to 415 in a reasonable six months time or so on the HPMASS program, I was 6ft 187 pounds at the time, nothing real jaw dropping for any serious training person… Now a 500 pd dead I would consider pretty impressive even for serious trainees…

Of course to those that just go and tone themselves with trainer prescribed programs it looks insane, I would always have people in awe because I was not a very large person but I still could pull of the heavier lifts… Though to really go the next step you can’t stay at a lightweight.

Anyways I have no idea why this thread was bumped like the above poster mentioned haha [/quote]
That Canuck guy bumped it and responded to a 6 year old post…

lol I don’t even know how people can go through and find threads that old… that has to be at least like 70 pages back

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
lol I don’t even know how people can go through and find threads that old… that has to be at least like 70 pages back [/quote]
He was probably doing a search and didn’t pay attention to the dates. A hypothesis re-enforced by his join date and post count as well as the absurdity that is digging through six years worth of threads and the likelihood of singling out this one for one of his first two posts.

Actually considerably less absurd given that the last post prior is a year and a half old but you get you my point.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
lol I don’t even know how people can go through and find threads that old… that has to be at least like 70 pages back [/quote]
He was probably doing a search and didn’t pay attention to the dates. A hypothesis re-enforced by his join date and post count as well as the absurdity that is digging through six years worth of threads and the likelihood of singling out this one for one of his first two posts.

Actually considerably less absurd given that the last post prior is a year and a half old but you get you my point.[/quote]

Haha yeah I got it, I think I may have done similar a while back…