DC: Superman Renounces Citizenship

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

DC changed it’s mind Superman is not renouncing citizenship, Marvel did this bit back in the early 00’s when Morrisson had that god awful run in X-Men. He tried to make the beast gay(not that he he didn’t after they did a tertiary mutation now looks like a Disney reject).[/quote]

Agreed. That cat-like mutation looks retarded. It is a straight rip off of Disney’s Beast from the movie…only blue.[/quote]
That and they got rid of powers he had after his secondary mutation, his fur released pheramones and he got laid a lot as a member of the Avengers, Wonderman and he would party like rock stars in those classic comics.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
“Due to the backlash,” or planned all along?

For example, in an earlier thread, one member (apologies for my memory failure!) posted that the various covers where Superman appears to be a complete dick were shock covers, and apparently the actual stories didn’t really work out that way. And as for “what if” stories, those have been endless.

I’ve also wondered whether New Coke was always a scheme intended to enrage the public and re-establish the importance, in the public mind, of Coca-Cola.

If DC played us like a fiddle, props to them for their skill in this instance in doing so.[/quote]

They ahve had enough practice. Look at the reaction to Captain America dying. yeah, most people who even knew about the character had some outdated concept of him that didn’t match with his current portrayal.

By killing him off, they re-energized a significant population to start reading comics again…and we fouind that comics had matured with us.

It does pay off in the end if it increases viewer-ship…and I ahve to give these comic book writers credit lately, they are hitting a new stride in terms of how these stories are laid out.

“Due to the backlash,” or planned all along?

For example, in an earlier thread, one member (apologies for my memory failure!) posted that the various covers where Superman appears to be a complete dick were shock covers, and apparently the actual stories didn’t really work out that way. And as for “what if” stories, those have been endless.

I’ve also wondered whether New Coke was always a scheme intended to enrage the public and re-establish the importance, in the public mind, of Coca-Cola.

If DC played us like a fiddle, props to them for their skill in this instance in doing so.[/quote]
I haven’t read the issue yet, I haven’t had the money to buy all my sub for a bit, but from what I’ve read the story takes place in “our” universe vs the current DC one. As soon as I get the book I’ll report back

As I heard it, this happened in a non-canonical comic anyways, so it does not affect the DC continuity anymore than Red Son, where Superman was a Commie.

[quote]Thorgrim wrote:
As I heard it, this happened in a non-canonical comic anyways, so it does not affect the DC continuity anymore than Red Son, where Superman was a Commie.[/quote]

That was a great story, too.

[quote]Christine wrote:
I don’t know the comic very well, but how did Superman get his citizenship anyway? Didn’t he just fall from the sky and some nice family took him in? Wouldn’t they have had to had forged papers to make him legal?

Was he ever granted citizenship legally?[/quote]

Geek Mode Activated

In Smallville, they actually went into great detail about how they faked his adoption. Lex Luthor’s father, Lionel created an adoption agency for the soul purpose of hiding clark…who was found in a field at the same time Lex lost his hair.

Backstory: Lionel was part of secret organization who was aware of Kryptonians coming to Earth before Clark for centuries. They used this as a training ground before reaching full maturity.

So, if you follow Smallville, yes, he was faked into being an American citizen by the Luthors.[/quote]

(smile)

Fuck dc… always thought marvel had better stories n characters.

Alright so I finally got my copy of Action 900 and it really was much ado about nothing. As I’m sure the comic readers here know action comics is the longest running comic in history and the first to hit 900, as a result DC decided to have a giant size issue spectacular, like you do. The main storyline was actually the conclusion of a Lex Luthor story, Lex has been starring in Action for about a year, and also to kick off the next storyline the Reign of the Doomsdays(a whole bunch of Doomsdays that are like the Supermen from the 90’s cyborg, kryptonian, one with tactile telekansis and one who is armored). I actually enjoyed this story as it brought back Hank Henshaw the cyborg superman, he’s been a green lantern villian for quite sometime. After the main story there where two little stories and one was the Superman renouncing his citizenship this was clearly an elseworlds, hypertime, what if story and to anyone who has read the books for as long as they would have known this. All I can say is shame on the media for making this such a big deal I mean I know that most people don’t read comics, and the last big news for a comic was Superman’s death, but that was a major storyline and not a throw away four page story filler. Oh well If you can get a chance to read this book check it out.

Just wanna spice things up a bit. I have a few of these, so bear with me.

Last one. Thought I had more.

I know they’re irrelevent to the thread. Just enjoy.

I don’t know if it’s backlash from Action or if the writers had planned these issues for some time but Superman 711 he discusses how wonderful it is to be an American and in Action 901(reign of the doomsdays) there is another mention of truth justice and the american way. Since most of these books are scripted months in advance was the media just too quick to jump into something they knew nothing about?

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I don’t know if it’s backlash from Action or if the writers had planned these issues for some time but Superman 711 he discusses how wonderful it is to be an American and in Action 901(reign of the doomsdays) there is another mention of truth justice and the american way. Since most of these books are scripted months in advance was the media just too quick to jump into something they knew nothing about?[/quote]

Uh…YES.

As usual.

There was backlash when they “killed” Captain America also…even though most of the people bitching hadn’t read a comic in 40 years.

If I understand correctly, Superman will still stand for truth and justice, but as for the American way, not so much.

Story at: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/04/27/superman-renounces-us-citizenship/

Thoughts?[/quote]

Thoughts? Superman was borne of innocence back when America had a very clear enemy that was in no way righteous or good. The world isn’t so black and white anymore…nor are we so innocent as to believe that our own government is without fault or that no one who opposes an ideal we represent could be good in any way.

Realistically, it is tragic that we lost that innocence…but it is also to be expected considering we have already lost our privacy and much of our freedom.

If Superman were real, being an “American” would make it impossible for him to help anyone outside of our own borders without getting the UN involved.

Comic books are becoming more and more based in reality. They are not just for kids anymore.[/quote]

Damn well said.

But I still think Superman is a dick :)[/quote]

LOL!

[quote]Christine wrote:
I don’t know the comic very well, but how did Superman get his citizenship anyway? Didn’t he just fall from the sky and some nice family took him in? Wouldn’t they have had to had forged papers to make him legal?

Was he ever granted citizenship legally?[/quote]

Geek Mode Activated

In Smallville, they actually went into great detail about how they faked his adoption. Lex Luthor’s father, Lionel created an adoption agency for the soul purpose of hiding clark…who was found in a field at the same time Lex lost his hair.

Backstory: Lionel was part of secret organization who was aware of Kryptonians coming to Earth before Clark for centuries. They used this as a training ground before reaching full maturity.

So, if you follow Smallville, yes, he was faked into being an American citizen by the Luthors.[/quote]

I think in the comic, it was just accepted that he was the child of a relative of the Kents who’d perished in a fire.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I don’t know if it’s backlash from Action or if the writers had planned these issues for some time but Superman 711 he discusses how wonderful it is to be an American and in Action 901(reign of the doomsdays) there is another mention of truth justice and the american way. Since most of these books are scripted months in advance was the media just too quick to jump into something they knew nothing about?[/quote]

Uh…YES.

As usual.

There was backlash when they “killed” Captain America also…even though most of the people bitching hadn’t read a comic in 40 years.[/quote]
There was but at least Steve Rogers dying was an important storyline and his death lasted at least 2yrs(a lifetime in comics) while the story in Action 900 was 6 pages and towards the back of the book.