EDT For Size or Strength?

Ive come across edt about an hour ago and have read every article Charles posted about it on this website.

pretty much everyone says it rocks while reporting increased numbers, but what about the size uve gained?

so is edt specified for hypertrophy or strength. and if its either one, which did u get more out of when using the program?

thx. with this feedback, i may try it out sometime.

the first time i came across EDT was reading a magazine article about getting big arms which is achived through EDT by increasing your strength, i’ve never tried it but the logic behind is good and it makes sence…

I been doing EDT workouts for over 6 months. I don’t know if I’m “bigger” or stronger. All I know is that I’m in better shape, mentally stronger, and have more satification after a workout. Try it out for a month. The only thing I could tell you is that you will get results. The downside? The workouts are very brutal and challenging. Once you get into them, you get “tired” just thinking of you next workout. This is when the mental aspect of EDT kicks in. It teaches you to keep going and not to give in. Good luck and order Charle’s book and dvd. they will help.

You’ve been doing this method for 6 months… aren’t any bigger or stronger… yet you still recommend it?

EDT is an excellent progression scheme. Try it. Of course nothing happens until the fat lady sings. And food is the fat lady.

I think if you choose to use EDT, you should be in a place where you are choosing to lift but not neccessarily with a specific size/strength goal. Rather, edt, to me, seems to be a great overall weight training workout that has unbelievable Cardiovascular benefits. I tried these workouts for 2 weeks and had to switch plans for several reasons.

1. I like doing different exercises (such as 6-8 different ones per session) and I didnt feel EDT let me have that.
  2. It was just too damn hard, especially in a crowded gym.
  3. I could never figure out my correct loading.
  4. I would lose count. Honestly, you are busting your ass so hard, it can become difficult to keep track…i recommend doing it with a partner.

Regardless, if you have made the decision to do this, you will become muscular AND incredibly fit.

so what did it give u guys the most: size, strength, or endurance?

The beauty of it is that YOU get to choose.

Interested in strength? Pick a 3-5RM and perform triples, doubles, and singles. Rest 45-90 seconds initially between sets and try to stay 1-2 reps from failure in the beginning of the “PR Zone” while pushing the weight as explosively as possible. Rest times will increase and you will drop to singles toward the end of the "PR Zone"down. Each successive workout, try to get at least one more single. Once you hit a target number of reps, increase the weight.

And if your goal is hypertrophy? Pick a weight that is your 10-15RM. Start off doing 5-8 reps, with shorter rest times, maybe 30-60 seconds. Keep doing sets of 5-8 then as you fatigue, either increase rest time or reduce reps per set. Try to get at least one more rep each successive workout.

[quote]BCpowder wrote:
The beauty of it is that YOU get to choose.

Interested in strength? Pick a 3-5RM and perform triples, doubles, and singles. Rest 45-90 seconds initially between sets and try to stay 1-2 reps from failure in the beginning of the “PR Zone” while pushing the weight as explosively as possible. Rest times will increase and you will drop to singles toward the end of the "PR Zone"down. Each successive workout, try to get at least one more single. Once you hit a target number of reps, increase the weight.

And if your goal is hypertrophy? Pick a weight that is your 10-15RM. Start off doing 5-8 reps, with shorter rest times, maybe 30-60 seconds. Keep doing sets of 5-8 then as you fatigue, either increase rest time or reduce reps per set. Try to get at least one more rep each successive workout.[/quote]

EXACTLY!!! and even the later will give strenght and both change body comp DRASTICALLY for the better. Oh you have to eat for this program. A ton.

I gained more size than anything. As BCpowder said, it is what you choose to do.

I kept the reps higher with less rest, I probably improved my muscular endurance a bit too.

I got great size gains and really enjoyed the format. Personally my strength probably went down a little bit. I credit that to the higher reps.

My goal was size so I achieved it with this program.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
You’ve been doing this method for 6 months… aren’t any bigger or stronger… yet you still recommend it?[/quote]
And you also say to try it - you will get results???

[quote]jackson44 wrote:
I been doing EDT workouts for over 6 months. I don’t know if I’m “bigger” or stronger. All I know is that I’m in better shape, mentally stronger, and have more satification after a workout. Try it out for a month. The only thing I could tell you is that you will get results. The downside? The workouts are very brutal and challenging. Once you get into them, you get “tired” just thinking of you next workout. This is when the mental aspect of EDT kicks in. It teaches you to keep going and not to give in. Good luck and order Charle’s book and dvd. they will help. [/quote]

satification? I personally don’t know the meaning of this word. and yea, if youve done a program for 6 months, and dont know if youre bigger or stronger…WTF are you still doing it, and why would you recommend it? should i be getting here that you are in better cardiovascular shape? jesus christ, if thats what you meant youve probably just wasted 6 months.

The routine someone’s doing isn’t the only thing that’s giving or holding him back from getting results.

Just because someone did this and didn’t get results, doesn’t make it a poor way to train.

Nutrition, rest and intesity play a big role in getting results.

I like the way Mike Robertson answered one of his interview questions when asked what he thinks the number one mistake most people make:

"The number one mistake I see people making is not working hard enough. I?ve seen people make gains on every training program imaginable: A 1x20 Super Squats program, 5x5, 3x3, a Westside-style split, everything. What is the unifying factor in all those programs? Someone busted their ass to make gains.

I firmly believe you can take a decent program and have great success if you work hard. However, you could have the most perfect program imaginable and if you don?t train hard, you won?t see nearly the same amount of progress. People make it out to be a lot more difficult than it needs to be, sometimes."

Great quote.

I can’t wait to try EDT for myself, but I think it’s difficult in a gym, crouded or not. I hate being a machine/station hog, and it would piss me off even more if someone wanted to cut in when I’m trying to beat a previous PR (even though they have every right to use the equipment too).

I’ll have my own home gym one day and will probably try this out then.

The cool thing about EDT for strength (training with submaximal loads and increasing “density”) is awesome strength endurance. It forces you to complete more reps in less time, even when working with near maximal singles. Your strength endurance/recovery between sets will skyrocket when compared to traditional strength programs where you rest 5 minutes or more between sets. That is great for athletes and strongman competitors and the shorter rest times will also induce greater hypertrophy.

so how many calories over maintenance would u guys recommend then? 1000?

I just wanted to throw in that allthough I have not done EDT, I have been following CW’s HFT and other short-rest circuit type training for several years- with near maximal loads, and can say that it almost always leads to better conditioning with results. It forces you to work hard, the pace gets you going, and soreness DORMS goes away after a week of adaptaion.

ya, i think high frequency, low volume routines seem better then high volume routines and im starting to do those from now on. but can anyone answer my previous question?