Flax Seed Oil

[quote]steinnes wrote:
The reason to supplement flax seed oil, is mostly because of ALA.

There are 6 types of omega-3 fatty acids if I am correct;
α-Linolenic acid (ALA)
Stearidonic acid
Eicosatetraenoic acid
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
Docosapentaenoic acid
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)

As I reckon, the ALA, EPA and DHA are the most healthy ones according to research. As far as I know fish oil doesn’t contain ALA.

Obviously with regards to the studies indicating prostate problems with larger quantities of flax seed oil, I’d say anyone (like Farmer_Jay) taking a relatively large amount of flax seed oil today, should cut down to what the experts here seem to suggest being a relatively safe choice – 1 tbsp, per day.

So to make up for a current overconsumption of flax seed oil, to the degree of 5tbsp per day, you should first limit the flax seed oil to 1tbsp, then decide whether or not you feel you need more omega-3, then supplement with fish oil instead, but if keeping caloric intake up is your only concern, olive oil should be the smartest replacement.[/quote]

How would a person decide if they need more flax oil?

[quote]Farmer_jay wrote:
I can’t believe this is the first I’ve heard about flax oil and the prostate. I’ve been taking 5 Tbsp of flax oil everyday, needless to say I’ll be stopping that and incorporating some flax meal instead. Not quite sure how to replace it calorie wise though, is olive oil just as high in ALA as flax? Anybody know how many mg per Tbsp? I can’t find it on my bottle.

I already take a different shake w/ 3 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil , so not sure if it’s harmful if I add another 5 Tbsp on top of that?? Would it be better to replace it with a mix of olive and fish oils (not the pill kind). Seems like I’d have to be drinking a lot fish oil. I’m on the carb cycle codex so changing protein or carbs isn’t an option. Any suggestions?[/quote]

5 tablespoons a day? Isn’t that dangerous? 35 grams a day? Do you drive? Ever been afraid of bleeding to death in a car accident?

Please post a photo.

rofl. 5 tablespoons is not equal to 35 grams.
5 tablespoons isn’t going to cause cognitive impairment.
And what has a photo got to do with anything??? If I’m missing something important here please, fill me in.

Health risks
In a letter dated October 31, 2000 entitled Letter Regarding Dietary Supplement Health Claim for omega-3 Fatty Acids and Coronary Heart Disease, the United States Food and Drug Administration Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling, and Dietary Supplements noted that the known or suspected risks of EPA and DHA �?�??3 fatty acids may include:

There have been reports that increased bleeding can occur if overused (normally over 3 grams per day) by a patient who is also taking aspirin or coumadin (warfarin). However, this is disputed.[1]
The possibility of hemorrhagic stroke (only in case of very large doses, called “Eskimo amounts”).[51]
Oxidation of �?�??3 fatty acids forming biologically active oxidation products.
Reduced glycemic control among diabetics.
Suppression of immune and inflammation responses, and consequently, decreased resistance to infections and increased susceptibility to opportunistic bacteria.
An increase in concentration of LDL cholesterol in some individuals.
Subsequent advices from the FDA and national counterparts have permitted health claims associated with heart health.

[quote]danchubb wrote:

And what has a photo got to do with anything??? If I’m missing something important here please, fill me in.[/quote]
That’s what I was thinking–fill me in if I am wrong. It is 3am.

How many grams are in one tablespoon of flaxoil? No, 5Ts will cause a stroke or hemmorhage.

I want to see his beautiful, baby-smooth face.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Was just wondering if anybody can point me towards any resources that discuss many issues of flaxseed oil. Such as… which type to buy, ie) supposedly even cold pressed can be heated before it is cold pressed, and there are specific things you are supposed to look for when buying it. Also information on how much to take, and what to take it with, etc…

Please only credible sources. Anything written by anybody who is not a doctor or scientist or somebody of the sort will not be taken as useable information.

P.S
my god… FLAXSEED OIL IS SO NASTY TASTING
[/quote]
Use Barlean’s cold pressed organic flaxseed oil and Nancy’s 1% cottage cheese for maximum uptake.

I think it tastes like buttery popcorn. Mmmm.

[quote]POM wrote:
danchubb wrote:

And what has a photo got to do with anything??? If I’m missing something important here please, fill me in.
That’s what I was thinking–fill me in if I am wrong. It is 3am.

How many grams are in one tablespoon of flaxoil? No, 5Ts will cause a stroke or hemmorhage.

I want to see his beautiful, baby-smooth face.

[/quote]

Thanks for post above.
1 Tbsp = 15mL as far as I know, which is, I believe, 14g of fat (approx). Thus it would be perhaps 70g of Fish Oil.

While I agree that that is a boatload of fishoil, I don’t agree that 35 grams would necessarily cause a stroke / hemorrhage. However if anyone has concrete data that would be appreciated.

Chubb

1 Tablespoon of flaxseed oil = 7196 mg Omega 3s

You can choose to disagree with medical evidence if you like. That is your choice. Fishoil is not flaxseed oil.

[quote]POM wrote:
1 Tablespoon of flaxseed oil = 7196 mg Omega 3s

You can choose to disagree with medical evidence if you like. That is your choice. Fishoil is not flaxseed oil. [/quote]

Sorry - meant flax oil =)
Just got home from the gym and feeling preeeetty out of it.

No picture. :frowning: