Even More Movies You've Watched This Week II

Roybot sated:

No. Haven’t read the book but I know enough about the style that they could’ve done it in a movie. Creepshow, Cat’s Eyes, Bag of Bones and the old Hammer/ Amicus stuff were literature based portmanteau stuff. Plenty of movies have done it before.

Had to make this at the same time as me and steal my thunder didn’t you? We have to stick to the gentleman’s code and have a round of bare-knuckle fisticuffs until knockout now, see what you’ve done Derek? Will meet you on the fields at noon…you scoundrel.

I unknowingly watched “Desperately Seeking Susan” on Saturday. It was extremely confusing and made worst by the fact that I was drunk.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
I unknowingly watched “Desperately Seeking Susan” on Saturday. It was extremely confusing and made worst by the fact that I was drunk.[/quote]

I actually kind of enjoy that film. I always had a thing for Madonna’s music after her theme for “At Close Range” (great Walken/Penn movie that not a lot of people ever really talk about, has some real good scenes that I love a lot.) and it stuck through with Desperately Seeking Susan. Into The Groove is my jam, really. It’s one of those ones that I hate to like because it somewhat diminishes my credibility, but I can’t deal without dat Madonna music.

I watched the most recent Universal Soldier film. It was straight to DVD and it was the best thing. So violent it could not be rated.

Jamin Winan’s Ink

Ink is an incredibly low budget feature film (250,000 dollars to cover everything) by director Jamin Winans, but one that I feel is intensely underrated after seeing for the first time. Winans has only made two films as of yet, 11:59 being his first (receiving generally bad reviews, though I can’t state my opinion of it as I have not seen it yet) and Ink being his second made some years afterwards in 2009. For Winans to come from such small beginnings, with an unsuccessful and unknown first movie, only to come back and made an also largely unknown, yet arguably successful, second effort.

Ink is a story about a secret organization group of dream-givers and nightmare-givers invisible and unable to be heard or noticed by the human race. The “good” team are a group of storytellers that attempt to alter people’s lives for the better through the creation of positive dream environments in the minds of people around the globe as they sleep. Also in existence is an alternate group, that aim to control the human race through fear and anxiousness by showing them through nightmares their biggest weaknesses and hatred. Both forces exist in somewhat equal measure, with the storytellers taking a more “Star Wars Rebels” kind of demeanour, but fight for control over light and dark is constant. The story concerns both a man in the real world who has to deal with the aftermath of his daughter falling into a deep and very serious coma while in her sleep, and the regret over not having treated her as good as he should have while he reflects on the risk of losing her forever. In the alternate dream-state, it is revealed that the reason the daughter has fallen into the coma is because she has been abducted by a lowly peon of the nightmare-givers and locked deeply in her dreamstate, having fought off the storytellers and now on the run to deliver her to the organization for the chance to become a powerful figure in the organization and rid himself of his hideous scars and deformities (a suspected consequence of committing suicide in the real world and being thrust into the afterlife/dream-world with a deformed figure). The film concerns both the emotional and moral anguish of the father in the real world, oblivious to the real extent of the story, and the storyteller’s intent to recover the young girl and not lose her forever to the organization.

Even with it’s low budget, the film is brilliantly made and there are some scenes that I enjoy more than many much higher budgeted and marketed films, even some in the hands of experienced and commended film-makers. It has a raw sense of passion in it’s film-making for the director’s intent to create something of substance, out of no interest in popularity or financial gain, but rather the ambition to tell his story in the best way that he can allow himself to and craft a film that mirrors that. The film plays back and forth between emotions, action, progression of the story and character introductions, and does a good job of not cutting too quickly or too slowly into these. There are times when the film’s pacing is slowed considerably and cruises along, but always leaves that room for an insightful perspective on the film’s back-narrative and the more subtle inclusions of the storyline.

There are some scenes that are rather ridiculous, and one character in particular that I grew to hate from his first moments on-screen (about 20 minutes in) up until his big turnaround towards the end (hour and a half or so), something I feel should have been looked over and fixed. While most of the more bizarre scenes have a reason to make their appearance, it is not really stated until the end and very often I’m left thinking of how unintentionally hilarious they are in the moment.

I very much enjoy most of the characters, and for a film with such low costs and obscure casting, Ink has a great script with admirable dialogue and the acting was much better than I would have expected going in. The titular character, Ink, was a stand-out for me and I very much enjoyed his role. The stylization of both parties was nice, with a normal and kind of enlightening, peaceful vibe to the storytellers; with the nightmare organization taking on a much creepier and unnerving tone.

In particular I was astounded by the ending, while the film does drag through certain areas, the ending was a breath of fresh air and I thought it was absolutely wonderful and very well implemented, I would have been ready to like this film and move on, but the ending salvaged itself away from that and I’m sure I’ll remember this as a finely crafted piece of low budget art from here on out.

In short, the film is imperfect and there are some absolutely brilliant scenes, maybe often overshadowed by some lacklustre ones, but for the film’s budget and the alleged difference in quality between this and his debut, I really commend Winans for what he was able to pull out of this and upon having seen the whole production through, I genuinely enjoyed the final result and would definitely recommend it for a viewing. Probably very under-rated and undeservedly obscure, Ink is something to look out for if you’re ever in the mood for a low budget kind of “student film” that is very passionately made and has a lot of admirable virtues that are embarrassingly unincorporated into the grander spectacles of a mainstream film.

In retrospect, I may even be downplaying this film on it’s brilliance, as it is indeed inspiring to see something be made with such inherent quality under more humble circumstances. A must see, as I expect anyone that sees this will be pleasantly surprised by what they manage to take away from it.

(After the deletion of my thread I expected this to be lost in the ether, but I admirably concede defeat to Derek now that I have it back. Thank you Mr. Phoenix mod for taking the time to message this back to me, it was very kind of you and I am grateful. Nice guy that Phoenix guy, brightened my slow and prolonged day.)

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
Had to make this at the same time as me and steal my thunder didn’t you? We have to stick to the gentleman’s code and have a round of bare-knuckle fisticuffs until knockout now, see what you’ve done Derek? Will meet you on the fields at noon…you scoundrel.[/quote]
K

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
Had to make this at the same time as me and steal my thunder didn’t you? We have to stick to the gentleman’s code and have a round of bare-knuckle fisticuffs until knockout now, see what you’ve done Derek? Will meet you on the fields at noon…you scoundrel.[/quote]
K[/quote]

Why, I oughta!

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
K[/quote]

Why, I oughta![/quote]
Im here

I watched the movie “snitch” the other day…i was suprising happy with the film…the rock is an interesting character in alot of his films

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:
I watched the movie “snitch” the other day…i was suprising happy with the film…the rock is an interesting character in alot of his films[/quote]

Damn, I was torn between Snitch and Broken City. Went with Broken City and was disappointed :frowning:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:
I watched the movie “snitch” the other day…i was suprising happy with the film…the rock is an interesting character in alot of his films[/quote]

Damn, I was torn between Snitch and Broken City. Went with Broken City and was disappointed :([/quote]

I watched part of that movie last week, it was really hard to get into, and I’m a big mark walberg fan (and russell crowe) It just didnt have the umf that you’d usually get from those guys films. But i would definitly recommend that you go and rent snitch, it was suprisingly good

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

Damn, I was torn between Snitch and Broken City. Went with Broken City and was disappointed :([/quote]

I watched part of that movie last week, it was really hard to get into, and I’m a big mark walberg fan (and russell crowe) It just didnt have the umf that you’d usually get from those guys films. But i would definitly recommend that you go and rent snitch, it was suprisingly good[/quote]

Ya, I donno it just could of been so much better. The entire plot line with his girlfried was boring and pointless. It was just filler I guess. The whole time I’m just waiting for the pace to quicken and it just didn’t happen.

I like Marki Mark and Crowe too, but their last couple of films haven’t been good imo. I didn’t like Contraband, it was boring. Ted was funny, I’ll give him that. Oh and the other guys was funny too. My favorite Walburg (sp?) movie is Shooter though. Just a straight shoot em up, which I’ll take everytime. The last movie I saw with Crowe in it was the one where his wife is convicted of murder when she’s innocent. The next 48 hours or something like that, again I thought it was boring. The last movie I liked with him in it was probable a Beautiful Mind. That was what 15 years ago?

I’ll grab Snitch this weekend. I’m also a huge fan of the Rock. Faster is my favorite film of his.

I’m seeing Superman too! Then I can finally read the superman thread…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

I watched part of that movie last week, it was really hard to get into, and I’m a big mark walberg fan (and russell crowe) It just didnt have the umf that you’d usually get from those guys films. But i would definitly recommend that you go and rent snitch, it was suprisingly good[/quote]

Ya, I donno it just could of been so much better. The entire plot line with his girlfried was boring and pointless. It was just filler I guess. The whole time I’m just waiting for the pace to quicken and it just didn’t happen.

I like Marki Mark and Crowe too, but their last couple of films haven’t been good imo. I didn’t like Contraband, it was boring. Ted was funny, I’ll give him that. Oh and the other guys was funny too. My favorite Walburg (sp?) movie is Shooter though. Just a straight shoot em up, which I’ll take everytime. The last movie I saw with Crowe in it was the one where his wife is convicted of murder when she’s innocent. The next 48 hours or something like that, again I thought it was boring. The last movie I liked with him in it was probable a Beautiful Mind. That was what 15 years ago?

I’ll grab Snitch this weekend. I’m also a huge fan of the Rock. Faster is my favorite film of his.

I’m seeing Superman too! Then I can finally read the superman thread… [/quote]

definately agree with you about shooter, that movie is soooo badass…and i believe the name of the russell crowe movie you’re talking about is the next 3 days, i like that one too…also have you seen pain and gain yet? since we’re talking about mark walburg and the rock, that movie was funny as shit

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I like Marki Mark and Crowe too, but their last couple of films haven’t been good imo. I didn’t like Contraband, it was boring. Ted was funny, I’ll give him that. Oh and the other guys was funny too. My favorite Walburg (sp?) movie is Shooter though. Just a straight shoot em up, which I’ll take everytime. The last movie I saw with Crowe in it was the one where his wife is convicted of murder when she’s innocent. The next 48 hours or something like that, again I thought it was boring. The last movie I liked with him in it was probable a Beautiful Mind. That was what 15 years ago? [/quote]

I really enjoyed The Fighter, but aside from that Marky Mark’s been very unlucky in his sign ons since The Departed, with only a couple of average to good ones amongst a sea of shit. The Fighter was really very good though, Christian Bale too was magnificent as Dickie Ecklund.

For Crowe I think the last movie I remember enjoying from him was State Of Play from 2009, it’s an American Political thriller film based on a British political thriller BBC miniseries, and I thought they pulled it off quite nicely. The 3:10 to Yuma remake was brilliant also, with incredible performances by both Crowe and Bale.

There’s State Of Play, I’d recommend it if you’re into the idea.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
The 3:10 to Yuma remake was brilliant.[/quote]

That’s exactly why I’m hopeful for The Wolverine :wink:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

I’m seeing Superman too! Then I can finally read the superman thread… [/quote]

definately agree with you about shooter, that movie is soooo badass…and i believe the name of the russell crowe movie you’re talking about is the next 3 days, i like that one too…also have you seen pain and gain yet? since we’re talking about mark walburg and the rock, that movie was funny as shit[/quote]

Next 3 days, that’s it. I can see how some would like it. It just wasn’t for me. I haven’t seen Pain and Gain, but it’s on my waitlist!

Loved fighter.

I also enjoyed 3:10 to Yuma, but it’s not my favorite Crowe or Bale movie.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
The 3:10 to Yuma remake was brilliant.[/quote]

That’s exactly why I’m hopeful for The Wolverine ;)[/quote]

The preview looks pretty good.

Edit: Also I think people are far to critical of comic book movies. I think I’ve liked every comic book movie since the early 2000s [with the one exception of Hulk w/what’s his nuts and Connolly (sp?)]

Watched “Never Let Me Go” the other night and was really impressed. Superficially it’s a somewhat typical love triangle movie in which girl A loves boy B but boy B ends up with girl C. But there’s a twist because of what they are destined for that adds a whole new dimension to it. The acting is also well above average and Carey Mulligan is especially believable in her role. Most certainly worth checking out.

I’m hesitant to talk to much about the plot because it’s more fun going in not necessarily knowing and it’s too easy to give it away.

james