'Flat Bench Press is a Sh**ty Exercise'

So is it a fair conclusion that the bench press is like any other exercise? If you feel it working the muscles you want, progress on it, and don’t injure yourself, it is a good exercise to use? :slight_smile:

I feel mostly chest and delt (not much tricep) when I bench… obviously at this point in time I could have probably gotten results with any exercise, but the bench is definitely working so far… and I just enjoy doing it. I wouldn’t throw it out any time in the foreseeable future. Probably the easiest (pressing) exercise to progress on and I think it is the easiest to ‘push yourself’ with.

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:

[quote]bobbyp wrote:
I’ve signed up here after reading this discussion. I feel that I have reached a plateau with my chest. And I’m going to try leaving flat bench press out. I may do a couple of light sets at the start perhaps.
[/quote]

Try training legs too.[/quote]

I do train legs, I admit I have just started training legs in the last couple of months. I have Crohn’s disease - if you don’t know what that is, look it up. I had a big operation and doing squats was a no no then, so yes I have just started training legs.

I’m sorry I’m not a hardcore lifter, I’m sorry I’m not as knowledgeable as you and others on this forum.

[quote]destroyedquads wrote:

[quote]D Public wrote:
hs decline works my upper chest better than bb incline lol…

that being said…i’m not syaing just do decline movements…Who does 1 chest exercise? i personally do all 3 variations…

but in the end, chest shape is genetic despite what you want to believe…most people with “overdeveloped lower chest” are just carrying fat there…when you get into contest condition, you realize just how much chest you actually have…
[/quote]

Yeah man, I’m just saying I think for many its a psychological thing, thats all.

Interestingly, I think it was Phil Hernon who said something along the lines of the incline barbell press being useless, and that he was a strong advocate of the decline press. I THINK it was him. Someone who knows more please chime in lol.[/quote]

yeah phil’s an advocate of decline…idk about his thoughts on incline…

i think the incline movement has some merit…i usually start with incline then do hs decline…i see incline more as a delt/pec hybrid type exercise whereas decline is more of a chest/tricep exercise for me…

I did slight incline barbell pressing AND decline flys last night. Am I gonna be in trouble?

My chest is sore as shit. Did something right.

I think some of these comments are a little ridiculous. If you are making some statement about what you think works best for you and you are still at an early intermediate stage of development, please stop. You do NOT know yet what works best for you LONG TERM after you get past that initial stage of development.

When I was the size of Doyle or Austin, the bench press was working ok for me to the point where I wouldn’t have known to even try anything else when it comes to replacing it. By the time I had gotten to Holy Mac’s size, it was clear that the barbell was holding me back from progressing. This is not something you can even pick up on until you have reached a level of strength and size that most don’t get to.

I could bench 405 before I switched to mostly dumbells because my strength was not progressing and my size hadn’t either to match what I saw in other muscle groups.

There is no doubt that the size I am now would NOT have been achieved had I simply stuck with the barbell bench.

I have that shirtless pic in my profile and if you all see random people with a chest bigger who rely on barbell as their main movement still, let me know so we can all learn.

Even Dexter Jackson will warm up on a bench press but most of his routine after that is with a dumbbell and machine.

Once again, this is NOT powertlifting. No one cares on this forum that you love barbells for chest unless your chest now stands out more than the rest of us as a result.

The dumbbells, and then later the Hammer Strength machines, allowed me to reach a level of size that I wouldn’t have been able to get to doing the same things I started with. This is about PROGRESSION, not yelling out what works best for you when you really aren’t that big yet.

[quote]buzza wrote:
said Yates in a seminar (I can’t post it on forum because of spamming problemS),basically He said that low decline bench press has been his main muscle builder for chest,so low incline bench press and that he stopped to perform flat bench because it’s dangerous (pec tearing) and less effective for chest development.

fom Stars to rats,I tend to agree , from august I quited flat bench and never come back, but I would like to know opinions about throwing the flat BP out the window…[/quote]

I am not disputing anyone’s assertion that there are a range of bench press variations, and other chest exercises that are appropriate, probably more so, for development. Especially once you are a more advanced lifter.

But to say the flat bench doesn’t work the chest at all is completely stupid, and shows complete ignorance of human physiology/mechanics etc.

How can someone know its not good for them till they have tried to bring up their weakpoints and supporting muscles, till they have worked on their technique to get it safe. In my working experience, a decent strength and development level is required and a 140kg bench is my rule of thumb to start figuring out what is and isn’t working, or what is and isn’t causing problems.

Some people get to this very quickly, some longer. I am yet to meet or work with someone struggling with developing their bench strength where we couldn’t identify a problem, work on it, and continue progression in their strength. This is not a circular problem since the flat bench press DOES WORK THE CHEST. Balanced programming ensures you will work the other muscles. Unless you have completely different anatomy, there is no way you can bench press without a major degree of pectoral recruitment.

I congratulate those who have developed an excellent chest with exclusion of the flat bench.

But if we are going to condemn a shitty exercise for being an injury risk (as the original OP implied), lets stop doing some of the others in addition to bench press that provide lots of injury clients simply owing to the normal mechanics of the task.

running (hip and lower limb injuries)
squats (knees and backs)
leg extensions (knees)
behind the neck presses (shoulders and necks)
upright rows (shoulders)
rowing ergometers (backs and hips)
cycling (ITB, knees)
deadlifts (backs and knees)
leg press (backs)

[quote]GluteusGigantis wrote:
But if we are going to condemn a shitty exercise for being an injury risk (as the original OP implied), lets stop doing some of the others in addition to bench press that provide lots of injury clients simply owing to the normal mechanics of the task.

squats (knees and backs)
leg extensions (knees)
upright rows (shoulders)
cycling (ITB, knees)
leg press (backs)

[/quote]
When I try playing PS3 with my younger bros, my thumb starts to hurt,… maybe Hammer Strength will come up with something for me :slight_smile:

S

This is not a circular problem since the flat bench press DOES WORK THE CHEST. Balanced

[/quote]

Well now Im really mad. My pecs never got this message. Who do they have to suck off to learn that flat bench press is supposed to stimulate them???

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Well now Im really mad. My pecs never got this message. Who do they have to suck off to learn that flat bench press is supposed to stimulate them???[/quote]

LOL…same as calf raises for my calves…and Stu’s post was funny as shit too. My wrists get sore if I play a console game.

The funniest thing is that I don’t even have a 140kg flat bench yet LOL

Quite like the weighted dips at the moment. Tried them with a 40kg chain around my neck while on holiday and that was freakin hard.

Happy times. Good constructive discussion. Much love to all (I do love you Bonez, you’re a hardass but that’s awesome. Actually I’m sometimes surprised you don’t get as much grief as Prof.X does? or is that opening a can of worms so to speak?)

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

squats (knees and backs)
leg extensions (knees)
upright rows (shoulders)
cycling (ITB, knees)
leg press (backs)

[/quote]
When I try playing PS3 with my younger bros, my thumb starts to hurt,… maybe Hammer Strength will come up with something for me :slight_smile:

S
[/quote]

This is a serious concern, sometimes when I have to press O continuously, I have to hit the controller on my knee instead, so my knee can tap the O instead. Or move the thumbstick back and forth on the sofa.

Too much lactic acid build-up. Can’t be safe.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Well now Im really mad. My pecs never got this message. Who do they have to suck off to learn that flat bench press is supposed to stimulate them???[/quote]

LOL…same as calf raises for my calves…and Stu’s post was funny as shit too. My wrists get sore if I play a console game.

Quite like the weighted dips at the moment. Tried them with a 40kg chain around my neck while on holiday and that was freakin hard.

Happy times. Good constructive discussion. Much love to all (I do love you Bonez, you’re a hardass but that’s awesome. Actually I’m sometimes surprised you don’t get as much grief as Prof.X does? or is that opening a can of worms so to speak?)

[/quote]

He’s white. I just had Nards make several posts all because I wrote that people were overusing cat gifs and the use of them does not make someone funny.

If I had written exactly what he did in this thread, the whole thread would now be about me and some jackass who hardly posts would be throwing a fit because of what I wrote.

[quote]buzza wrote:
said Yates in a seminar (I can’t post it on forum because of spamming problemS),basically He said that low decline bench press has been his main muscle builder for chest,so low incline bench press and that he stopped to perform flat bench because it’s dangerous (pec tearing) and less effective for chest development.

fom Stars to rats,I tend to agree , from august I quited flat bench and never come back, but I would like to know opinions about throwing the flat BP out the window…[/quote]

I am not disputing anyone’s assertion that there are a range of bench press variations, and other chest exercises that are appropriate, probably more so, for development. Especially once you are a more advanced lifter.

But to say the flat bench doesn’t work the chest at all is completely stupid, and shows complete ignorance of human physiology/mechanics etc.

How can someone know its not good for them till they have tried to bring up their weakpoints and supporting muscles, till they have worked on their technique to get it safe. In my working experience, a decent strength and development level is required and a 140kg bench is my rule of thumb to start figuring out what is and isn’t working, or what is and isn’t causing problems.

Some people get to this very quickly, some longer. I am yet to meet or work with someone struggling with developing their bench strength where we couldn’t identify a problem, work on it, and continue progression in their strength. This is not a circular problem since the flat bench press DOES WORK THE CHEST. Balanced programming ensures you will work the other muscles. Unless you have completely different anatomy, there is no way you can bench press without a major degree of pectoral recruitment.

I congratulate those who have developed an excellent chest with exclusion of the flat bench.

squats (knees and backs)
leg extensions (knees)
upright rows (shoulders)
cycling (ITB, knees)
leg press (backs)

[/quote]

I am not “condemning” the bench press. I just know that if your goal is a HUGE chest, you will likely have to abandon it at some point or at th very least, not rely on it as a core exercise.

Bottom line, I don’t see too many HUGE chests here so I am not sure what people are complaining about. Most of the people who are claiming they love the barbell so much aren’t exactly busting shirt buttons open.

This is bodybuilding, not “do it cause it’s fun and because I think it makes me more hardcore”.

I definitely do not believe you condemn the bench press at all X, and apologies if that was inferred (my post was straight after so I can see how that may have been).

I appreciate the story you tell about your chest development.

The race issue is unfortunate. The country I’m from is relatively speaking excellent with racial relations (New Zealand), so I am hesitant to jump into that side of things.

I also agree with your last comment re; bodybuilding, and would also add not “do it cause its a complicated flash exercise”

I definitely do not believe you condemn the bench press at all X, and apologies if that was inferred (my post was straight after so I can see how that may have been).

The race issue is unfortunate. The country I’m from is relatively speaking excellent with racial relations (New Zealand), so I am hesitant to jump into that side of things.

I also agree with your last comment re; bodybuilding, and would also add not “do it cause its a complicated flash exercise”
[/quote]

I jump right into it because I know what I am writing is true. I am the only guy here who gets questioned as much about my profession and everything I write. There are other dentists here, other chiropractors, other surgeons…yet have you ever…EVER…heard even one of them get questioned about it as if they couldn’t possibly be one?

It doesn’t really bother me because I’ve gotten that shit since I first logged in and posted a picture. I just hate that people pretend that it isn’t the case.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

I jump right into it because I know what I am writing is true. I am the only guy here who gets questioned as much about my profession and everything I write. There are other dentists here, other chiropractors, other surgeons…yet have you ever…EVER…heard even one of them get questioned about it as if they couldn’t possibly be one?

It doesn’t really bother me because I’ve gotten that shit since I first logged in and posted a picture. I just hate that people pretend that it isn’t the case.
[/quote]

You are like the Tom Brady of T-Nation

Pretty much only the people in the NFL thread will get that joke.

LOL

You really think it’s because you’re black? I thought you were being sarcastic, I didn’t think anybody could be that fucking dense.

The reason you get so much grief is because you’re an arrogant abrasive jackass with zero people skills. Bonez speaks the truth without making it personal. If someone disagrees with you it’s because they are a skinny racist prick. You act like you’re the absolute end all authority on all things bodybuilding when you’re well over 20% bodyfat and have never competed. You make everything about yourself think your opinion is certifiable truth no matter the subject.

You’re like that semi-decent looking girl who acts like a complete cunt and thinks everyone hates her because they’re jealous.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are like the Tom Brady of T-Nation

Pretty much only the people in the NFL thread will get that joke.[/quote]

Well played.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah I agree with your general stance on this, especially the part about not dismissing something based on injury risk alone.

I just took issue with assigning a strength requirement before being able to realize that a certain movement is not beneficial to an individual.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
I just took issue with assigning a strength requirement before being able to realize that a certain movement is not beneficial to an individual. [/quote]

Fair point. I have tried to think about why I even use this, and realized why.

Basically alot of my sporting prescription based around building chest size/strength has always had a measurable outcome requirement. Most sports coaches want to measure the strength improvement to go along with size with the bench press. So, when you are prescribing for these athletes and want to build their chest size and strength (contact sports) you are forced to keep the flat bench in there and simply figure out what’s holding someone back and fix it. Its a proverbial brick wall approach, but is the context and background behind my rule of thumb strength requirement.

I think some of these comments are a little ridiculous. If you are making some statement about what you think works best for you and you are still at an early intermediate stage of development, please stop. You do NOT know yet what works best for you LONG TERM after you get past that initial stage of development.

When I was the size of Doyle or Austin, the bench press was working ok for me to the point where I wouldn’t have known to even try anything else when it comes to replacing it. By the time I had gotten to Holy Mac’s size, it was clear that the barbell was holding me back from progressing. This is not something you can even pick up on until you have reached a level of strength and size that most don’t get to.

I could bench 405 before I switched to mostly dumbells because my strength was not progressing and my size hadn’t either to match what I saw in other muscle groups.

There is no doubt that the size I am now would NOT have been achieved had I simply stuck with the barbell bench.

I have that shirtless pic in my profile and if you all see random people with a chest bigger who rely on barbell as their main movement still, let me know so we can all learn.

Even Dexter Jackson will warm up on a bench press but most of his routine after that is with a dumbbell and machine.

Once again, this is NOT powertlifting. No one cares on this forum that you love barbells for chest unless your chest now stands out more than the rest of us as a result.

The dumbbells, and then later the Hammer Strength machines, allowed me to reach a level of size that I wouldn’t have been able to get to doing the same things I started with. This is about PROGRESSION, not yelling out what works best for you when you really aren’t that big yet.[/quote]

But I can bench pressez as much as holy mac