Flax Seed Oil

Was just wondering if anybody can point me towards any resources that discuss many issues of flaxseed oil. Such as… which type to buy, ie) supposedly even cold pressed can be heated before it is cold pressed, and there are specific things you are supposed to look for when buying it. Also information on how much to take, and what to take it with, etc…

Please only credible sources. Anything written by anybody who is not a doctor or scientist or somebody of the sort will not be taken as useable information.

P.S
my god… FLAXSEED OIL IS SO NASTY TASTING

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Please only credible sources. Anything written by anybody who is not a doctor or scientist or somebody of the sort will not be taken as useable information.

P.S
my god… FLAXSEED OIL IS SO NASTY TASTING
[/quote]

If you had run even a basic Google or Yahoo search, you would have found the answer to this question. This site itself is also FULL of answers to this question. So the answer to your question is: Do a Yahoo or Google search or search this site.

I did run a basic search on google. I couldnt find a single credible source. So I asked for a link or a book suggestion here.

Isn’t flax oil bad for your prostate?

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Isn’t flax oil bad for your prostate?[/quote]

If a male uses more than 2 tablespoons a day of straight flax oil, yes, it can have consequences to the prostate as quoted in one of the articles not too long ago here.

I think you’d find everything you needed to know about flax oil from here:
http://www.udoerasmus.com/firstscreen.htm

He’s a doctor if that matters to you.

The udo’s oil blend is one of the best. Albiet you still need a product like FlameOut to cover other Omega 3 needs.

P.S. All oils taste like shit. Suck it up, down a tablespoon and chase it with some juice and it’s over.

IMO use flax meal a few tbl spoons a day for the fat and fiber and then a good fish oil supp like Flameout.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
IMO use flax meal a few tbl spoons a day for the fat and fiber and then a good fish oil supp like Flameout.

Phill[/quote]

I completely agree with Phill here.

I use a couple tablespoons of flax meal as well.

Mix it in with a shake and you can not even taste it.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
I did run a basic search on google. I couldnt find a single credible source. So I asked for a link or a book suggestion here.
[/quote]

Really? I put flaxeed oil into Google. On the first page of ten results was the Mayo Clinic. Is guess the mayo clinic is unreliable? LMAO.

On the very next page was link to the University of New Mexico.

You didn’t do a search. Why lie?

I’d listen to some of the other guys on here and just go with whole flax seeds and grind them yourself using a coffee grinder or something similar. When you use the seeds themselves, you still get a healthy dose of omega-3’s, along with fiber, lignans, and other goodies that aren’t present in the oil.

I’d stay away from the pre-milled products though as ground flax seeds are notorious for spoiling very quickly. You can get a big bag of the seeds for dirt cheap at a Whole Foods or similar store and then just grind them and mix them with just about anything.

[quote]White girl wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

If a male uses more than 2 tablespoons a day of straight flax oil, yes, it can have consequences to the prostate as quoted in one of the articles not too long ago here.

The udo’s oil blend is one of the best. Albiet you still need a product like Flameout to cover other Omega 3 needs.

P.S. All oils taste like shit. Suck it up, down a tablespoon and chase it with some juice and it’s over.[/quote]

I can’t believe this is the first I’ve heard about flax oil and the prostate. I’ve been taking 5 Tbsp of flax oil everyday, needless to say I’ll be stopping that and incorporating some flax meal instead. Not quite sure how to replace it calorie wise though, is olive oil just as high in ALA as flax? Anybody know how many mg per Tbsp? I can’t find it on my bottle.

I already take a different shake w/ 3 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil , so not sure if it’s harmful if I add another 5 Tbsp on top of that?? Would it be better to replace it with a mix of olive and fish oils (not the pill kind). Seems like I’d have to be drinking a lot fish oil. I’m on the carb cycle codex so changing protein or carbs isn’t an option. Any suggestions?

Berardi recently recommended using one tbsp of oil per day in addition to your fish oil; but I’m sure the ground seeds are even better.

I use Health From The Sun’s high lignan variety. A month and a half’s worth for 10 bucks at dps.

[quote]Farmer_jay wrote:
White girl wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

The udo’s oil blend is one of the best. Albiet you still need a product like Flameout to cover other Omega 3 needs.

P.S. All oils taste like shit. Suck it up, down a tablespoon and chase it with some juice and it’s over.

I can’t believe this is the first I’ve heard about flax oil and the prostate. I’ve been taking 5 Tbsp of flax oil everyday, needless to say I’ll be stopping that and incorporating some flax meal instead. Not quite sure how to replace it calorie wise though, is olive oil just as high in ALA as flax? Anybody know how many mg per Tbsp? I can’t find it on my bottle.

I already take a different shake w/ 3 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil , so not sure if it’s harmful if I add another 5 Tbsp on top of that?? Would it be better to replace it with a mix of olive and fish oils (not the pill kind). Seems like I’d have to be drinking a lot fish oil. I’m on the carb cycle codex so changing protein or carbs isn’t an option. Any suggestions?[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1354784

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
DanErickson wrote:

Really? I put flaxeed oil into Google. On the first page of ten results was the Mayo Clinic. Is guess the mayo clinic is unreliable? LMAO.

On the very next page was link to the University of New Mexico.

You didn’t do a search. Why lie?[/quote]

I didnt like
when I put it into google the first page that comes up is this
www.bodybuildingforyou.com/health-
supplements/flax-seed-oil.htm

here is the meta-analysis(?) of flax oil & prostate risk

http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/flax_prostate_pv.htm

Here’s Berardi’s Tip of the Day for November 29:

Fish vs. Flax

“Since flax and fish oils are made up mostly of polyunsaturated fats, they both play an important role in overall health and body comp. However, they play different roles. My advice: use both. My polyunsaturated fats come from both fish oil and flax oil. However, I do limit my flax oil to 1 tbsp per day as there’s some evidence that high intakes of flax seed oil may have a negative effect on prostate health. So, I exercise caution and moderation with flax.”

Dr. LL has also, in the past, stated that he uses flax oil but limits intake to one tbsp/day.

Question. If flax oil is bad for the prostate, then would flax seeds and flax meal be bad for the prostate?

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Question. If flax oil is bad for the prostate, then would flax seeds and flax meal be bad for the prostate?[/quote]

yes and possible more so due to the phytoestrogens the jury is still out. i limit it to 2 tblspoons or so a day of flax meal.

Phill

One other question. Why take it at all?

Sorry, but I just don’t understand why someone would consume something bad for ones prostate?

(I am just looking into flax, because todays article said that Poliquin said that flax binds to estrogens and gets them out of the body. If I understand things right. But I would rather be a girlieman, with a prostate. Then a burly man without one)

read that quote above by JB and the artciel it comes from it goes into the differences and the role that the fats from flax can play to fill the small gaps that fish oil dont take.

Phill

The reason to supplement flax seed oil, is mostly because of ALA.

There are 6 types of omega-3 fatty acids if I am correct;
α-Linolenic acid (ALA)
Stearidonic acid
Eicosatetraenoic acid
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
Docosapentaenoic acid
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)

As I reckon, the ALA, EPA and DHA are the most healthy ones according to research. As far as I know fish oil doesn’t contain ALA.

Obviously with regards to the studies indicating prostate problems with larger quantities of flax seed oil, I’d say anyone (like Farmer_Jay) taking a relatively large amount of flax seed oil today, should cut down to what the experts here seem to suggest being a relatively safe choice – 1 tbsp, per day.

So to make up for a current overconsumption of flax seed oil, to the degree of 5tbsp per day, you should first limit the flax seed oil to 1tbsp, then decide whether or not you feel you need more omega-3, then supplement with fish oil instead, but if keeping caloric intake up is your only concern, olive oil should be the smartest replacement.