Feeling Certain Muscles

This is good advice. I also like to work “hard to feel” muscles like delts by isolating the top and bottom halves of the ROM, and to keep constant tension throughout the set. Higher reps are also usually necessary since the traps will tend to take over if the weight is too heavy, but the fibers in the lateral and rear delts seem to require a great deal of TUT to be sufficiently activated.

Chest supported DB swings (see John Meadows shoulder training article) are great for the bottom half of the ROM for rear delts. I’d never experienced soreness (or such an intense, direct pump) in those muscles before trying that exercise. I do basically the same movement with standing DB LRs and it works equally well.

I think band pullaparts suck as an isolation exercise, and they really do nothing for my rear delts. You lose tension completely when the band is stretched out.

Rows are tricky to get the MMC on because most people are taught to pull the weight straight up to their rib cage. Really you need to try to put the DB or machine handle in your hip pocket to really get a good lat contraction. It also helps to keep constant tension by doing a pretty slow negative on every rep, and not straightening your elbows all the way.

This main idea (incomplete ROM to isolate a target muscle) was heresy to me for many years. I’ve progressed quite a bit since I let go of that dogma.

1 Like