Creatine (Not the Typical Creatine Question)

Im on my 2nd creatine cycle. I only take 50g per week roughly (7g per day in post workout shake with water, 50g protein, 75g dextrose). I do a 6 wk cycle with 3 wks off. Anyway, I went in for a routine check up and the doctor told me that she might have noticed an irregular heart beat. Could this be due to the creatine? Is it only temporary and harmless? Has anyone heard of/experienced this? Well now i have this heart monitor on, but only for 24 hrs, but i might have to wear this 30 day one after that. I’m healthy as a horse so i’m curious as to what’s goin on. Thanks in advance for the help.

Healthy as what kind of horse?

Never heard/read/experienced creatine causing an irregular heartbeat. Irregular heartbeat is not uncommon and often means nothing. OTOH it could mean something.

Just don’t get all hysterical and start blaming creatine.

what mechanism in creatines action could cause this? this is a very common thing among everybody.

Most athletes have irregular heart beats. Specifically there’s a tendency to “drop beats” which means occassionally you lose the “S” portion of your ECG. (In case you don’t know…first small blip is “S”…then the “PQR” large spike (one letter for each vertice of the spike)…completed by the “T” blip (usually slightly bigger than “S” but no where near PQR.) If this is the case I wouldn’t worry and I’m surprised your doctor’s even checking you out (unless you didn’t tell him/her your athletic).

Occasionally doing this means once every few heartbeats, not once a day.

ND, not quite sure where you’re getting your EKG info, but it’s inaccurate.

Don’t seat it until you know more. When I was in university, I had just finished being a guinea pig for my class’ sub-max bike test, then I was warming up for a VO2max test when I started spewing PVC’s all over the ECG chart. My instructor got a little alrmed (although he did his best to try not to scare me). He told me to go to the hospital, where they did a battery of tests and everything came back great. Just some kind of anomaly.

I’m gonna repost this with a correction that was pointed out to me (Thanks DocT). Apparently I forgot my alphabet :slight_smile: “P” come’s before “S”

Most athletes have irregular heart beats. Specifically there’s a tendency to “drop beats” which means occassionally you lose the “P” portion of your ECG. (In case you don’t know…first small blip is “P”…then the “QRS” large spike (one letter for each vertice of the spike)…completed by the “T” blip (usually slightly bigger than “P” but no where near QRS.) If this is the case I wouldn’t worry and I’m surprised your doctor’s even checking you out (unless you didn’t tell him/her your athletic).

Occasionally doing this means once every few heartbeats, not once a day.

Sorry about that!..Long days at the lab with equipment that doesn’t work make ND go crazy!

ND and DocT is this phenomenon observed when an athlete proceeds with one large and rapid inhalation? Occasionally my heart will do this. I know extremely fit individual’s heart beats will slow slightly with inhalation and speed slightly with exhalation but skip with a deep breath? Something similar to what you are describing ND and I would call it a half beat in laymens terms.

I don’t think it’s really a “skip with a deep breath” thing. It’s actually an arrythmia…think of your heart "lub-dub"ing (That’s the laymens version of systole and diastole. Anyways…many atheletes hearts go

Lub-dub…lub-dub…lub-dub…dub…lub-dub…lub-dub…lub-dub…dub…lub-dub…

You get the point…it’s not really based on alterations in your breathing pattern. Instead the contraction of your heart is altered…It’s likely based on your Ca2+ channels in your heart since they’re responsible for activating the heart’s action potential, but I’m not positive.