Cycles for Powerlifting Comp

Hi all,

So am about to do my second powerlifting comp. This one is an IPF comp, and I have a few questions that I’m hoping I can get answers to here or at least get a pointer to here I can get some information.

1. how strict are they on drug testing for divisional comps?

2. leading up to the comp, what esters and orals are commonly used? Obviously they will need to be shorter half life ones, but I’m wondering if there’s more information somewhere on when to stop taking them so they are out of your system?

Any help would be great!

IPF_Anti-Doping_Rules.pdf (powerlifting.sport)

IMO if its a tested competition don’t cheat. If you want to use PEDs don’t go into a competition that prohibits them.

2 Likes

I’ve read that already. I’m looking for more real life experiences

If it’s a tested event, then none. Natural powerlifters take that “natural” part seriously. There is a lot of pride in their groups of putting up real numbers without using any AAS.

If you want to use AAS, just go to an untested fed. No rules, just right.

3 Likes

I think it is more common in powerlifting for natural lifters to compete untested, than for enhanced lifters to compete in tested comps. Part of that is tested comps sometimes cost more. Part of it is in powerlifting 99% of the time basically nobody cares what you lift but you.

1 Like

I suppose I get it trying to skirt the rules to compete in the Olympics. There is only one Olympics. And I suppose I get trying to “test clean” in the World Track & Field Championships. There is only one.

When I started competing in bodybuilding there was only one organization running contests in my area of the USA and it was the AAU. There was an understood rule that steroids were cheating, but nearly everyone (any good) was taking steroids.

But what I don’t get is when there are multiple organizations that do tested and non-tested contests, why would you not take the honorable path and compete in the contest that corresponds to your steroid use.

I get that being your second powerlifting meet that you may not be very competitive in a group who uses steroids and you want any advantage you can get. But where is the honor in that?

Do what you want. It is solely your decision.

BTW, what is the weight class you compete? And what are your best lifts so far in each category, Squat, Bench Press, and Deadlift?

5 Likes

I’m 86kg and compete in U93
180kg squat, 105kg bench and 180kg deadlift (conventional)

You probably won’t be tested. They typically test people who set records, or win / place highly in their division. If you add 250 kg to your total in the same weight class, you will probably be tested.

Not to be disrespectful, but why do you want to use PEDs? I don’t know anything about you. Maybe there is something I am missing. Your lifts are good by normal people standards, but they are not good in powerlifting. To be honest with you, I think you should try to add at least 100 kgs to your total in the U93 class before considering PEDs.

I also don’t think huge gains will be made in strength with small amounts of steroids. They are better at building muscle than strength. Sure more muscle will result in more strength, but you may be in a higher weight class.

1 Like

I never gave this much thought. But it seems like eating like you are competing in a specific weight class, or maintaining as many of you say, would slow hypertrophy, but still allow muscle weight to replace fat weight. Even small doses of steroids work here. Then train like you are trying to get stronger and not bigger: Low reps (3 to 5) and heavy weight. If you start gaining much weight, back off the carbohydrate calories.