Cookies and Gaining Mass - Update

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Dude if you just go haphazardly eating cookies you won’t make gains you need to follow a program

Here is one by Dave Tate

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_yoked.htm

[/quote]

Dave Tate is the man.

[quote]Kalle wrote:

Crew’s got this covered… If you want to eat cookies, eat cookies. Don’t justify its for you to get swole… I mean if you REALLY need to than go ahead but my point still stands your trying to eat 3,000 calories a day. I am DIETING eating 2,600 calories a day and have lost 16lbs of fat doing this.

I am starving most of the day doing this. I have no idea how 2,000 calories can seem like a lot of calories! Just make big ass things of hamburger and whole wheat pasta or something. Big pots of Chili, drink a glass of milk with a few meals. 16 ounces of milk is an extra 300+ calories and is probably comparable to a couple cookies as far as filling wise goes.

[/quote]

Well it sounds from your post that we’re in different circumstances. That you lost 16 pounds of fat and can still function means that you probably were carrying around a lot of fat. If I lost 16 lbs of fat, I’d probably be in the hospital.

The other problem is that I don’t like cooking that much. This is something I have to change.

[quote]wooldog wrote:
Kalle wrote:

Crew’s got this covered… If you want to eat cookies, eat cookies. Don’t justify its for you to get swole… I mean if you REALLY need to than go ahead but my point still stands your trying to eat 3,000 calories a day. I am DIETING eating 2,600 calories a day and have lost 16lbs of fat doing this.

I am starving most of the day doing this. I have no idea how 2,000 calories can seem like a lot of calories! Just make big ass things of hamburger and whole wheat pasta or something. Big pots of Chili, drink a glass of milk with a few meals. 16 ounces of milk is an extra 300+ calories and is probably comparable to a couple cookies as far as filling wise goes.

Well it sounds from your post that we’re in different circumstances. That you lost 16 pounds of fat and can still function means that you probably were carrying around a lot of fat. If I lost 16 lbs of fat, I’d probably be in the hospital.

The other problem is that I don’t like cooking that much. This is something I have to change.
[/quote]

I weighed 145lbs in 2005 buddy. I bulked to 210 and am now just under 190. What I am trying to get at is while going from 145 to 210 I gained a bunch of muscle I also gained a good amount of bf and I had the same mentality as you do. “Well I need to gain weight so eating a box of cookies will help me” See what I mean?

If you want to eat cookies and stuff, do it. Just don’t justify it as for making mass gains.

Hell I could barely even cook when i started, I hated it to. You just have to get used to it. Cook in bulk so you only have to do it once or twice a week. Makes life a lot easier.

Oh.

I like cookies, but yeah I thought it was great that they had so many calories. I don’t think it was a justification cause I’d have been perfectly happy not eating them. I don’t need to justify eating or not eating cookies to myself b/c it’s not something I feel guilty about. I’ve never been fat or watched my weight.

Cooking in bulk makes sense.

wooldog, don’t use cookies as your source of extra calories and such. think about everything else you’re consuming with them (sugars, etc).

I suggest eating something else, gain your weight intelligently.

[quote]bmitch wrote:
lmao, there is like 50 people telling him to eat them[/quote]

Maybe he’ll learn his lesson after that…

“guys I consumed 1,000 extra calories from cookies and gained 30 pounds in a month.” — “If I’m cutting, can I replace the cookies with 500 calories of fruit roll ups to create a caloric deficit?”

honestly though are you really going to get fat if you get your protein, good fats, and fibre and just pig on cookies shit if you aim to overtrain? ie

3x 2.5 hours oly lifting
3x 1.5 hours bodybuilding
and maybe a barbel complex here and there

per week

i say this because i am 170lbs and train this much per week, on about 4000 calories and while it is possible to eat more clean calories, is it really worth the grief? i mean fuck it why don ti just start drinking juice and eating cookies and shit so im brimming with carbs and energy to squat more. i dont give a shit how lean i am, i just want to be STRONGER.

people say that eating anthing not nailed down is a bad way to bulk, but the strongest people seem to be doing exactly that. and it takes a few months to lose fat, it takes years to gain muscle and strength. i say fuck it and dig into a bag of chips

ps 1 bag 97 cent hostess chips is something like 20g protein, 250g carbs, 80g fat. maybe 2500 calories. put away two of those a day on top of your normal meal, get your adequate protein, fish oils, flax, etc and you can easily reach near 10,000 cals a day. for 2.00 a day extra

[quote]schultzie wrote:
honestly though are you really going to get fat if you get your protein, good fats, and fibre and just pig on cookies shit if you aim to overtrain? ie

3x 2.5 hours oly lifting

per week[/quote]

what?

okay i severely overestimated the amount of calories in a bag of chips. also i got riled up and started making no sense

[quote]schultzie wrote:

3x 2.5 hours oly lifting

per week

i say this because i am 170lbs and train this much per week, on about 4000 calories and while it is possible to eat more clean calories, is it really worth the grief? i mean fuck it why don ti just start drinking juice and eating cookies and shit so im brimming with carbs and energy to squat more. i dont give a shit how lean i am, i just want to be STRONGER.

people say that eating anthing not nailed down is a bad way to bulk, but the strongest people seem to be doing exactly that. and it takes a few months to lose fat, it takes years to gain muscle and strength. i say fuck it and dig into a bag of chips

ps 1 bag 97 cent hostess chips is something like 20g protein, 250g carbs, 80g fat. maybe 2500 calories. put away two of those a day on top of your normal meal, get your adequate protein, fish oils, flax, etc and you can easily reach near 10,000 cals a day. for 2.00 a day extra[/quote]

See. This is kind of my perspective.

I don’t know what to believe.

[quote]wooldog wrote:
schultzie wrote:

3x 2.5 hours oly lifting

per week

ps 1 bag 97 cent hostess chips is something like 20g protein, 250g carbs, 80g fat. maybe 2500 calories. put away two of those a day on top of your normal meal, get your adequate protein, fish oils, flax, etc and you can easily reach near 10,000 cals a day. for 2.00 a day extra

[/quote]

Try it out, see what happens, whats the worst that can happen?

[quote]wooldog wrote:

[/quote]

You should be looking at the QUALITY of the nutrients you consume rather than the quantity.

I don’t think eating, say, 3 cookies a day is going to kill you or be truly adverse. However, if you end up getting the majority of your calories from the cookies, then there is definitely a problem with your diet, I would think.

Also, I said in my other reply that it’s not just calories that you’re consuming. You’re also eating sugars, fats, carbs, etc. Those are all things you have to look out for when you eat.

I would suggest just eating more healthy foods. While price is definitely a concern, so is your health, right?

Eat your 2.5x bodyweight in grams of protein. Eat some veggies. Eat some simple carbs. If you’re still hungry, eat some god damn cookies!

The problem with too many people: (just like those that think they put some weight in their hands and magically get huge) you won’t get fucking fat after one bag of cookies.

Perspective, people.

[quote]kroby wrote:
…you won’t get fucking fat after one bag of cookies.

Perspective, people.[/quote]

Well, obviously. My argument is that why would you wanna just eat to get big? Personally, I’d shoot for eating to put on LEAN mass, not just mass. Like I said before, a few cookies a day won’t make you fat, but if they become a staple of your diet, where you rely on them for mass, then there’s obviously a nutritional problem.

dont see what the big deal is…i eat a spoonful of crisco every night before bed to bulk up you need fat in your diet right?

Well I have a surprising update.

I weighed myself yesterday and I’ve lost 5 pounds since I started eating cookies and milk. I’ve gained muscle mass, especially in my shoulders and traps, but lost weight?

And it’s not like I’ve started a new program. I don’t understand my body and am very frustrated.

I’m a very hard gainer, but this is what worked for me to gain mass:

I eat 4 big meals
breakfast
lunch
dinner
2’nd dinner

inbetween those meals, I eat 4 natural peanut butter and natural jelly sandwiches on whole grain or wheat bread throughout the day that I carry around in a plastic bag with some protein shakers. (I look like a bum, walking around with a bag full of food to my work and night classes.) I also eat a small bag of Planters “Sweet and Nutty” trailmix.

between the pb&j’s and trailmix, thats about 3500-4000 calories right there not including the 4 big meals.

Eating big and high calories is not that hard man. I’d say stay away from the cookies and processed shit and make some PB&J and down a bag of trailmix. Also carry around a small bottle of olive oil. 1 tablespoon is usually 120 calories right there.

Eat!!

tks, but I guess you missed the part where I mentioned I’m allergic to peanuts…

damn, I can’t believe you lost weight…

…however, that could be water weight, body refuse, or what-have-you. don’t be discouraged.

maybe you should eat more cookies? lol

[quote]schultzie wrote:

3x 2.5 hours oly lifting

per week

ps 1 bag 97 cent hostess chips is something like 20g protein, 250g carbs, 80g fat. maybe 2500 calories. put away two of those a day on top of your normal meal, get your adequate protein, fish oils, flax, etc and you can easily reach near 10,000 cals a day. for 2.00 a day extra[/quote]

see the dave tate project about that one…