DC: Superman Renounces Citizenship

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]B to the rian wrote:
I’ll weigh in on this.

Superman was created in 1933 by a pair of Canadians. Their original catch phrase was “Truth and Justice.” It wasn’t until 1942 that it was changed to “Truth, Justice, and the American Way.” The latter was dropped post-WWII and then later re-added when the t.v. series started. It’s a bit like adding “…under God,” to the Pledge of Allegiance and “In God we Trust” to our currency in the 1950’s. It seems that the majority of Americans just automatically assume that it’s always been like this.

The problem I see with Superman renouncing citizenship is that Superman is an entity that the world recognizes as an alien whose only known residence is “somewhere in the Arctic Circle.” Because of that, any citizenship he would have would be purely honorary. In actuality, it’s his secret identity, Clark Kent, that is a citizen of the U.S.

Personally, I prefer him to drop that “American Way” b.s. and be entirely global anyway.[/quote]
One Canadian Seigel was born in Ohio[/quote]
My bad.

Well, on the other hand there is a good reason that America should be glad to be rid of him. The guy’s always been a total dick.

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

Good riddance whore.

DC changed it’s mind Superman is not renouncing citizenship, Marvel did this bit back in the early 00’s when Morrisson had that god awful run in X-Men. He tried to make the beast gay(not that he he didn’t after they did a tertiary mutation now looks like a Disney reject).

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

DC changed it’s mind Superman is not renouncing citizenship, Marvel did this bit back in the early 00’s when Morrisson had that god awful run in X-Men. He tried to make the beast gay(not that he he didn’t after they did a tertiary mutation now looks like a Disney reject).[/quote]

Agreed. That cat-like mutation looks retarded. It is a straight rip off of Disney’s Beast from the movie…only blue.

“Due to the backlash,” or planned all along?

For example, in an earlier thread, one member (apologies for my memory failure!) posted that the various covers where Superman appears to be a complete dick were shock covers, and apparently the actual stories didn’t really work out that way. And as for “what if” stories, those have been endless.

I’ve also wondered whether New Coke was always a scheme intended to enrage the public and re-establish the importance, in the public mind, of Coca-Cola.

If DC played us like a fiddle, props to them for their skill in this instance in doing so.

But I still think Superman is a dick :slight_smile:

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
`[/quote]
That was a great story, it had to do with Monarch who was a hero who took over the world. The surprise villain was supposed to be Captain Atom but the news leaked, and the ending was changed so Hawk was the villain. That issue had Lois and Clark married and Lois expecting a baby the baby kicks her and causes internal bleeding and she dies(super strengh don’t you know). Superman upset leaves earth and eventually he falls in love with Maxima. If you wanted to show a cover with superman kissing someone Action 600 is better, he lip locks Wonder Woman and she slaps him right after classic