End of Days

[quote]haney1 wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]haney1 wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]haney1 wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:
I recently watched a show on the history channel that was about the end of the world. For centuries, people have attempted to predict when the world will end. Now, as mere mortals, no one can truly know.

Jesus speaks in Matthew 24:7-14 of the build-up to this. He says:

"For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places.
All these are the beginnings of sorrows.
Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.
And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another.
Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.
And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.
But he who endures to the end will be saved."

How many people think we are in the end of days? [/quote]

sigh honestly I have to say that is a bad interpretation of this passage. Just before it the disciples ask him when with the temple be destroyed and this is Jesus response. To attribute it to anything outside that requires a strong justification.
[/quote]

Matthew 24:3 NIV

"As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

[/quote]

and? When will this happen is concerning the end of the temple. The end of the age most likely is being used in the sense that the temple age would end.

G165
�??�??�??�?�±�??�??�??�?�¹�??�??�??�??�??�??�?�½
aioÃ???n
ahee-ohn’
From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future): - age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end). Compare G5550.

I also wouldn’t hang my case on one phrase.
[/quote]

I was referring to -“what will be the sign of your coming”-in response to only attributing the passage to the question of the temple. It seems the question was more than that.

[/quote]

Here is a question for you. Why would the disciples who clearly didn’t understand the following

1. Christ was to be crucified
  2. would ascend into Heaven

Think that Jesus was coming again?

You do know that the word used for coming can also meaning presence and is used that way in the NT?

G3952
�??�?�±�??�?�¿�??�??�?�¹�??�?�±
parousia
par-oo-see’-ah
From the present participle of G3918; a being near, that is, advent (often, return; specifically of Christ to punish Jerusalem, or finally the wicked); (by implication) physical aspect: - coming, presence.

also cross that with the olivet discourse in mark

Mar 13:3 And as he sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately,
Mar 13:4 “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are about to be accomplished?”

or Luke

Luk 21:5 And while some were speaking of the temple, how it was adorned with noble stones and offerings, he said,
Luk 21:6 “As for these things that you see, the days will come when there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.”
Luk 21:7 And they asked him, “Teacher, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when these things are about to take place?”

Now when these other two gospels were written they clearly had knowledge of the ascension and claimed return of Jesus, yet neither of them even care to act like the disciples were asking when are you returning. Why should we force that upon the text of matthew?

[/quote]

Understood and good points. Mark definitely reads differently in that regard. I do notice that further along though in Jesus’ answer to them he is clearly explaining his return. He tells them that during the desolation brought by the abomination not to be deceived by fakes. Following the desolation is darkness and the stars falling and at that time they will see The Son of Man coming in clouds sending His angels to gather His elect.

I agree that the disciples may not have know what they were asking. Perhaps the temple was symbolic. Jesus used this question, as he knew the real meaning behind it, to tell them of His coming. It seems odd he would go into some detail of His coming if the discussion was only about the physical temple and it’s eventual ruin. Thoughts?

Mar 14-26

14"When you see ‘the abomination that causes desolation’[a]standing where it does not belongâ??let the reader understandâ??then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 15Let no one on the roof of his house go down or enter the house to take anything out. 16Let no one in the field go back to get his cloak. 17How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 18Pray that this will not take place in winter, 19because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning, when God created the world, until nowâ??and never to be equaled again. 20If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them. 21At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ[c]!’ or, ‘Look, there he is!’ do not believe it. 22For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the electâ??if that were possible. 23So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.

24"But in those days, following that distress,
" ‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
25the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’[d]

26"At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. 27And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.

The lolz won’t stop.

@ “care to state a case or are we only graced with your drive by comment with no substance.”

look, is there any way I could make you just consider the possibility that the book is men’s work (and the implication, that, you know, it’s largely a self-sustaining sham) ?

No? So why bother?

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
The lolz won’t stop.

@ “care to state a case or are we only graced with your drive by comment with no substance.”

look, is there any way I could make you just consider the possibility that the book is men’s work (and the implication, that, you know, it’s largely a self-sustaining sham) ?

No? So why bother?

[/quote]

LOL…

So why bother posting in these threads at all if it is a lost cause?

You opinion doesn’t bother me, and I doubt you actually know something about the topic that I don’t, but if you did I would be interested to learn about it. I would also like sources. You don’t know my stance on this topic, so why assume I am not aware of the problems? Why assume that I will dismiss all criticism? I am not a blind follower of someones apologetic material.

In the past you have posted some interesting claims that I would have enjoyed having the source for them. The same applies here.

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]haney1 wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]haney1 wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]haney1 wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:
I recently watched a show on the history channel that was about the end of the world. For centuries, people have attempted to predict when the world will end. Now, as mere mortals, no one can truly know.

"For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places.
Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.
And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another.

sigh honestly I have to say that is a bad interpretation of this passage. Just before it the disciples ask him when with the temple be destroyed and this is Jesus response. To attribute it to anything outside that requires a strong justification.
[/quote]

Matthew 24:3 NIV

"As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

[/quote]

and? When will this happen is concerning the end of the temple. The end of the age most likely is being used in the sense that the temple age would end.

G165
�??�??�??�??�??�?�±�??�??½
aioÃ???n
ahee-ohn’
From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future): - age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end). Compare G5550.

I also wouldn’t hang my case on one phrase.
[/quote]

I was referring to -“what will be the sign of your coming”-in response to only attributing the passage to the question of the temple. It seems the question was more than that.

[/quote]

Here is a question for you. Why would the disciples who clearly didn’t understand the following

1. Christ was to be crucified
  2. would ascend into Heaven

Think that Jesus was coming again?

You do know that the word used for coming can also meaning presence and is used that way in the NT?

G3952
�??�??�??�?�±�??�??�??�?�¿�??�??�??�??�?�¹�??�??�??�?�±
parousia
par-oo-see’-ah
From the present participle of G3918; a being near, that is, advent (often, return; specifically of Christ to punish Jerusalem, or finally the wicked); (by implication) physical aspect: - coming, presence.

also cross that with the olivet discourse in mark

Mar 13:3 And as he sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately,
Mar 13:4 “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are about to be accomplished?”

or Luke

Luk 21:5 And while some were speaking of the temple, how it was adorned with noble stones and offerings, he said,
Luk 21:6 “As for these things that you see, the days will come when there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.”
Luk 21:7 And they asked him, “Teacher, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when these things are about to take place?”

Now when these other two gospels were written they clearly had knowledge of the ascension and claimed return of Jesus, yet neither of them even care to act like the disciples were asking when are you returning. Why should we force that upon the text of matthew?

[/quote]

Understood and good points. Mark definitely reads differently in that regard. I do notice that further along though in Jesus’ answer to them he is clearly explaining his return. He tells them that during the desolation brought by the abomination not to be deceived by fakes. Following the desolation is darkness and the stars falling and at that time they will see The Son of Man coming in clouds sending His angels to gather His elect.

I agree that the disciples may not have know what they were asking. Perhaps the temple was symbolic. Jesus used this question, as he knew the real meaning behind it, to tell them of His coming. It seems odd he would go into some detail of His coming if the discussion was only about the physical temple and it’s eventual ruin. Thoughts?

Mar 14-26

14"When you see ‘the abomination that causes desolation’[a]standing where it does not belongÃ??Ã?¢??let the reader understandÃ??Ã?¢??then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 15Let no one on the roof of his house go down or enter the house to take anything out. 16Let no one in the field go back to get his cloak. 17How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 18Pray that this will not take place in winter, 19because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning, when God created the world, until nowÃ??Ã?¢??and never to be equaled again. 20If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them. 21At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ[c]!’ or, ‘Look, there he is!’ do not believe it. 22For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the electÃ??Ã?¢??if that were possible. 23So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.

24"But in those days, following that distress,
" ‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
25the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’[d]

26"At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. 27And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.
[/quote]

Why do you think the son of man coming on coulds means an earthly return? You do know that phrase is used many times on the OT and is almost always used as a term of judgement upon a nation. As well as the dark apocalyptic language that comes before it. Gathering the elect is a reference to protecting those elect. You do know that the prohpecy against the temple allowed the Christians to flee before the Roman army attacked, and that it is believed all Christians had left the city?

G3952
�??�??�??�?�±�??�??�??�?�¿�??�??�??�??�?�¹�??�??�??�?�±
parousia
par-oo-see’-ah

my emphasis added.

[quote]haney1 wrote:
Why do you think the son of man coming on coulds means an earthly return? You do know that phrase is used many times on the OT and is almost always used as a term of judgement upon a nation. As well as the dark apocalyptic language that comes before it. Gathering the elect is a reference to protecting those elect. You do know that the prohpecy against the temple allowed the Christians to flee before the Roman army attacked, and that it is believed all Christians had left the city?[/quote]

Maybe I just read it differently. I am certainly willing to entertain it differently and to be sure, not trying to prove you wrong, rather just discussing. In luke chapter 21, it seems to be talking about more than just “a nation” but the whole earth.

Luke 21: 25-34

25"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

29He told them this parable: "Look at the fig tree and all the trees. 30When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near. 31Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.

32"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 33Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

34"Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. 35For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. 36Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

Emphasis mine.

[quote]G3952
�??�??�??�?�±�??�??�?
parousia
par-oo-see’-ah

my emphasis added.
[/quote]

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]haney1 wrote:
Why do you think the son of man coming on coulds means an earthly return? You do know that phrase is used many times on the OT and is almost always used as a term of judgement upon a nation. As well as the dark apocalyptic language that comes before it. Gathering the elect is a reference to protecting those elect. You do know that the prohpecy against the temple allowed the Christians to flee before the Roman army attacked, and that it is believed all Christians had left the city?[/quote]

Maybe I just read it differently. I am certainly willing to entertain it differently and to be sure, not trying to prove you wrong, rather just discussing. In luke chapter 21, it seems to be talking about more than just “a nation” but the whole earth.

25"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

29He told them this parable: "Look at the fig tree and all the trees. 30When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near. 31Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.

32"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 33Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

34"Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. 35For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. 36Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

Emphasis mine.

[quote]G3952
Ã???Ã???Ã???Ã???Ã???Ã??Ã?±Ã???±
parousia
par-oo-see’-ah

my emphasis added.
[/quote]
[/quote]

So to your first bolded section. That word for world refers specifically to the Roman Empire

G3625
�¿�¹�?�º�¿�?�¼�µ�?�½�·
oikoumeneÃ??
oy-kou-men’-ay
Feminine participle present passive of G3611 (as noun, by implication of G1093); land, that is, the (terrene part of the) globe; specifically the Roman empire: - earth, world.

To your second bolded section.
When Rome attacked the early church at that time was under going many persecutions

Which is found earlier in the chapter here
"Luk 21:12 But before all this they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors for my name’s sake. "

So this is a reference to a salvation from that current persecution. Nero had died and that put a stop to some of it, but Jerusalem was still on the offensive against the church.

To your third bolded statement I have to ask what do you think that reference means?
Jesus uses that term through out the NT even stating that the Kingdom of God is here.
Traditionally the removal of the temple and the foundation of a Church has been viewed
as the Kingdom of God.

I will say the last bolded statement is a form of hyperbole and not meant to mean the entire world.

I don’t think you are trying to proving me wrong and I am not offended by the discussion.

I do have to ask though. You seem to be looking for the literal take on all of this, so why not take verse 32 literally as well?

32"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened".

The generation that crucified Jesus lived long enough to see the temple destroyed. They lived long enough to see Jesus vindicated.

Honestly I think taking the term “coming on clouds” and applying it as a reference to Jesus claiming vindication upon them is a very eerie view. That a first century Jew would have known and assuming they knew who Jesus was would have been very frightened by.

[quote]haney1 wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]haney1 wrote:

Emphasis mine.

[quote]G3952
�??�??�??�??�??�??�?�±�??±
parousia
par-oo-see’-ah

my emphasis added.
[/quote]
[/quote]

So to your first bolded section. That word for world refers specifically to the Roman Empire

G3625
�?�¿�?�¹�??�?�º�?�¿�??
oikoumeneÃ???
oy-kou-men’-ay
Feminine participle present passive of G3611 (as noun, by implication of G1093); land, that is, the (terrene part of the) globe; specifically the Roman empire: - earth, world.

When Rome attacked the early church at that time was under going many persecutions

"Luk 21:12 But before all this they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors for my name’s sake. "

So this is a reference to a salvation from that current persecution. Nero had died and that put a stop to some of it, but Jerusalem was still on the offensive against the church.

To your third bolded statement I have to ask what do you think that reference means?
Jesus uses that term through out the NT even stating that the Kingdom of God is here.
Traditionally the removal of the temple and the foundation of a Church has been viewed
as the Kingdom of God.

I will say the last bolded statement is a form of hyperbole and not meant to mean the entire world.

I don’t think you are trying to proving me wrong and I am not offended by the discussion.

I do have to ask though. You seem to be looking for the literal take on all of this, so why not take verse 32 literally as well?[/quote]

Well, I wasn’t sure what to think about that verse. Part of the reason I was wanting to discuss this. I wasn’t necessarily taking a very literal stance on the passage and seem to be missing out on having a reference with the original text and explanations of the words. Would you mind giving me a place to look for something like that?

[quote32"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened".

The generation that crucified Jesus lived long enough to see the temple destroyed. They lived long enough to see Jesus vindicated.

Honestly I think taking the term “coming on clouds” and applying it as a reference to Jesus claiming vindication upon them is a very eerie view. That a first century Jew would have known and assuming they knew who Jesus was would have been very frightened by.

[/quote]

Thanks for the discussion. Again, I would love to have a source to reference the original text and meaning. It’s obvious that without it, the scripture can be taken MANY different ways.

[quote]haney1 wrote:

G3625
�??�??�??�?�¿�??�??�??�?÷
oikoumeneÃ???
oy-kou-men’-ay

as the Kingdom of God.

I do have to ask though. You seem to be looking for the literal take on all of this, so why not take verse 32 literally as well?[/quote]

Well, I wasn’t sure what to think about that verse. Part of the reason I was wanting to discuss this. I wasn’t necessarily taking a very literal stance on the passage and seem to be missing out on having a reference with the original text and explanations of the words. Would you mind giving me a place to look for something like that?

[quote]32"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened".

[/quote]

Thanks for the discussion. Again, I would love to have a source to reference the original text and meaning. It’s obvious that without it, the scripture can be taken MANY different ways.

[quote]cueball wrote:

[/quote]

There are two places that I use.

when you look up a passage click on the tool for greek hebrew lexicon I think it is the blue box with the “c” in it.

also download e-sword.
That one tool right there gives you access to all sorts of free stuff.

If you are interested PM me your email and I can send you some powerpoints on how to study the Bible as well.

Who here thinks we are in the end of days, but at the same time isn’t a christian?..no one? ok. Don’t let your religion get the best of you.

What amazes me is that it is the year 2010, yet people still cling to this nonsense that was written in the Bronze Age. Oh well, it is amusing.

Anyway, events have happened in my life within the last two days that have made me reasonable certain (not 100%, but reasonably certain) that there is no God, no higher being, no Jesus, no angels. Anyone who believes is suffering from a delusion, and not necessarily a harmless one. Enjoy your delusion.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
What amazes me is that it is the year 2010, yet people still cling to this nonsense that was written in the Bronze Age. Oh well, it is amusing.

Anyway, events have happened in my life within the last two days that have made me reasonable certain (not 100%, but reasonably certain) that there is no God, no higher being, no Jesus, no angels. Anyone who believes is suffering from a delusion, and not necessarily a harmless one. Enjoy your delusion.[/quote]

Sorry to hear your are having troubles, Mike. I hope they turn around. I pray that the small percentage you have left will grow.

[quote]Dustin wrote:
… The Hitler Channel …[/quote]

I lol’ed

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

Hardly prophetic. This was happening LONG before Jesus and has been happening for 2000 years after his death.

We’re not at the end of days. No matter how bad things get…famine, plague, asteroid, laser-wielding Jesus riding triceratops…there will likely survive a portion of humanity which will serve as a bottleneck for future generations. Hopefully they’re reasonably bright… [/quote]

laser-wielding Jesus riding triceratops, Terrifying.