Depressing the Scapulae?

I always read about depressing the scapulae in certain exercises.

How is this done exactly?

Do I just have to squeeze my shoulder blades together and down?

The search button doesn’t seem to be working for me today.

call it fat and worthless. that should depress it

Yep.
At least that’s how I do it.

Or you could insult your scapulae. They get depressed when they don’t feel your love anymore.

lol

Until it becomes completely ingrained in your movement patterns you’ll probably have to work on it often. You can do it without a load in any position, not just lying on your back.

Pull your scaps together (as if you were trying to hold a pencil between them) then extend your arms out as if you were doing a bench press. The goal would be to complete the BP movement without losing the pencil.

You may not be able to actually place a pencil between your scapulae, it would depend on how much muscle you have, but the idea still applies.

This is one of the most important things to learn if you plan to lift weights for a long time without injury.

Got it. Thanks!

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Got it. Thanks![/quote]

no problem, any time

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
call it fat and worthless. that should depress it[/quote]

DAMN! I was so excited to give a sarcastic answer when I saw the thread title… beat me to it :frowning:

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
call it fat and worthless. that should depress it

DAMN! I was so excited to give a sarcastic answer when I saw the thread title… beat me to it :frowning:

S[/quote]

I think you have to be VERY fast on here, Stu, to get your sarcasm in. :slight_smile:

Do a shrug, then return to normal and shrug down (in essence). That’s depression of the scapulae.

“Down and back” as you said is also a great way to look at it. That would technically be retraction and depression.

Best,

Dr Clay

[quote]DrClay wrote:
Do a shrug, then return to normal and shrug down (in essence). That’s depression of the scapulae.

“Down and back” as you said is also a great way to look at it. That would technically be retraction and depression.

Best,

Dr Clay[/quote]

nice pseudo name, hope u dont confuse the OP with it