Getting to a 400 lb. Deadlift

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

I mean straps from the floor are an insult to jesus himself, but hey, who am I to judge ;)[/quote]

God damn I almost choked on my protein shake.

Hey hey can I play with the big boys. I’ll join the push for 600. I’m at 475 planning on going for either 485 or just saying fuck it and going for 5 plates next week. Bodyweight is 193.

I deadlifted 405x1 when i was 19… i weighed between 210 and 220 tho.
currently working my way back up to those numbers. I took a looong hiatus.

I’m surprised nobody’s posted in here for a month, especially given all the new posters I’ve seen in that time span.

I’m running 531 just so I have a progression model to follow. I tested myself for a 1RM a month ago and hit 335, which at the time was a PR+40 lb. injuries and poor technique had limited me up to this point. I then started supersetting ab work in with whatever isolation work I was doing after doing no direct ab work for a year and some (bad, I know).

this was my 3rd week on a working max of 300, pulled 285x8 which felt easy so I said why not try for a new 1RM? I chalked up, worked up to and pulled 365, alternating grip, no belt.

I’m gonna run another 3 weeks at the new 1RM then hopefully pull 405 with chalk/no belt.

ive been close to a 405 the last year, but everytime id get close life would own me and i’d be out for a month or more…

Last thursday I felt like crap, but said id go the gym anyways, got two double cheese burgers on the way cause my lunch was small… worked up to 315 for 8, went for 365 for a double, did 385 for a single and felt great so said F it and pulled an ungly 405 while telling myself mentally it was light and I could do this no problem…

anyways, glad to break that barrier, now time for 495… at the time I weighed 192±2 and am up to running 9 miles at a time in my marathon training…

still need to drop 15 more pounds to lean up…

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
ive been close to a 405 the last year, but everytime id get close life would own me and i’d be out for a month or more…

Last thursday I felt like crap, but said id go the gym anyways, got two double cheese burgers on the way cause my lunch was small… worked up to 315 for 8, went for 365 for a double, did 385 for a single and felt great so said F it and pulled an ungly 405 while telling myself mentally it was light and I could do this no problem…

anyways, glad to break that barrier, now time for 495… at the time I weighed 192±2 and am up to running 9 miles at a time in my marathon training…

still need to drop 15 more pounds to lean up…[/quote]

funny how you can accomplish what you think is impossible despite feeling like crap! my first pull at 335 was done after a 12 hour workday and unsure form.

good luck buddy!

Maybe we should have started this thread by defining “GYM”. There is a HUGE difference between what was SanDiego Barbell/American Iron in Reno/MonsterGarageGym/Frantz/Quad City and your typical 24hrs of LA Bally’s
Planet Fatness.

Of course in those latter named places you are not going to see four plate deads/squats or 3 plate benches as you would have with the previously mentioned proper Gym’s !

My squat is shit @355# but I get the funniest looks when I am in SD @ 24/La Fatness, or when I max @415 on the dead. Yeah, I am not at 5 plates…yet but give me till Halloween of 2012.

Then again maybe I should shut up about people not knowing a squat rack from their ass as it is always OPEN ; )

au contraire mon frere.

my LA Fatness has a few guys that can pull 4-5pps for reps and a couple that can bench 4-5pps for reps. squatting is not as good but I have seen some guys who probably weigh around 200 squat 3 pps for reps. there is one monster by the name of George that squatted 6pps for 5-6 reps with a belt and knee wraps, he made it look like a warmup. friggin guy told me once that he was trying to get to a 1900 total with a belt and knee wraps. he had hands like oven mitts.

ofc the great majority are your usual half-ROMers and those that deadlift with their backs…

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
and those that deadlift with their backs… [/quote]

?

And how else would one deadlift? Perhaps if you start using your back you might reach your goal :slight_smile:

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

?

And how else would one deadlift? Perhaps if you start using your back you might reach your goal :)[/quote]

X2 I always thought of the DL as more as a back movement more than anything, I am aware it incorporates the legs but I feel it is mainly a back movement.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

?

And how else would one deadlift? Perhaps if you start using your back you might reach your goal :)[/quote]

That one had me laughing.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

?

X2 I always thought of the DL as more as a back movement more than anything, I am aware it incorporates the legs but I feel it is mainly a back movement. [/quote]

what I’ve learned is not to pick the weight up off the ground with your back. that’s how I pulled my back so many times.

the DL does hit the back, but your erectors should just stabilize the load rather than try to move it. your quads/hams get it off the ground, then once the bar clears your knees your glutes bring your hips forward. so you actually pull back, rather than pick the weight up. Andy Bolton and Dave Tate have both described it as how one end of a teeter totter goes down and the other comes up. when I DL, my hams/glutes/erectors/abs are all banged up, not just my erectors.

if you’ve been deadlifting with your back all this time, you’ve been leaving a LOT of weight on the gym floor. I guarantee I never would’ve been able to pull 3pps with just my back, and walk away in one piece.

if you want to hit just your back, do seated GM’s as Wendler instructs.

no one said you don’t use anything other than back. but if you’re not using your back, I dare say it is YOU that is leaving “a LOT of weight on the gym floor”. But what do I know…I can’t remember NOT being able to DL 405. True story.

Well FWIW I SLDL 3pps for reps, and walkaway fine. Dave Tate also states getting too low on a DL leaves your hips to far away from the bar and recommends a slightly higher hip placement possibly creating more tension on your back. The DL works every part of your back all the way up to your traps. I’m not saying that it doesn’t hit your lower half but to say you don’t pull with your back would be too simplistic of a statement.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Well FWIW I SLDL 3pps for reps, and walkaway fine. Dave Tate also states getting too low on a DL leaves your hips to far away from the bar and recommends a slightly higher hip placement possibly creating more tension on your back. The DL works every part of your back all the way up to your traps. I’m not saying that it doesn’t hit your lower half but to say you don’t pull with your back would be too simplistic of a statement.[/quote]

yup

ok, all I’m saying is you don’t pick the bar up with just your back like I see a lot of guys doing at the gym. a lot of guys pick it up with just their backs, no leg, no hip drive, just all back from the floor to lockout.

I think we’re all in agreement here.

My second week of DL I got 405.

To me its like a 225 bench press if you workout its something you should be able to do.

[quote]ExtremistPullup wrote:
My second week of DL I got 405.

To me its like a 225 bench press if you workout its something you should be able to do.[/quote]

This.
I remember reading an article here saying that anyone who trains for 2 years should be able to get it no problem.

How about just attempting it and cut through working up to it? If you are deading 315 x 5-7 405lbs for 1 is pretty much there. It’s how I do my training and one rep maxes.

I guess you can say I am working up to it, lol. However, I just trained back pretty hard and never deaded for 4 months after getting 405lbs for 1 and recently I got it for 2. Again with no training deads inbetween just training back over all. @150lbs

My best so far is 435 for a 1RM. That was when I was 178. Fast forward to the present…I took 7 months off from the gym and just recently started lifting again. So within a month and a half of deadlifting, I’ve gotten back to over 400 and the cool thing is I’m much lighter. At 160 my best pull is 420. I hope to be hittin’ 450 or more by the end of this year.