Don't Know What I'm Doing Wrong...

[quote]mallen5 wrote:
It is actually pretty pathetic that people on a bodybuilding website are not acknowledging that the human body adapts to what you expose it to.

I’m not sure if it is that they don’t believe or understand it, or if they don’t have anywhere else direct their inner rage due to self inadequacy. A lot of people are just looking for someone to disagree with. Honestly, If I saw what they did in the mirror, I probably would too.

I honestly prefer constructive suggestions. What is the OP thinking at this point? That is who I was attempting to help. I am not posting for a bunch of wannabes with inferiority complexes who feel the need to negate anything and everyting. There is no best way to train. It is even difficult to decipher a better way to train.

I will make suggestions where I see fit. The longer you train, the more you realize that everything that you hold true at one time or another will eventually be put into question. Even the best and most experienced coaches/athletes are still learning. [/quote]

You miss the point, which is that people often repeat what they’re told like it’s a proven law of nature when it’s readily refuted by personal experience.

Your idea of switching it up has been heard, tried and refuted personally by many, most, perhaps all of those who so politely showed you where to shove it.

To illustrate my first statement: I, like many others, have been told that water in a sink swirls in a different direction in the southern hemisphere. This has been repeated countless times, and each time is attributed to a certain mysterious Coriolis effect.

The truth is that the direction of swirl is determined by myriad other factors far more important, and is proven easily by personal observation, but many swear by the veracity of this statement.

Are you starting to get my drift?

Bodybuilding seems to be the only activity where people don’t want to learn from people who have been there and done that. I can only imagine the havoc that would ensue were the majority of interns in the medical field to do the same thing.

Go ahead and switch it up every 6 weeks. I do not care. I can say I don’t really change much except the weight I lift. MORE! Besides just some fluff if it is working why would you change it? I have switched rep schemes to break a platue but not much more than that.

Rotated some machines here and there just to get things comfortable in a uncomfortable way. Have fun!

My bad… I wrote that out in hurry. I’m not getting as big as I want to be and I was told it was bad to workout later as opposed to earlier because I wouldnt be able keep amino acid levels high during the night.

By the way I know all the basics and stuff. I’ve been lifting for over three years. Im just getting annoyed with my results, or lack there of, and looking for some help.
Again Thanks for the help.

[quote]Beerguy wrote:
Go ahead and switch it up every 6 weeks. I do not care. I can say I don’t really change much except the weight I lift. MORE! Besides just some fluff if it is working why would you change it? I have switched rep schemes to break a platue but not much more than that.

Rotated some machines here and there just to get things comfortable in a uncomfortable way. Have fun![/quote]

Ok. You are making my point for me. Non-drastic changes mean things like changing rep schemes and exercises (different machines). This could also include switching up the order that you complete each exercise. You might even go out on a limb and make a minor adjustment to your split.

The point I would like to make clear is that too many people attack advice without knowing the complete logic behind it or even who it is coming from. I haven’t posted a picture of myself half naked in my underwear so I must not be a big guy. I realize now why the most experienced people on here refuse to post anything.

[quote]michaellongo14 wrote:
My bad… I wrote that out in hurry. I’m not getting as big as I want to be and I was told it was bad to workout later as opposed to earlier because I wouldnt be able keep amino acid levels high during the night.

By the way I know all the basics and stuff. I’ve been lifting for over three years. Im just getting annoyed with my results, or lack there of, and looking for some help.
Again Thanks for the help.[/quote]

To get back on track in this thread…

Working out at night or in the morning shouldn’t effect your results. Your amino acids at night should be the same in the morning if you’re eating plenty and frequently.

Now, working out at night may be a problem, if you’re tired by the time you get to the gym and can’t push yourself. However, I suspect you’re not eating enough because it usually comes down to diet for people that need to ask this question.

[quote]mallen5 wrote:
Beerguy wrote:

Rotated some machines here and there just to get things comfortable in a uncomfortable way. Have fun!

Ok. You are making my point for me. Non-drastic changes mean things like changing rep schemes and exercises (different machines). This could also include switching up the order that you complete each exercise. You might even go out on a limb and make a minor adjustment to your split.

The point I would like to make clear is that too many people attack advice without knowing the complete logic behind it or even who it is coming from. I haven’t posted a picture of myself half naked in my underwear so I must not be a big guy. I realize now why the most experienced people on here refuse to post anything. [/quote]

No I am not making your point. My point some change is good. After a much more extended time than 6 weeks. And only change it if you are completely stalled. I can’t believe I let myself get dragged into this stupid debate.

[quote]mallen5 wrote:
It is actually pretty pathetic that people on a bodybuilding website are not acknowledging that the human body adapts to what you expose it to. I’m not sure if it is that they don’t believe or understand it, or if they don’t have anywhere else direct their inner rage due to self inadequacy.
[/quote]

No one is failing to acknowledge this though. The problem is that authors/coaches have taken this fact, added some hyperbole and wound up convincing people that this means you have to switch things up (routine, exercises, set/rep schemes, exercise order, etc…) every (insert arbitrary amount of time) in order to continue to see “optimal” results.

When in fact, you WANT adaptation. Building the musculature larger is an adaptation to the stress that the body is being put under. It adapts in an effort to make the work easier.

Simply following the tenets of the progressive overload theory (along with eating sufficient calories) is really all you need in order to keep your body growing/adapting.

Sure, at some point you will need to make adjustments (you will plateau on exercises, you will eventually need to allow for more recovery time between workouts for the same muscle, etc…), but they aren’t needed every 6 weeks (nor can you really assign any predicted period of time for when they will be needed). That is what people were responding to.

[quote]elusive wrote:
michaellongo14 wrote:

Again Thanks for the help.

To get back on track in this thread…

Working out at night or in the morning shouldn’t effect your results. Your amino acids at night should be the same in the morning if you’re eating plenty and frequently.

Now, working out at night may be a problem, if you’re tired by the time you get to the gym and can’t push yourself. However, I suspect you’re not eating enough because it usually comes down to diet for people that need to ask this question.[/quote]

Yup, if you aren’t gaining it’s your diet that’s to blame. If the weight you are gaining is the wrong kind, then it’s probably a combination of training and diet.

Take a full week off from lifting if you have been training for over the last 10 weeks straight. When you come back you will be stronger and ready to start your next phase of training.

[quote]mallen5 wrote:

I haven’t posted a picture of myself half naked in my underwear so I must not be a big guy. [/quote]

You’re 6’4" and 227 pounds. You’re NOT a big guy.

[quote]mallen5 wrote:

The longer you train, the more you realize that everything that you hold true at one time or another will eventually be put into question. [/quote]

Including the need to change your program every six weeks.

Although the concept of ‘Progression’ must include change; the concept of ‘Change’ does not necessarily include progression.

[quote]michaellongo14 wrote:

Again Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Eat more… And the most important time for muscle repair is right after your workout and up to 2 hours later. So as long as you are having a PWO shake, and a good size meal for dinner, you’ll be fine. And make sure you aren’t skimping on breakfast either.

OP’s dead.

[quote]Beerguy wrote:
I can’t believe I let myself get dragged into this stupid debate.
[/quote]

lol.

This is exactly why most of the big people have cut down or stopped posting on this forum. The little guys have it all figured out…