Even More Movies You've Watched This Week II

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
Big Kahuna could you please make this your next avatar?[/quote]

There you go my man, actually real excited for Episode 7. Not like “I am your father” scene excited, but kind of like Luke meets Yoda on Dagobah and does a Rocky montage excited.

You seen any good movies lately csulli? I’m working myself to death trying to beg for a release copy of “The Act Of Killing”. I also really want to watch Linklater’s Before Midnight some time soon, but I promised myself I’d watch the first two again for comparison’s sake.

I’m really liking the look of “The Conjuring” too, everything about the trailer and director tells me it shouldn’t be great, but people are actually really loving it. Been a while since I’ve seen a truly special horror film, maybe this could break the drought. Really want to see Fruitvale Station too since it pulled in all those commendations at Sundance.[/quote]
Haha awesome.

Last movie I saw was Pacific Rim. Absolutely loved it. Some cliche plot stuff, but hey, Charlie from Always Sunny as a manic scientist and the breathtaking graphics and fight scenes were more than enough for me.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
Big Kahuna could you please make this your next avatar?[/quote]

There you go my man, actually real excited for Episode 7. Not like “I am your father” scene excited, but kind of like Luke meets Yoda on Dagobah and does a Rocky montage excited.

You seen any good movies lately csulli? I’m working myself to death trying to beg for a release copy of “The Act Of Killing”. I also really want to watch Linklater’s Before Midnight some time soon, but I promised myself I’d watch the first two again for comparison’s sake.

I’m really liking the look of “The Conjuring” too, everything about the trailer and director tells me it shouldn’t be great, but people are actually really loving it. Been a while since I’ve seen a truly special horror film, maybe this could break the drought. Really want to see Fruitvale Station too since it pulled in all those commendations at Sundance.[/quote]
Haha awesome.

Last movie I saw was Pacific Rim. Absolutely loved it. Some cliche plot stuff, but hey, Charlie from Always Sunny as a manic scientist and the breathtaking graphics and fight scenes were more than enough for me.[/quote]

T’were real fun Pacific Rim. I enjoy robot alien boxing matches a lot. Oh yeah the plot was a little dry, but I can let it slide on not being all “Inception” seeing as action is the most important part here. I’m glad that it wasn’t really, really stupid though, like enough to ruin it. I like Charlie Day, only realised a couple days ago he plays the purple wool-monster from Monsters University (which is pretty good, not Monsters Inc. good, but pretty good).

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
We’ll come to the right end point when you get banned again.[/quote]

?

[/quote]

Don’t worry about it. Embrace the troll with open arms. [/quote]

What was his previous username?[/quote]

Already posted it. [/quote]

Now I see what’s happened, you think I’m HoustonGuy reincarnate because you took one of my earlier posts as mirroring his, but with a sudden interest in movies. Unless HoustonGuy was nineteen years old at the time and has a very shitty overhead press, I can assure you I’m not HoustonGuy. Or any other user, but I don’t remember you mentioning others.

I’m kind of interested in which post triggered this, as I don’t believe I said anything that couldn’t be interpreted as a reasonable personal opinion of mine as opposed to a jab for arguments.[/quote]

How do you know so much about Houstonguy?

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

?

[/quote]

Now I see what’s happened, you think I’m HoustonGuy reincarnate because you took one of my earlier posts as mirroring his, but with a sudden interest in movies. Unless HoustonGuy was nineteen years old at the time and has a very shitty overhead press, I can assure you I’m not HoustonGuy. Or any other user, but I don’t remember you mentioning others.

I’m kind of interested in which post triggered this, as I don’t believe I said anything that couldn’t be interpreted as a reasonable personal opinion of mine as opposed to a jab for arguments.[/quote]

[/quote]

Because I lurked the forums for a year before I decided to join. Been in the gym since late 2011 and I’ve been perusing the site since early 2012. I don’t know all too much about him, but I saw his posts pop up every now and again.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because I lurked the forums for a year before I decided to join. Been in the gym since late 2011 and I’ve been perusing the site since early 2012. I don’t know all too much about him, but I saw his posts pop up every now and again.[/quote]

So you dpn’t know anything about Houstonguy .But you know just enough that you’re HG with a sudden interest in movies.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because I lurked the forums for a year before I decided to join. Been in the gym since late 2011 and I’ve been perusing the site since early 2012. I don’t know all too much about him, but I saw his posts pop up every now and again.[/quote]

So you dpn’t know anything about Houstonguy .But you know just enough that you’re HG with a sudden interest in movies.[/quote]

Did you ever see him talk extensively about movies? If you hadn’t, then it’s highly unlikely that I would have either. I remember him being open to arguments over mundane and unsubstantiated logic, but I don’t recall any of them ever digging deep into film.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

?

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you dpn’t know anything about Houstonguy .But you know just enough that you’re HG with a sudden interest in movies.[/quote]

Did you ever see him talk extensively about movies? If you hadn’t, then it’s highly unlikely that I would have either. I remember him being open to arguments over mundane and unsubstantiated logic, but I don’t recall any of them ever digging deep into film.[/quote]

Selective memory FTW.

Richard Linklater’s Before Midnight

Disclaimer: Because of the nature of the plot and events of the film, there may be a lot of necessary spoilers included in this review in order to pick it apart properly, for those who have seen the previous two and have not seen the third, I would maybe recommend staying away from this review until afterwards and going in relatively blind for the first viewing.

Before Midnight is Richard Linklater’s third film in a recurrent series of a film every nine years since 1995 centring on a couple called Jesse and Celine and the progression of their livelihood and relationship at various stages. Before Midnight takes place eighteen years into their relationship after they have had children together and are taking a family vacation to visit friends in Greece, and centres on the themes of long-term commitment, relationship experience, families and the situation their love has found itself in.

Ever since I saw Before Sunrise and Before Sunset in 2004, I’ve been waiting and hoping ecstatically for the third film to arise, and finally today I was able to see it. There is something unique about Linklater’s series in that it doesn’t follow the formulae for a mushy romance and a grand, mind-blowing achievement of love, but prefers to stay close to the authenticity of love, and uses Jesse and Celine as a vessel to show the progression and path that true love may take on the journey between such a couple. The first film focuses on the naive and unwaveringly optimistic view of love from a love-drunk young couple in a circumstance of grand romantic opportunity; the second shows them both in a state of nostalgia and the realisation that their previous experience together was the best thing they had ever experienced, and the risks they take to continue that kind of living; the third however, expresses the darkest and most poignant truths of long-term commitment, the “ticking time bomb” of the couple realising that the positives have to come with negatives, and the arrival of those negatives is entirely out of their control, as hard as they try to fight it from happening. To see their plight in trying to rekindle what once was is both horrifying and saddening, but the beauty of knowing that they try is all worth it in the end.

The beauty of this series has always been it’s intelligence, that Jesse and Celine are not only a couple that are fortunate enough to find themselves in a position of love, but wise enough to want to question it, and their growth together through it. This film is not so much a family drama as an introspection on the jaded decay of love matured and the dissolution of the romantic spontaneity of what once was into the monotonous habit of what now is. It is tragic to see that even a couple so indebted and bound together as our protagonists cannot escape the inevitability of a relationship out of it’s prime and all of the arguments, fears and regrets that arise from it. At a time when the pilot light feels like it may finally be dying out and the uphill struggle in an effort to keep it aflame, Linklater shows us the deepest abysses of love as well as it’s highest heights, but never strays from the truth, the tough truth of how things are and the general consistency in how it takes it’s forms. Before Midnight is not afraid to show the horrors of how a bad circumstance can burn love to death, but not from wild and naive roots, but from a place that shocks us far, far more, because of how we know we may have to face it one day, and how likely it is for us to meet it. There’s something magical about every film that comes along because of the character progression, where it slowly turns from emotion to logic and the subjects of conversation are changed dramatically through that. Linklater’s ability to keep the idea fresh and pertinent for three films is incredible and a wonderful achievement on not only his part, but on Hawke and Delpy’s as well for helping to write the script.

I enjoy that these films don’t need to go to fantastic locations all of the time (especially so in the later ones), and can get by on one running scene filled with an incredible conversation on one particular part of their circumstances, aspirations for the future or past lives. The chemistry has been building and building since the beginning and it culminates in a fantastic display here of true authenticity, Jesse and Celine’s situation feels so real that there’s a state of awkwardness and horror in how the events play out, and their dialogue together. I remain truly shocked by the immersion that both of the actors instill in me, and while I may not be able to relate personally to most of the situations that they are facing, I understand their plight and their growing wisdom in a way that is immeasurably helpful to the idea of love and commitment, and one that I imagine most people would be the better for having seen.

This film is not like the others, it is similar, but at the same time incredibly different altogether. I love each part for it’s faithfulness to a stage of love, but I feel that Before Midnight may have been one of my favourites out of the three, if not my favourite. To see the interpretation of love through a matured mind and wise eyes makes this stand to be one of the best romantic films of all time, and to see it start from naive and love-struck beginnings makes it one of the best (if not the best) romantic film series of all times. For a long time I have been waiting for Before Midnight, and it delivered on a greater level than even I expected it to. This will likely be one of my favourites of the year, and for all veterans of love, I feel it would be a necessary viewing.

[quote]Gogeta4X wrote:
Justice League : The Flashpoint Paradox

Good movie, was not expecting as much gore as there was but recommend it. Worth a watch.

[/quote]

I just started watching these DC comic movies, they are fucking amazing.

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]Gogeta4X wrote:

Good movie, was not expecting as much gore as there was but recommend it. Worth a watch.

[/quote]

I just started watching these DC comic movies, they are fucking amazing.[/quote]

Except for that last Superman one.

Other than that, Wonder Woman shocked me by actually being pretty interesting also.

The Wolverine - 4/6 Claws.

It’s nice for a comic book movie to feel small and self contained and not some lame story about saving a city, country or planet.

Surprised at how much stuff went down in this movie, you think Wolverine is invincible, not soooo much anymore.

PLUS the mid credits scene has me so fucking stoked for Days of Future Past it’s unreal + Viper is smoking hot.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]Gogeta4X wrote:

[/quote]

I just started watching these DC comic movies, they are fucking amazing.[/quote]

Other than that, Wonder Woman shocked me by actually being pretty interesting also.[/quote]

Are you talking about Superman:Unbound? Also what other studio Besides Warner Brothers Animation makes these Comic movies? I can’t get enough of them.

[quote]Gogeta4X wrote:

[/quote]

oHh and SPOILERR!!

Skinny super man is fuckinnggg weird looking, thank god he didn’t have that much screen time else I would have been extremely uncomfortable watching it, ITS JUST SO WEIRD O_O A SKINNY SUPERMAN

Revisited L.A. Confidential today after flicking through a list of 90’s cinematic greats, still as incredible now as it was the first time around, perhaps a little better even seeing the pieces fall into place and already knowing the end-game, throwing this in to jolt everybody’s memory lest they be looking for a nice little noir thriller on a lonely drunken night.

Watched Spring Breakers yesterday, I wanted to like it because I like Harmony Korine flicks, but I found it un-watchable.

On a plane yesterday I watched the Steve Carell, Jim Carey Magician movie, I actually was entertained, some good actors with Alan Arkin, Buscemi and James Gandolfini. I new it was killed by the critics, but for an airplane movie it was a good time waster.

semi-spoiler alert:

@optheta yea the DC movies are great even though it was weird seeing a crackhead superman hehe and wonderwoman getting it on with aquaman

@mattyxl that magician movie was turrible like charles barkley would say but the girl was hot and that always earns points in my book. I’m 5 minutes into spring breakers and all I’ve seen so far are boobies and ex disney channel stars drawing penises in class…

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Watched Spring Breakers yesterday, I wanted to like it because I like Harmony Korine flicks, but I found it un-watchable.

On a plane yesterday I watched the Steve Carell, Jim Carey Magician movie, I actually was entertained, some good actors with Alan Arkin, Buscemi and James Gandolfini. I new it was killed by the critics, but for an airplane movie it was a good time waster.

[/quote]

I liked Spring Breakers, Franco’s Character is sublime and that “Spring Break Forever” quote they have playing throughout the movie is oddly mesmerizing.

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]Gogeta4X wrote:

[/quote]

Other than that, Wonder Woman shocked me by actually being pretty interesting also.[/quote]

Are you talking about Superman:Unbound? Also what other studio Besides Warner Brothers Animation makes these Comic movies? I can’t get enough of them.
[/quote]

Check out YOUNG JUSTICE. This is by far the best animated series created since Avatar the last Air bender…and they fucking CANCELED it because it was geared towards older teens and adults…bu they aired during kiddie times.

That series makes every single DC comic movie I’ve seen pail in comparison…especially by the end of the second season.

The Wolverine (the sequel)…

Well done and worthy of watching. The plot is somewhat scattered in my opinion, a couple of themes going on here, but still entertaining.

Jackman looks more imposing and impressive with his physique compared to the first Wolverine movie.

If you watch it, keep watching after the credits. There is another Marvel scene to follow the credits, with some hints of what is to come later.

I just watched a movie called “The Cloth”, supposedly starring Danny Trejo. You thought The Happening was bad? You thought the Epic, Disaster, Date, Meet the Spartans series of movies was bad? Oh you love the Wrong Turn movies and have seen many shitty B horror movies all the way from Hatchet to Troll 2? Be my guest. Check this filth out. Makes Troll 2 look like fucking Ben Hur.