T Nation

First Ever Highland Games

With summer rapidly approaching I got an opportunity to compete in my first highland games a month and half early. I have to say that T-Nation and the support of its members made a successful first time possible. In my first event I broke the field record by 9 feet or so and the rest of the day went very well. I just wanted to post some pics as a way of saying thank you to T-Nation as a whole, and a means of motivating others who have thought of competing in something like this.

Nice pics! Where are you from? And where are you going to be throwing this year!

I will be doing my first game of the year this Sat in Warrensburg MO. This is my 3rd year and I still suck! But I have a good time!

Terry

Thats awesome man. I also competed for the first time this year. Didn’t set any records but place third in the stone put and 7th over all out of twelve. Have another competition May 10. I live in Florda but I’m a native Texan! Keep up the good work.

Sean

Great! My first was last year. My second is August 4th in MA. Are you completely hooked or what?

What’s your best event? Mine was clearly the Sheaf.

[quote]BigdogEMT wrote:
Nice pics! Where are you from? And where are you going to be throwing this year!

I will be doing my first game of the year this Sat in Warrensburg MO. This is my 3rd year and I still suck! But I have a good time!

Terry

[/quote]

Hey man thanks I wish I had better pics but my gf didn’t know how to use my camera very well. We got that figured out and I may have some video pretty soon, once I have a little free time.

I live in Stephenville, Texas which is an hour southwest of Dallas/Fort Worth. My goal this year is to do three or four more games. Hopefully Arlington, Salado and maybe Austin. I am still not real sure. If you know of something up your way in late June or early July I might drive come up?

I totally agree with the good time, I felt the same excitement on Sunday that I did when I hit my first home run in little league 15 years ago.

have a good one bud

[quote]derek wrote:
Great! My first was last year. My second is August 4th in MA. Are you completely hooked or what?

What’s your best event? Mine was clearly the Sheaf.[/quote]

I totally know what you mean about the being hooked thing. I can’t wait until my next competition. I told all my old friends and lifting buddies this is the best thing you can possibly do if you have a lag in your training. I mean I had so much motivation on monday in the weight room I made a scene, but I got some work done.

My best event is the stone throw. I threw shot-put and discus in college and it was a pretty natural carry over for me. The weight for distance was a real favorite too because I have had a 56lb. for half a year and I have been training. I have not got to do sheaf in competition yet, but praticing it is a lot of fun.

Are you ranked in NASGAweb.com yet?

The sheaf is not always included in HG. I think it’s the most dislike event for some reason.

Our local paper profiled me for my first HG and I made the cover (very cool!).

In the article, I had said that “You workout, workout, workout simply just for the sake of working out. Competition is where you measure your progress and I had never really done that ('til now)”.

It’s so true though. An upcoming competition sure puts some snap into your olympic lifts!

(sorry to have kinda hijacked your thread)

After one competition, I am ranked 178th out of 242 in the NASGA “All Amatures”. My best event is the stone put aswell, worst is the hammer and caber. Keep up the good work guys.

Sean Campbell

[quote]Souperman wrote:
After one competition, I am ranked 178th out of 242 in the NASGA “All Amatures”. My best event is the stone put aswell, worst is the hammer and caber. Keep up the good work guys.

Sean Campbell[/quote]

Nice work, Sean.

I just checked, I’m in just plain “amateur”. (#113 of 313)

[quote]
Nice work, Sean.

I just checked, I’m in just plain “amateur”. (#113 of 313)[/quote]

Hey I checked for your stats and didn’t see you. What is your name so I can look you up that way.

Sean

Derek, disregard my last post. I was looking in this years results and then realize you were in last years results. You put up some nice numbers man.

No problem and thanks for the compliments!

I’ve got a throwing clinic this weekend. Can’t wait!

Gotta get that South African thing down.

I want to ask you guys something - what kind of relative strength do you have? HG are usually broken down into a few weight classes isn’t it? I’m curious what your weight and what your max lifts are in the big ones - squat, DL, cleans, snatch… anything with competition carry-over.

I can’t wait to start competing but I want some strength goals to shoot for before I focus on the competition. In the meantime, I’m starting a kinesiology degree in the fall at a school with great facilities so I will be able to begin training technique and really pushing my explosive training as well.

Thanks for any input!

-B

I found my own answer on another thread:

Of course, feel free to add your own opinions and thoughts. Cheers!

Certainly there is no maximum nor is there a minimum strength level. The olympic lifts, overhead lifts and overhead squats are key, though.

Whatever your current strength level, simply try to improve over time but don’t let that magical number on a given lift stop you from jumping in.

I’ve done that all my life and it makes the years fly by competition-less(not good!).

There’ll NEVER be an ideal number on ANY lift. Improving upon the past is the only answer.

[quote]derek wrote:
Are you ranked in NASGAweb.com yet?

The sheaf is not always included in HG. I think it’s the most dislike event for some reason.

Our local paper profiled me for my first HG and I made the cover (very cool!).

In the article, I had said that “You workout, workout, workout simply just for the sake of working out. Competition is where you measure your progress and I had never really done that ('til now)”.

It’s so true though. An upcoming competition sure puts some snap into your olympic lifts!

(sorry to have kinda hijacked your thread)[/quote]

Hey man,

Its cool I don’t think you can really high jack a thread about heavy athletics because we are basically talking about perfectly sane men wearing kilts and throwing things around.

As of this morning I was 19th among all amateurs. At the risk of being accused of internet smack talking I think that number will rise soon. I am totally addicted I threw the 56 in backyard yesterday after noon cause I was waiting on my buddies to call me up for dinner.

Thanks for the pics, they make me seem a little more normal.

[quote]BlakeAE wrote:
I want to ask you guys something - what kind of relative strength do you have? HG are usually broken down into a few weight classes isn’t it? I’m curious what your weight and what your max lifts are in the big ones - squat, DL, cleans, snatch… anything with competition carry-over.

I can’t wait to start competing but I want some strength goals to shoot for before I focus on the competition. In the meantime, I’m starting a kinesiology degree in the fall at a school with great facilities so I will be able to begin training technique and really pushing my explosive training as well.

Thanks for any input!

-B[/quote]

I think the biggest thing to consider when talking about heavy athletics is the weight you will be throwing are heavy and awkward to most people. They do have weight classes to some degree but in reality there will be classes based on level of skill more often than classes based on weight of competitors.

Some places have a 190lbs and under class but those guys have a lot of experience and probably can hang with most larger guys.

That being said, I myself go between 280 and 290 most of the time. I never really go much heavier than 315lbs on clean but I can manage it pretty easily for 4 or 5 reps on training days.

That is to say that to be explosive enough to compete in HG you need to be able to comfortably handle your body weight in the clean. For some that may seem like an oversimplification, but in reality if you can’t move your own weight how will you ever be able to generate enough force to move the impelements?

I would make that one of my strength goals for sure. I would also work a lot of grip strength because have to hold on to heavy things. As you mentioned there is no substitute for good solid plyometrics and running to get an explosive base started.
Good luck,
Ironball

[quote]ironball wrote:

Hey man,

Its cool I don’t think you can really high jack a thread about heavy athletics because we are basically talking about perfectly sane men wearing kilts and throwing things around.

As of this morning I was 19th among all amateurs. At the risk of being accused of internet smack talking I think that number will rise soon. I am totally addicted I threw the 56 in backyard yesterday after noon cause I was waiting on my buddies to call me up for dinner.

Thanks for the pics, they make me seem a little more normal.
[/quote]

Sane men? HA!

Great work on the ranking, SUPER JOB!!!

Can’t wait for my throwing clinic tomorrow. It’s my turn to sit back and be taught a thing or two!

I have been thinking about starting the “OFFICIAL HIGHLAND GAMES THREAD”.

Go ahead and do it if it’s a good idea. Gotta get back to work.

Just want to say nice work all
Phill

[quote]ironball wrote:
That is to say that to be explosive enough to compete in HG you need to be able to comfortably handle your body weight in the clean. For some that may seem like an oversimplification, but in reality if you can’t move your own weight how will you ever be able to generate enough force to move the impelements?

I would make that one of my strength goals for sure. I would also work a lot of grip strength because have to hold on to heavy things. As you mentioned there is no substitute for good solid plyometrics and running to get an explosive base started.
Good luck,
Ironball

[/quote]

Thanks Ironball. Its another point of reference to consider. I’m currently pushing up to a short term goal weight of 190lbs. When you talk about handling bodyweight, you’re talking a hell of a lot more weight than me, but we’re moving the same implements on the field.

I think thats why us lighter guys who have been bulking and strength training are more often looking for “starting points”.

I’m giving myself points for best attempt to hijack this thread now. Apologies, I wasn’t thinking at the time. Should have started a new one.

Also - congrats to anyone who stepped on to the the field for the first time. I can’t wait to get there myself.