Davemccright's Dangerous Dave’s Diabolical Log for Density and Destruction

I will say the results at this juncture do seem similar. It’s too early to tell exactly, but it seems very similar in terms of results. I should be able to give truly proper feedback after a few more weeks. The stimulus is quite similar so I would be surprised if the results were much different. If they are, I would chalk it up to the more varied set types creating more pathways for muscle growth and my body preferring to trade a bit of intensity for some extra frequency. But as of right now, I’d say I’m gaining at a very similar rate!

And I will say the Focus on progression, training hard, and higher body part frequency in both systems are at the heart of what makes them so effective.

2 Likes

Are you following DC’s 3 days a week guidelines? Adding anything in like conditioning and stuff?

1 Like

Yes I’m doing the basic 3 day a week program. I haven’t added in any conditioning work, but that is a good idea. My softball practices and games had kind of been filling that role, but now that the season is over I should probably fill that void.

I know Dante was big on cardio (I feel like it was a daily requirement) on the program. Usually incline treadmill walking, typically fasted.

2 Likes

You’re spot on. I’ll start incorporating that as I do usually like to follow programs to the letter.

1 Like

DC training has always interested me. I love the idea of giving it all and then some. Only thing holding me back has been the 3 days a week. I claim to only want progress regardless of what I do, but the fact that I want to train more than 3 days a week tells me I’m a liar and apparently want to train, just to train. It’s definitely mental gymnastics lol

2 Likes

I think it’s good to cycle in and out throughout the year with Mountain Dog or Fortitude Training because when I’m training with high frequency I start yearning for less frequent, more intense training and Vice versa and is likely good for fighting against adaptation. So it might be a great go-to if you find yourself mentally burned out or just really busy with life outside the gym!

I’ve been loving it so much lately, I love the focus on just beating the logbook every session, it feels like a competition between myself and the weights. I’m really glad I’ve decided to take it up!

How long have you been training? I know he’s very much vocal about it not being for a less than seasoned lifter, which I am not.

1 Like

Thanks for detailed reply. I’d be really interested in your feedback in a few weeks.

Really enjoying following your log and the detail you gave on Fortitude was great.

1 Like

Thanks man! I hope I’m able to be very informative and detailed about my approach here and hope you and others can find it useful!

@wanna_be I’ve been lifting since I was 12 and I’m 25 now, so I’ve been lifting for a very long time for someone my age, but I think a lot of my best growth in muscle and knowledge has come in the past year. I could see it being a more advanced routine, but honestly, as long as you know how to push you and beyond failure and just mentally push yourself hard, you can do it.

4 Likes

I was back to the ol’ grind this morning, mentally prepared for the rigors of a grueling workout. As things would turn out this workout would turn out EXTRA destructive and diabolical. Today’s workout called for sumo leg Press in a straight set done for 15-25 reps which is basically a widow maker itself and following that up with standard leg Press for a Heavy set and a widow maker. Thankfully when I put my feet on the Press, my warm ups felt super light, so I knew I would absolutely DESTROY. All of these sets basically felt like they were turning into cardio with how hard I was breathing by the 10th rep. Days with such ‘Fortitude’ like today in the gym are the days I feel like I really grow and become a man. On the widow maker set of leg Press, I was listening to “Renegade” by Styx and I kept thinking to myself that there’s no way Troy Polamalu or TJ Watt would settle for less than 20 reps, so I couldn’t either.

Biceps, Forearms, Wheels

Dumbbell Curl 45x8,3,2
Single Arm Reverse Cable Curl 40x15
Seated Calf Raise 250x5 5 sec neg, 10sec hold at bottom (too heavy)
Sumo Leg Press 315x25
Leg Press 605x10, 495x20

2 Likes

I didn’t get to workout until about 3AM last night because I spent all day sawing trees and loading the heavy ass logs into the back of the pickup so I was very busy again haha! I was still super fired up and motivated for this workout and I’ve progressed unbelievably since the last time I did these lifts two weeks ago!! I’m in awe!! I just took care of business and took things to the next level!

Upper

Decline Bench 255x8,4,2
Seated Dumbbell Press 60x8,2 assisted partials, 5 pulses
Reverse Grip Bench 165x7,4,3
Rack Chin 60x14,5,3
T-Bar Row 155x11

3 Likes

3 AM! My man! Did you get to meet Boyer Coe there while pumping? I hear he has always done business in the early hours.

1 Like

Hahaha I’ve always heard that! But he gets up that early I was just up that late lol I would love to work out with Boyer Coe, even in old age, he’s an absolute marvel!

1 Like

Today’s workout felt absolutely phenomenal! I got almost 10 hours of sleep last night so I was totally ready to go and no caffeine! Everything was going smooth and I was feeling really strong… until I got under the squat bar. My first warmup with 135 pounds felt REALLY heavy. Not a good sign, but I got my head right just put the music on and focused on getting the reps in, good form. I loaded the bar up with 185 and got an easy 10, put 225 on for an easy 5. I’m ready. I only got 3 full reps with 275 last time and failed on the 4th. Enough time has passed and I’ve done the work, I’ll easily surpass this.

I walk back with the 275. It feels so light I could do long jumps with it. First 4 reps go down and up pretty easy. 5 and 6 are a struggle and I start to walk the bar forward and think “What are you doing?? You’re not done yet!” So I walk back and get a true grinder of a rep and no I’m still not done yet. I go down for another and feel like I’m not going to be able to get it all the way back up, but it goes up and I rack the bar. I’m not done yet. I still have the widow maker.

I had written down 195 for today’s widow maker, reasonable progression over the 185 from last time, but I had just made the 275 look easy getting 8 reps. I had only taken off the 25’s and think to myself, “there’s not one good reason why I can’t get 225 for at least 15”. That was all the rationale and logic I needed. After that last set, not one rep felt easy. I’m breathing like a freight train and I’ve got 12 reps. 15 feels like a mile away, but I get there and think “I NEED 20. @T3hPwnisher would get 20, there’s no question he would think less of me if I don’t pull through and get 20 reps like a man.” It didn’t matter if it would take a year to get there, I needed that 20, and I wasn’t going to let go of the bar until I got it. My legs were shaking like a leaf and I was seriously concerned I was hitting failure at 18 reps but I just kept breathing. And got 19 with a really ugly rep with one leg coming up out of the hole a little more than the other, and 20 might’ve looked even worse but dammit I got it. I laid on the floor for about 10 minutes but I achieved my goal.

Lower +Arms

Preacher Curls 125x7,4,2
Pinwheel Curls 50x13
Standing Calf Raises 300x12(5 down, 10 hold at bottom)
Hamstring Curls 150x11,4,2
Squats 275x8, 225x20

8 Likes

Inspirational, man—way to dig DEEP!

1 Like

225 for 20 is pretty wild, especially considering the 8 at 275 was a grind fest at the end (still solid lifting though).

2 Likes

I think it’s 100% just the mindset and wanting those reps haha I had to stand there and just breathe like a horse until I was ready for the next rep on some of those last ones. I hope to add even more weight to it next time! Seems impossible to me now but I guarantee when the day gets here I will refuse to be a failure.

4 Likes

Thanks so much brother. I really appreciate it! Today was just about pushing to a level I don’t think I’ve ever been before and I really wanted to share in detail what that was like. I’ve been dead since this session lol

2 Likes

Widowmakers are mindfucks, man. You can do more than what you just did. The mindset is everything - you’ll lie to yourself, you’ll count by multiples of 5, you’ll count down instead of up, but you’ll get there.

Here’s a guy squatting 400 lbs for 42 reps. 4 minutes with the bar on his back. I’ll bet there are people squatting 800 lbs who can’t do this.

6 Likes