Dunkin Donut Pulls Scarf Ad

"This is the crap the the far left pulls, funny to see it from the far right.
"

If you go far enough to the left, you’ll end up on the far right. If you go far enough to the right, you’ll end up on the far left. :smiley:

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
lixy wrote:
I have a sense that the hate grew significantly, even in the hearts of previously neutral people, by watching images of the mutilated American bodies in Fallujah. Or hearing about the use of mentally-deficient people as mules for explosives.

Actually I was against the war since it started. You changed my mind on that one.[/quote]

Please tell me you aren’t serious.

I am. I thought we should have concentrated on taking out the Taliban since they were the ones who initially attacked us. Had we put all of our effort there and not gone into Iraq, which seemed a stupid move, we could have developed the country into something better than the shithole it still is today.

On the other hand, I think that since we are in Iraq and there is no going back, we owe it to the Iraqi people, to destroy the foreign invaders who are killing people left and right.

Maybe we should have done what Sistani said and gotten the hell out right after we toppled Saddam. If we had, I doubt there would have been any less bloodshed because Sunni and Shia would still been
locked in a battle for dominance.

(Remember the words of Ottoman Sultan Mohammad III “The head of one Shia is worth the heads of 10 Christians.” I think he said that, him or Suleiman the Magnificent.)

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Which makes me wonder, are all of DD’s customers fucking morons or just the one’s they want to appease?[/quote]

They are eating dough-nuts the single worst food in the entire world. Further, they wash them down with a 4000 kcal latte, how smart is that?

Seriously though, outside of the reporting on it, did anyone hear any outrage, or detect a movement to get this pulled? Usually when something is widespread controversial, I’ll hear something about it from either family, friends, or co-workers. To me, it seems DD pulled this one over an outcry that wasn’t even close to widespread. Or, for whatever reason, this bit of “outrage” never made it’s way into my sphere of experience. I just don’t see this ad as being controversial to the majority, left or right. I mean, we do have seasons in the US, and scarves aren’t exactly foriegn to us. Just, odd.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Seriously though, outside of the reporting on it, did anyone hear any outrage, or detect a movement to get this pulled? Usually when something is widespread controversial, I’ll hear something about it from either family, friends, or co-workers. To me, it seems DD pulled this one over an outcry that wasn’t even close to widespread. Or, for whatever reason, this bit of “outrage” never made it’s way into my sphere of experience. I just don’t see this ad as being controversial to the majority, left or right. I mean, we do have seasons in the US, and scarves aren’t exactly foriegn to us. Just, odd.[/quote]

Whoever said it was “widespread”?

[quote]lixy wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Seriously though, outside of the reporting on it, did anyone hear any outrage, or detect a movement to get this pulled? Usually when something is widespread controversial, I’ll hear something about it from either family, friends, or co-workers. To me, it seems DD pulled this one over an outcry that wasn’t even close to widespread. Or, for whatever reason, this bit of “outrage” never made it’s way into my sphere of experience. I just don’t see this ad as being controversial to the majority, left or right. I mean, we do have seasons in the US, and scarves aren’t exactly foriegn to us. Just, odd.

Whoever said it was “widespread”?[/quote]

Generally, companies are more reluctant to pull an ad. Like I said, I had heard absolutely zilch about this from my fellow citizens. I can’t remember the last time a show, ad, or whatever, was pulled without hearing some talk of it amongst the people I ecounter. So, it seems (to me at least) DD pulled this ad under a pretty low complaint threshold. If this was generally the practice, virtually no ads or TV shows would ever get aired, as there will always be complaints about content.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Seriously though, outside of the reporting on it, did anyone hear any outrage, or detect a movement to get this pulled? Usually when something is widespread controversial, I’ll hear something about it from either family, friends, or co-workers. To me, it seems DD pulled this one over an outcry that wasn’t even close to widespread. Or, for whatever reason, this bit of “outrage” never made it’s way into my sphere of experience. I just don’t see this ad as being controversial to the majority, left or right. I mean, we do have seasons in the US, and scarves aren’t exactly foriegn to us. Just, odd.[/quote]

I hadn’t heard a thing about it. I wonder in Michelle Malkin owns stock in DD an this is a publicity stunt.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Generally, companies are more reluctant to pull an ad. Like I said, I had heard absolutely zilch about this from my fellow citizens. I can’t remember the last time a show, ad, or whatever, was pulled without hearing some talk of it amongst the people I ecounter. So, it seems (to me at least) DD pulled this ad under a pretty low complaint threshold. If this was generally the practice, virtually no ads or TV shows would ever get aired, as there will always be complaints about content.[/quote]

How do you gauge the level of complaint when it’s on the web? Driven people can make a lot of noise on the internet, and the right-wing blogosphere was starting to buzz with this. Dunkin’ chose not to risk it. They’re in the business of making money, not freedom of speech or anything of the sort. The speedy decision was sound from a risk analysis standpoint.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Generally, companies are more reluctant to pull an ad. Like I said, I had heard absolutely zilch about this from my fellow citizens. I can’t remember the last time a show, ad, or whatever, was pulled without hearing some talk of it amongst the people I ecounter. So, it seems (to me at least) DD pulled this ad under a pretty low complaint threshold. If this was generally the practice, virtually no ads or TV shows would ever get aired, as there will always be complaints about content.

How do you gauge the level of complaint when it’s on the web? Driven people can make a lot of noise on the internet, and the right-wing blogosphere was starting to buzz with this. Dunkin’ chose not to risk it. They’re in the business of making money, not freedom of speech or anything of the sort. The speedy decision was sound from a risk analysis standpoint.[/quote]

Because in every case I can think of, even if popular on the blogosphere, it jumps to the real world. It becomes dinner table or water cooler talk. Didn’t happen here. As far as the risk analysis thing, that’s my point. I think DD’s caution threshold was abnormally low here. I seriously doubt this ad carried much risk, as far as pissing off the public goes. In this case, I’m of the opinion, DD spooked way too easily over an issue Americans, right or left, would’ve laughed at. I don’t think this is a reflection of the American public, right or left. I think DD was simply overly cautious here.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Sloth wrote:

I hadn’t heard a thing about it. I wonder in Michelle Malkin owns stock in DD an this is a publicity stunt.[/quote]

You know, I was wondering if she (and others) was trying to make some underhanded point. A stupid stunt, either way.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
I can’t remember the last time a show, ad, or whatever, was pulled without hearing some talk of it amongst the people I ecounter.[/quote]

Hmmm, was it pulled before it even hit the airwaves, sort of like those CBS miniseries about Reagan that got pulled?:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/04/entertainment/main581695.shtml

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Sloth wrote:
I can’t remember the last time a show, ad, or whatever, was pulled without hearing some talk of it amongst the people I ecounter.

Hmmm, was it pulled before it even hit the airwaves, sort of like those CBS miniseries about Reagan that got pulled?:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/04/entertainment/main581695.shtml

[/quote]

That was big news before they pulled it. I never heard a peep about this.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

That was big news before they pulled it. I never heard a peep about this.[/quote]

Yes, you’re right about that. I am just asking if the Dunkin’ Donuts commerical was pulled before the public even go to see it, as was the case with the Reagan miniseries.

If so, how in the hell did a blogger even know about the commercial, before it was officially released?

Who knows.

Maybe this is the wrong take.

Maybe they thought terrorists would start bombing DD’s.

Ever think of that?