Front Squat Tips

Hey

Just hit a new 150kg Front Squat PB few days ago.

Imo my tech is fine will it gets 90+ % then it goes to shit.

Heres the vid of the session leading up to a +10kg PB

cheers.

bump… no feedback?

i think you simply need to get more flexible in order to keep your back straight and in a strong upright position.

you may be getting pretty low, but your back was rounding pretty significantly on ALL of those lifts in your video, Not just the 90%+ lifts. you stand up pretty easily so im sure its not your leg strength, but your constantly fighting to keep the rack as the bar is traveling forward on you.

you could have tight hamstrings, try and work on that and fight to keep your back perfectly straight through out the entire lift.

It looks like you have flexibility problems. Your back is rounding at the bottom, even with 120kg. Does it round with lower weight?

[quote]krayon wrote:
It looks like you have flexibility problems. Your back is rounding at the bottom, even with 120kg. Does it round with lower weight?[/quote]

no idea… ill vid some warm up sets next time.

I do round under on back squats too and lean forward loads…

tight hamstrings? glutes?

first off i have no idea how u kept the 150 racked.

IMO once u start heading down ur back is never in a good position. if it was from lack of flexibility at the bottom ur back would start rounding after u hit the hole but it starts way before that. i use to have a problem like urs and it turned out that i had weak abs, u might want to try and working the abs more along with the flexibility

[quote]boldar wrote:
first off i have no idea how u kept the 150 racked.

IMO once u start heading down ur back is never in a good position. if it was from lack of flexibility at the bottom ur back would start rounding after u hit the hole but it starts way before that. i use to have a problem like urs and it turned out that i had weak abs, u might want to try and working the abs more along with the flexibility[/quote]

Cheers for this mate

Watched a good few videos last night, got some things to work on and ill add abs to it

Heavy Pull Downs and Candle Sticks? Also overhead Squats?

Some flexibility issues…

Focus on DRIVING YOUR ELBOWS UP. This will help to keep the upper portion of your back solid but this won’t help your mobility as rounding your back around the middle.

If you work on OHS this will sort you out. Get a video of yourself doing an OHS and I gurantee this will expose any flexiblity issues with your squat.

Good f0cking job on the 150kg! Your back was bent to f0ck but you got it! 'ave it!!!

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Some flexibility issues…

Focus on DRIVING YOUR ELBOWS UP. This will help to keep the upper portion of your back solid but this won’t help your mobility as rounding your back around the middle.

If you work on OHS this will sort you out. Get a video of yourself doing an OHS and I gurantee this will expose any flexiblity issues with your squat.

Good f0cking job on the 150kg! Your back was bent to f0ck but you got it! 'ave it!!!

Koing[/quote]

Cheers mate

Ive OHS’d 70-80kg for 5 before, and I think Ive done 85kg for a single.

Will get the camera out next time.

The video will show how your form is on the OHS. It would be very strange if you can OHS with ‘good form’ going ‘all the way down’ that you can’t front squat properly. But mate, on limit weights the form breaks down…

Note the 6th rep the back is more rounded but still stays a lot straighter then yours.

Koing

I see what you mean mate.

My OHS’s are always deep as fuck, i think its the one exercise that I can actually go A2G on. Then again I have no idea on form, but there defo the deepest squats i do. I do them for core and overhead stability for strongman.

I’ll get a vid of some light reps and some heavier/harder reps on Monday when I squat next for your expert eyes.

I see what you mean mate.

My OHS’s are always deep as fuck, i think its the one exercise that I can actually go A2G on. Then again I have no idea on form, but there defo the deepest squats i do. I do them for core and overhead stability for strongman.

I’ll get a vid of some light reps and some heavier/harder reps on Monday when I squat next for your expert eyes.

OHS squat vid from today. Meant to film the set of 5 at 60kg but i forgot, then went for a new PB (90kg), but couldnt take it much past quarter squat on 2 attempts.

40kg x4
80kg x1
90kg xf

Awaiting the experts tips. :wink:

Keep that chest up and arched. Otherwise, good!!!

I posted this in relation to Koing posts and using this to find my front squat flexibility problems etc…

Your going down too fast on the 40’s mate…go down slower and more controlled.

Get some more reps in at 60-70kg. The 80 was solid, what happened on the 90? Legs burnt out?

Take your front squats down a few notches as your lacking the back strength, your legs are PLENTY STRONG but your back is not quite there yet for heavy fronts. It’ll come with time mate. My back tends to round a bit on heavy front squats but it’s heavy triples the 3rd rep is a closer one!

Just keep up the over head squats. Pause them at the bottom and then blast up. Work on heavy 3-4’s but be careful on your wrists as they will be cained.

I rarely ever do OHS, just heavy back and sometimes fronts. If you can OHS strictly this will help your ‘form’ on your back and front squats. You can’t cheat an OHS.

Keep up the good work mate.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

Get some more reps in at 60-70kg. The 80 was solid, what happened on the 90? Legs burnt out?

Take your front squats down a few notches as your lacking the back strength, your legs are PLENTY STRONG but your back is not quite there yet for heavy fronts. It’ll come with time mate. My back tends to round a bit on heavy front squats but it’s heavy triples the 3rd rep is a closer one!

Just keep up the over head squats. Pause them at the bottom and then blast up. Work on heavy 3-4’s but be careful on your wrists as they will be cained.

I rarely ever do OHS, just heavy back and sometimes fronts. If you can OHS strictly this will help your ‘form’ on your back and front squats. You can’t cheat an OHS.

Koing[/quote]

90kg - Felt if i took it another inch lower I would be falling over. wobbling liek a mother fucker.

I had just heavy paused back squated and done 3x5 80kg of c+p and then max C+P with 60kg in 2 mins. so i wasnt exactly fresh.

So you think my general form defects are down to a lack of upper back strength as opposed to flexibility?

[quote]thosebananas wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

Koing[/quote]

90kg - Felt if i took it another inch lower I would be falling over. wobbling liek a mother fucker.

I had just heavy paused back squated and done 3x5 80kg of c+p and then max C+P with 60kg in 2 mins. so i wasnt exactly fresh.

So you think my general form defects are down to a lack of upper back strength as opposed to flexibility?[/quote]

Yes. Your 80kg OHS was pretty deep so it is a weak upperback. Do bent over rows from the 2nd pull position. I have my lifters do this to strengthen their upperbacks and specific position work for OLifts.

Show some videos of front squats at 70,80,85 and 90% and see how it goes. Do 3reps at each of those %.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]thosebananas wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

Koing[/quote]

So you think my general form defects are down to a lack of upper back strength as opposed to flexibility?[/quote]

Yes. Your 80kg OHS was pretty deep so it is a weak upperback. Do bent over rows from the 2nd pull position. I have my lifters do this to strengthen their upperbacks and specific position work for OLifts.

Show some videos of front squats at 70,80,85 and 90% and see how it goes. Do 3reps at each of those %.

Koing[/quote]

Using 150 as the 100%.

Im actually planning snatch, front squats, shrug or high pulls and upper back work for tonight so should have a vid up soon.

I’d probably use a bit less mate as the 150 your back was bent to f0ck! Thats just asking for an injury mate. Less then perfect form is acceptable on limit weights as long as the risk of injury isn’t too high and unfortunately the 150 looked really bad man. But do post at say 100, 120, 130, 135, 140, 145 and see how they look. The form should be pretty dam f0cking similar for those weights!

Forget shrugs man, do pulls, hammer bent over rows also

Koing