First Ever Highland Games

[quote]BlakeAE wrote:
Also - congrats to anyone who stepped on to the the field for the first time. I can’t wait to get there myself.[/quote]

That’s a great point. It takes considerable guts to put it all on the line. Nothing about training is the same afterwards.

[quote]BlakeAE wrote:
ironball wrote:
That is to say that to be explosive enough to compete in HG you need to be able to comfortably handle your body weight in the clean. For some that may seem like an oversimplification, but in reality if you can’t move your own weight how will you ever be able to generate enough force to move the impelements?

I would make that one of my strength goals for sure. I would also work a lot of grip strength because have to hold on to heavy things. As you mentioned there is no substitute for good solid plyometrics and running to get an explosive base started.
Good luck,
Ironball

Thanks Ironball. Its another point of reference to consider. I’m currently pushing up to a short term goal weight of 190lbs. When you talk about handling bodyweight, you’re talking a hell of a lot more weight than me, but we’re moving the same implements on the field.

I think thats why us lighter guys who have been bulking and strength training are more often looking for “starting points”.

I’m giving myself points for best attempt to hijack this thread now. Apologies, I wasn’t thinking at the time. Should have started a new one.

Also - congrats to anyone who stepped on to the the field for the first time. I can’t wait to get there myself.[/quote]

Hey man after reading your message I forgot the most important piece of advice I ever got about Highland Games. Go watch one of these events and talk to the competitors if you can. By getting a little glimpse inside their world, you will learn a lot more about what you need to do, than I or any of the other well meaning people here at the greatest place on the net can tell you.

ironball

We had a fantastic training day yesterday (Sat.) I retained some of my ability from last year. Some. I’m sore as hell but it feels so invigorating to be out in the warm sun throwing heavy stuff.

We trained the light hammer, heavy hammer, light and heavy WFD, caber, Breamer stone and WOB. No sheaf this day but since it comes so naturally to me I probably wont spend much time on it.

I’m just now “getting” the double spin. I used single spin last year and fared pretty well. I think the double spin should add feet to my PR.

I’d like to thank Dave C. for being so generous with his time. And say thanks to a fellow T-Nation member (I’ll let him identify himself if he chooses) who I threw with. Good times, good times.

[quote]derek wrote:
We had a fantastic training day yesterday (Sat.) I retained some of my ability from last year. Some. I’m sore as hell but it feels so invigorating to be out in the warm sun throwing heavy stuff.

We trained the light hammer, heavy hammer, light and heavy WFD, caber, Breamer stone and WOB. No sheaf this day but since it comes so naturally to me I probably wont spend much time on it.

I’m just now “getting” the double spin. I used single spin last year and fared pretty well. I think the double spin should add feet to my PR.

I’d like to thank Dave C. for being so generous with his time. And say thanks to a fellow T-Nation member (I’ll let him identify himself if he chooses) who I threw with. Good times, good times.[/quote]

Derek,

What are you guys using for implements…“Heavy Stuff” as you so aptly name it? :wink:

A 16#stone is easy enough to come by and I would suppose a 12’ or 16’ 6"x8" landscape timber could sub as a caber…but what of the Weight for Height and/or distance? And the hammer?

…Home-made? -or purchased from a Track & Field supplier?

thanks!

[quote]Pauli D wrote:

Derek,

What are you guys using for implements…“Heavy Stuff” as you so aptly name it? :wink:

A 16#stone is easy enough to come by and I would suppose a 12’ or 16’ 6"x8" landscape timber could sub as a caber…but what of the Weight for Height and/or distance? And the hammer?

…Home-made? -or purchased from a Track & Field supplier?

thanks![/quote]

Everything is Highland Games equipment.

The caber is a homemade (aren’t they all?) job made by screwing 3 pressure-treated 2x8’s together and tapering the end. It’s not the one we’ll use in August, it’s more like a first-run try at making a caber but it’s authentic enough in length and weight. Good enough dimensions for an “opener”.

As far as track and field equipment goes, it’s not the same at all. Our hammer is a “stick” and ball not a cable.

The weights for distance and heights are like cannonballs on chains with a ring.

[quote]derek wrote:

Everything is Highland Games equipment.

As far as track and field equipment goes, it’s not the same at all. Our hammer is a “stick” and ball not a cable.

The weights for distance and heights are like cannonballs on chains with a ring.[/quote]

It would be nice to have access to equipment like that…very nice indeed!

My ‘home-made’ implements are just awkward and clumsy…cannonballs huh?
Nice!

[quote]derek wrote:
Great! My first was last year. My second is August 4th in MA. Are you completely hooked or what?

What’s your best event? Mine was clearly the Sheaf.[/quote]

Hi,sorry to hijack a thread,but where are there higland games is MA in august?,from an interested fellow Massatuckian. Would love to give the games a try.

I trained with derek this past weekend and it was unbelievable. I have so much respect for the events now that I have thrown (horribly) the heavy weight for distance. Nothing like being manhandled by 56lbs to make you want train harder. Sore torso today, very sore torso, pretty much all the way around my body.
Picking the Caber is pretty fun though, frustrating as hell but fun when you get it.

The big question, do I compete next month or give myself another month to train? Saturday was the very first time I have done anything of that nature. I am fine with the stone, hammer and weight for height but the weight for distance was horrible. I am sure Derek could amuse everyone with a description of me being tossed around. In a twist of the Nike slogan should I ?Just Dan-John it? and enter or should I train a little more?

[quote]Will Tagye wrote:
I trained with derek this past weekend and it was unbelievable. I have so much respect for the events now that I have thrown (horribly) the heavy weight for distance. Nothing like being manhandled by 56lbs to make you want train harder. Sore torso today, very sore torso, pretty much all the way around my body.
Picking the Caber is pretty fun though, frustrating as hell but fun when you get it.

The big question, do I compete next month or give myself another month to train? Saturday was the very first time I have done anything of that nature. I am fine with the stone, hammer and weight for height but the weight for distance was horrible.

I am sure Derek could amuse everyone with a description of me being tossed around. In a twist of the Nike slogan should I ?Just Dan-John it? and enter or should I train a little more?
[/quote]

Just DJ it!

Look at it this way…if you don’t enter you’ll be there anyway -trying to learn a thing or two…but you’ll be standing there on the sidelines kicking yourself in the hiney.

And THAT’s no fun…No fun at ALL!

:wink:

[quote]Pauli D wrote:
Just DJ it!

Look at it this way…if you don’t enter you’ll be there anyway -trying to learn a thing or two…but you’ll be standing there on the sidelines kicking yourself in the hiney.

And THAT’s no fun…No fun at ALL!

;)[/quote]

That is the feeling that I am getting. Screw it, I’m in. Can we convince derek to enter too?

[quote]Will Tagye wrote:

That is the feeling that I am getting. Screw it, I’m in. Can we convince derek to enter too?

[/quote]

I thought you did really well. You made the stone put look natural.

That 56# WOB or distance is ridiculous not matter how strong you are.

Like I had said earlier (on Saturday) Dave put me first in EVERY event in my first ever Games.

My clients, friends and family were all there not to mention all the strangers and first-time spectators watching me trying to learn how to throw.

The best part, the part that makes all the training and kilt-wearing worth it was the men and women on the sidelines cheering for me, calling my name out “Come on Derek”, “You can do it” “Big throw, let’s go” etc.

By the way we practice in Weymouth near Wal-mart behind the elementary school.

RI is out for me, Will. I’m 100% behind you though ;^)